Talk

Advanced search

Sarah with nn Sadie?

(22 Posts)
Rockaby Wed 19-Apr-17 19:08:21

All hypothetical ATM as only just started TTC.

I love the name Sadie, but wonder if it is going to sound a bit dated in twenty years time. I've read online, (not terribly reliable sources admittedly), that it is traditionally a nn for Sarah.

Do you think Sarah on the BC with nn Sadie would work, or is it all a bit tenuous?

BeyondThePage Wed 19-Apr-17 19:10:12

tenuous to me - I have a niece named Sadie, she's 12.

Whosthemummynow Wed 19-Apr-17 19:10:56

I'd just name her Sadie tbh...

PlayingGrownUp Wed 19-Apr-17 19:15:08

My aunt is Sarah known as Sadie and my granny is Sarah known as Sally. I'd say Sadie is fine though.

Greensiren2014 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:16:41

My great aunt was Sarah known as Sadie but personally I'd just go with Sadie (which I love!)

DramaAlpaca Wed 19-Apr-17 19:17:42

I think it would be fine. I've heard of Sadie being used as a nn for Sarah before.

BackforGood Wed 19-Apr-17 19:22:10

If I wanted to call my dd Sadie, then I'd put that name on the birth certificate.
I understand that people use 'shortening' of names.... that 'Susan' will always be Sue, that 'Penelope' is always going to be called 'Penny' but I don't see the point in giving a child one name then using another altogether.

starfishmummy Wed 19-Apr-17 19:24:25

I'm with other posters. Just call her Sadie.

wigglesrock Wed 19-Apr-17 19:27:59

My granny was Sarah known as Sadie. We just used Sadie for a middle name, tbh I wish I'd used it as a first name - one of my fave names grin

SuperBeagle Wed 19-Apr-17 19:29:52

I love both names, but I don't think it'll stick. In the same way that Jack is not used as a nickname for John anymore, or Daisy as a nickname for Margaret, Sadie isn't used as a nickname for Sarah anymore and I think you'll have a hard time making it stick.

If you like Sadie, name her that. Otherwise I'm sure she'll just get a lifetime of people calling her Sarah.

Oly5 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:38:17

Just call her Sadie, nicer than Saraha anyway! Don't think it will date

Rockaby Wed 19-Apr-17 20:30:08

Thanks all.

I really do love it. It isn't our usual style, but I will definitely keep it in mind if we end up having another girl.

FeedTheSharkAndItWIllBite Wed 19-Apr-17 23:03:14

Sure, Sarah nn Sadie is nice imo smile

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 19-Apr-17 23:10:19

I like Sarah. Its nice and refreshing, now a days. I despise Sadie. Its horrible, but. Its not my baby, so if you like it. That's fine.

Sophronia Thu 20-Apr-17 00:11:03

I love Sarah (unusual for a baby nowadays). Not keen on Sadie but I think it's fine as a nn for Sarah.

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 20-Apr-17 11:34:12

I know three young Sarahs so not sure it is actually that unusual these days.

2014newme Thu 20-Apr-17 11:36:56

Just go with Sadie

IHeartKingThistle Thu 20-Apr-17 11:39:02

I taught a Sadie short for Mercedes!

ladybird69 Thu 20-Apr-17 11:48:17

Sadie is a family name, with a great aunt and a cousin called it. It suits all ages I love it.

BasicBetty Thu 20-Apr-17 12:32:02

I like both names, but I don't think Sadie works as a nickname for Sarah IMO.

MaroonPencil Thu 20-Apr-17 12:35:09

I think both Sadie and Sally, which were nicknames for Sarah in the past, can be used as names in their own right now - like Jack.

I do love the name Sarah though, it's beauty was diminished by being the name of every other girl in my school year but it's a lovely name and I bet it comes back quite soon.

Flicketyflack Thu 20-Apr-17 12:36:46

My husband, who is Scottish, had an Aunt called Sadie. Her birth name was Sarah so I wonder whether it is a tradition in Scotland?

It lasted her until she died in her seventies and she was always known to DH as Aunt Sadie.

I think it is entirely up to you. Many people are known by other names I think it is a personal preference! You will get every opinion when you post on Mumsnet. Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now