Talk

Advanced search

Opinions!

(43 Posts)
Jem2013scout Thu 20-Apr-17 20:07:35

We love the name Jack John for a boy, JJ as nn

But I am aware that Jack is/was used as a nn for John in the past. (I don't think that many people are aware of it now from what I've surmised)

What do you think?

TIA smile

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 20-Apr-17 20:16:49

Do it OP, It sounds great.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:18:00

I don't think you should.

Jack Joseph?

SuperBeagle Thu 20-Apr-17 20:20:37

Awful.

Like naming your child Bill William.

toffeeboffin Thu 20-Apr-17 20:21:47

No?

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Thu 20-Apr-17 20:22:56

Just no. .

tethersend Thu 20-Apr-17 20:24:20

All the JJs I've known were John-Jo(e)s

Pallisers Thu 20-Apr-17 20:29:26

I would think you had given the same name twice. All the Jacks I knew growing up were actually Johns. I know that is dying out now but it would still sound odd to me. I don't think it has a particularly great sound together either.

Jem2013scout Thu 20-Apr-17 20:31:03

The choice of names are for family reasons. Not just that I've picked them out of a hat, that's why I'm asking opinions! Lol blush

To be honest I didn't even know it was a thing until somebody mentioned it!

Jem2013scout Thu 20-Apr-17 20:32:32

We definitely want to keep the John as middle name. DP, DF and DGF middle name and we love it.

It's just we both liked Jack as a first name!

yikesanotherbooboo Thu 20-Apr-17 20:38:13

You can do what you like so don't worry.... in our family Jacks are christened John so I would be in the find it odd camp. There are lots of combinations to make JJ which is a well known but also quite appealing, in my opinion, nickname .
If it is JJ that you are after ... John/ Jonathan/ Joseph/ James etc work really ( typically I think Joseph is in there)

wigglesrock Thu 20-Apr-17 20:39:18

It's the same name, well I think of it as the same name, to me it's like calling your child Sandy Alexander.

Lola247 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:41:12

Bit of a mouthful I feel if it is meant as 2 first names. However as a middle name I can see why you want John

Jem2013scout Thu 20-Apr-17 20:42:13

The only reason I didn't find it odd is because I honestly didn't know about it until a few months ago I promise! blush haha

Now we have JJ in our head I think it's just sticking, it doesn't have to be of course, but I would really love a John as middle name.

The other names we like just don't seem to go with John...

Jem2013scout Thu 20-Apr-17 20:51:03

We like Freddie and Louis too...

I just don't think either go with John...

Do they?

BitOutOfPractice Thu 20-Apr-17 21:02:00

I'd think "I wonder why that child has two names the same" to be honest. Sorry

Floellabella Thu 20-Apr-17 21:03:12

I think Freddie John and Louis John both sound great OP. I think people get too hung up on how well a middle name flows, hardly ever do people say an entire name out loud. The main thing is that the middle name here is meaningful to you. I do however think you need to avoid Jack John, for the reasons outlined by everyone else. It's just incorrect. But almost any other J name would work. Good luck!

Loyly Thu 20-Apr-17 21:05:12

I love John and Jack is fine - but to me (as others have said) they are the very same name and could not be used together.

BitOutOfPractice Thu 20-Apr-17 21:13:39

Sorry again OP but I don't really like these initial nick names either

Jem2013scout Thu 20-Apr-17 21:17:15

It's definitely been scrapped now, I just think I needed to hear it from others, as the people I've mentioned it too didn't seem to know a thing about it! blushsmile

Thanks all!

We're batting around a few other names now, ones I wouldn't of thought DP would of gone for and we now have Noah and Ethan into the mix so we're not feeling as lost now!

Jem2013scout Thu 20-Apr-17 21:19:56

@Floellabella my mums said that too. I think you're right I was getting a little too hung up on it.

DP liked Myles as well - I didn't mind it either until we realised - DPs last name is Holmes 😂😂😂

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 20-Apr-17 22:36:46

Jonathan James (JJ).

Pallisers Thu 20-Apr-17 23:02:35

I think John works as a middle name with nearly every name (except Jack!).

Frederick John (would it be Frederick?) or Louis John are great.

Like your mum says, people rarely say the full name (my son has a great middle name that really flows well but I doubt anyone in his life outside family actually know it)

Pallisers Thu 20-Apr-17 23:02:58

I'd love to be naming a baby again smile

Isawahatonce Thu 20-Apr-17 23:07:41

What about Jackson John? Although I didn't know Jack was a nn for John

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now