Talk

Advanced search

Importance of a good flow? (middle names and everlasting surnames)

(9 Posts)
Donostia Sat 22-Apr-17 07:17:47

We're really stuck. Baby due in June.

How important is it that the full names scan when said all together?

Our prospective name really doesn't. Part of the problem is that we gave DS my maiden name as a second middle name, and it has the same vowels and syllables as our surname, and the first and middle name we like also share these syllables.

The first name is the only name we can both agree on. We have polar opposite tastes so I am so relieved we finally have a middle ground!

The second name I am desperate to include, it honours an important family member and I really pushed for it as a first name!

I've changed our surnames but the gist is:

Madeline Harriet Farrah Callan.

INeedNewShoes Sat 22-Apr-17 07:24:37

If you both love the first name just go with it. As long as the first and surname don't sound ridiculous it'll be fine. How often will the full four names be said out loud anyway?

kingscrossnoodle Sat 22-Apr-17 07:28:19

Not important at all. I don't recall ever saying my kids names out in full and the eldest is 16.

It's more a case of
'Oh baby is lovely, what's her name?'
'Jemima'
'Ah, jemima, that's nice, does she have a middle name?'
'Yes, its puddleduck'
'Aww, how is she sleeping at night?'

Donostia Sat 22-Apr-17 07:59:42

Thank you! I agree you never really say it in full but its quite a mouthful, isn't it!? And everyone keeps talking about the importance of a good flow!!!

Must check the vicar at the Christening can pronounce the letter 'a' well!

Redyellowpinkblue Sat 22-Apr-17 08:03:10

Its not important IMO. Nobody uses their full name often, I think the last time I actually said the whole thing was 3 years ago in hospital before an operation and they needed it for the consent form. I wouldn't worry!

sycamore54321 Sat 22-Apr-17 08:12:06

I think it sounds fine actually. Long obviously but not silly-sounding. This could be because I pronounce Callan as closer to Cal-in; I've never heard it said any other way. The A in the first two names also sound slightly different to me.

FrancisCrawford Sat 22-Apr-17 08:17:11

That sounds fine to me.

I have a three syllable first name, two shorter middle names and a four syllable surname and that flows quite nicely. Although I don't use my first name. But it definitely sounds better with the longest name first.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 22-Apr-17 08:31:39

Go with it OP, it sounds fine. 😄

Marlboroandmalbec34 Sat 22-Apr-17 18:05:43

It's lovely! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now