Talk

Advanced search

Girl's names... I like too many

(23 Posts)
FeedTheSharkAndItWIllBite Mon 24-Apr-17 10:38:34

Now that the boy's names list is narrowed down to two names... I need to somehow do the same for the girl's names (I'm still convinced we're having a boy, but better safe than sorry, right?)

DD's name starts with a C, 3 syllables. It's a classic name but it has never been popular in the UK.

Isidora (I know that Isadora is more commonly used. But I don't like the nn Isa... Not at all.)
Maxine
Noa (is it too short compared to DD's name?)
Fleur
Elisabeth
Arielle
Erica
Iona (DH loves it. I'm hesitant... Because neither of us is Scottish.)

SuperBeagle Mon 24-Apr-17 11:44:06

I like Elisabeth (spelt Elizabeth though). The only other one I like is Erica, which is quite unusual nowadays.

I think whether you spell it Isadora or Isidora, she's going to get either Izzy or Dora as a nickname. I can't see "Isa" happening.

halcyondays Mon 24-Apr-17 11:50:22

Iona , it doesn't matter if you're not Scottish or Elisabeth but with a z

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 24-Apr-17 11:55:34

Isidora = Wizardora.

I'm not keen on Fleur, sounds like you are clearing your throat when you say it.

I quite like the others on your list but Maxine seems a different style from, say, Noa or Arielle. It's unusual today though.

Rosieroundabouts Mon 24-Apr-17 11:57:34

Love Arielle such a pretty name smile

FeedTheSharkAndItWIllBite Mon 24-Apr-17 12:00:03

I quite like the others on your list but Maxine seems a different style from, say, Noa or Arielle.

Aw, thanks. smile What do you mean with it's a different style?

WitchesGlove Mon 24-Apr-17 12:00:33

Love Erica and Iona

WitchesGlove Mon 24-Apr-17 12:00:54

Maxine is very coronation street

FeedTheSharkAndItWIllBite Mon 24-Apr-17 12:01:56

Witches

Never watched it, sorry (didn't grow up in the UK...) I'll google it.

Cammysmoma Mon 24-Apr-17 12:03:39

I like Iona, I am Scottish and I don't know anyone called Iona x

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 24-Apr-17 12:05:51

What nice names, yes it's tough narrowing them down.
What feels a natural combo with your DD1's name if you call them out or write them down?
Iona sounds great, as for the Q of whether it's suitable because there's no family Scottish link, well you are considering Fleur and Arielle but are you French? smile

FeedTheSharkAndItWIllBite Mon 24-Apr-17 12:11:11

Donkey

I'm from a country where French is a national language and have relatives I speak French with. So, I'm not French, but French names seem like a very natural choice to me personally (not sure if that makes sense...)

I think the suggestion of thinking about what feels natural is a good one. I don't think Noa feels natural.
It's a bit like having for example an Elisabetta and an Aya. (nothing against Elisabetta or Aya. But the names just don't go together in my mind...)

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 24-Apr-17 12:22:33

I did wonder if there was a French association! I practised writing our shortlisted names for DC2 as though on birthday cards etc.
I don't think the number of syllables matters as much as the way the names run together though of course they're individuals in their own right and as the DCs grow up they're not always by each other's side.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 24-Apr-17 12:26:47

Going against the grain here, I like Maxine.
I also like Elisabeth and Iona.

FeedTheSharkAndItWIllBite Mon 24-Apr-17 12:36:21

Going against the grain here, I like Maxine.

I also like it. We also thought about Maxima... But Maxine just kind of "edged" it...

I don't think the number of syllables matters as much as the way the names run together though

Hm... DD's name ends in an A. It depends on which name I'd say first, right? But all of those names could be said together without running into each other (like... Arielle and C.... would work. But C... and Arielle would run into each other. Just like Elisabeth and C would work. But C and Elisabeth wouldn't...)

I don't think I'm making sense. Oops.

Sophronia Mon 24-Apr-17 12:44:28

Isidora is lovely!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 24-Apr-17 12:48:31

Maybe leave thinking it over for a little while? Perhaps a favourite will pop into your head.

FeedTheSharkAndItWIllBite Mon 24-Apr-17 13:10:15

Sophronia

Aww, thanks. I think it's the one that's most similar in style (not in an actual "matchy" way) to DD's name.

as for the person that said they can't see Isa as a nn. That's awesome, so I'm unlikely to ever hear it from classmates etc.

But in my part of the family Isa seems like the nn for Isabella. So, I think it would also be like that for Isadora. So, yeah. That's why.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 24-Apr-17 15:00:23

feed what I mean by different styles is that Noa, Iona and Arielle are very pretty ethereal names, Elisabeth and Erica are classic, and Maxine is quite 70s retro. I think my favourite of these is Elisabeth, but it's worth considering what nicknames you anticipate for all of them and if you can live with the ones you don't particularly like. Because it's sods law that the one you dislike will become the one either the child likes or their friends stick with!

Rockaby Mon 24-Apr-17 15:14:19

I like Isidora, Noa and Iona best. All lovely, though I agree with pp who said they can't see the nn Isa ever happening, regardless of how you spell it. Izzy or Dora seem the most likely. Dotty maybe? Anyway, if you choose that name, I would just go with the spelling you like best smile.

nevernotstruggling Mon 24-Apr-17 15:15:40

Maxine!!! I never meet kids with that name and it's really strong I reckon. My second favourite is Erica

ilovepixie Mon 24-Apr-17 15:17:46

Don't like Maxine. Reminds me of Maxine Carr!

FeedTheSharkAndItWIllBite Mon 24-Apr-17 16:06:38

I agree that in the UK we're unlikely to get Isa. But pretty muchevery Isabel/la I met growing up was called Isa. I think that would be the nn im my family... And I can't stand it. Hate it with a passion.

And according to the already mentioned Sod's law the LO would end up loving Isa and decide to go by that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now