Elle or Amelia? Please help!!!

(23 Posts)
user1492722135 Thu 20-Apr-17 22:04:47

I am over the moon to be expecting a baby girl!
Me and my partner fell in love with the name Elle. Since then, Some people have commented that it is too short as a first name or unusual. This has made us question the name. The other name we love is Amelia. Please share your opinions.
Thanks

histinyhandsarefrozen Thu 20-Apr-17 22:09:18

Congratulations!

E-names are tremendously popular right now but I like Elle. Especially nice with a longer surname.

Amelia is also a lovely name, but it's been in the top 5 for a few years, I think.

Not that that matters really.

SuperBeagle Thu 20-Apr-17 22:16:10

Amelia.

But if you like Elle and Amelia, maybe you'd like the spelling Emilia instead?

I think Elle is a difficult name to make work. If you have a long, or dramatic surname, it could work. But for the majority of surnames, it just doesn't sound right. You could use a longer first name with Elle as a nickname though: Eloise, Elizabeth, Eleanor etc.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 20-Apr-17 22:33:52

Agree Emilia.

FeedTheSharkAndItWIllBite Thu 20-Apr-17 22:35:30

Congratulations!

I'm not a fan of Elle. Amelia is nice but super popular. I agree with pps, Emilia is lovely.

Mumoftheark Thu 20-Apr-17 23:06:57

I love Amelia or Emilia

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 20-Apr-17 23:12:40

I think your mind was made up when you said" You'd fallen in love with the name Elle. I think you'll regret it if you don't use it. I can see why Amelia is popular, as it's gorgeous. However its gotten tedious, surely the Amelia fads over now.

Kazzawazza69 Thu 20-Apr-17 23:48:03

I've never liked the name Amelia for some reason, it seems kind of stuffy to me. Elle is pretty but can sound like the initial L which I imagine might cause confusion when saying the name over the phone?

Singingforsanity Fri 21-Apr-17 00:24:46

I'd go for Elle, especially as it's the name you've fallen in love with! How about a name with 'Elle' at the end? Like Noelle, Emmanuelle, Arielle, Estelle or Arabelle?

MargotLovedTom1 Fri 21-Apr-17 00:26:19

How would you pronounce Amelia though? wink

TalkingofMichaelAngel0 Fri 21-Apr-17 00:27:52

I teach so many elles who think their name is ellie. In fact none pronounce it elle! winds me up no end.

OkPedro Fri 21-Apr-17 00:29:40

I have friend who named her dd Elle but pronounces it Ellie are you going with Elle like Elle McPherson? Love the name Elle 💜 Amelia is lovely too but Elle is a winner for me.. Congratulations flowers

IllMetByMoonlight Fri 21-Apr-17 00:31:30

Elle is super gorgeous! It was on our list too. Do it.
Or perhaps Ellen Amelia, if you want both. I love Ellen too.

Catherinebee85 Fri 21-Apr-17 00:44:15

I love the idea of having a longer name like Arielle or the ones already suggested by a PP and shortening it.

If you love Elle though, go for it. It's pretty and it's a stand alone name

upthewolves Fri 21-Apr-17 01:11:52

I've always loved the name Elle. Unfortunately I agree with pps that it can sound awkward with a lot of surnames - it doesn't work with my own. If you think it flows with yours though go for it! It's beautiful.

Dothehokeykokey Fri 21-Apr-17 01:23:28

Eloise, shortened to Elle if that is what you want to do but gives her the option to be a bit less like all the other elle's if she wants to

Redpramlady Fri 21-Apr-17 09:09:54

Elle is lovely and I think it works well for all ages. Doesn't need to be long and frilly although the Emilia opinion is nice. if you don't use it you may regret it or not feel quite right about the other name you choose. I feel this way about the name pippa! Didn't use it although it's still my fav because of the slang meanings in European countries ruined it booo!

Montsti Fri 21-Apr-17 09:12:28

I'm not keen on Amelia but love Emilia😕...

Or how about Eliana although Elle is a name in its own right so if you both love it, go for it!

user1492757084 Fri 21-Apr-17 09:31:49

Elle is gorgeous.
If you really want a longer form you could use Gabrielle, Ellen, Ella, Fenella, Raphaelle or Ellinor or many others..

GirlcalledJames Fri 21-Apr-17 12:13:30

It would get to me that it just means 'she' but if that doesn't bother you why not?
I couldn't use Ella, Mia, Cara for similar reasons, but plenty of people do.

user1492681519 Fri 21-Apr-17 12:16:07

Elle is much prettier smile

funtimebobby Sun 23-Apr-17 10:30:56

Elle is a lovely name.

Rockaby Sun 23-Apr-17 10:51:16

Either option is fine! Whichever you prefer tbh. Amelia may give her more options I suppose?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now