Talk

Advanced search

Emer Lily- Opinions?

(60 Posts)
liadaintheirishpoetess Wed 19-Apr-17 12:34:18

I think we've just about settled on Emer Lily (pronounced EE-mer). We've gone back and forth with Orla and Emer but we've taken the plunge and decided Emer's probably the best. What do you think of Emer Lily?

Our other children are Killian Joshua, Aoife Rose, Aislinn Juliet, Ruairi Benjamin and Lachlan Isaac. Does her name go well with theirs?
General opinions would be much appreciated.
Thank you smile

Ecureuil Wed 19-Apr-17 12:36:43

I've never heard the name Emer before but I like it!
I also like Orla though...

Reow Wed 19-Apr-17 12:38:49

As long as you don't mind correcting everyone pronouncing it as Emma?

AGapInTheMarket Wed 19-Apr-17 12:39:35

My child has a little friend called Ima? I think that's a bit more phonetic/ bit less likely to end up Emma.

DaisyChainsForever Wed 19-Apr-17 12:39:59

I'd be worried that Emer would be forever pronounced Emma and you and ur dd will spend a life time explaining it.

Reow Wed 19-Apr-17 12:40:29

Ima spelling is much better

ScarletSienna Wed 19-Apr-17 12:41:35

I like Emer but think it may be a little close in sound to Aoife.

liadaintheirishpoetess Wed 19-Apr-17 12:42:28

We are in Ireland so should have no issues with pronunciation hopefully!

liadaintheirishpoetess Wed 19-Apr-17 12:44:13

Now @ScarletSienna I thought that, but we pronounce EE-mer with the mer sounding like the start of mermaid and pronounce EE-fa with the fa sounding like the start of fantastic so it does sound pretty different when you say it.

Thatextrainch Wed 19-Apr-17 12:44:32

I thought Emer was the anglicised Eimear? Am I wrong?

SuperBeagle Wed 19-Apr-17 12:46:06

I'd pronounce it like Emma, but it wouldn't be a problem in Ireland, presumably. I like it 😊

liadaintheirishpoetess Wed 19-Apr-17 12:48:37

@Thatextrainch you're not wrong but not right either. Emer is a variation in spelling of Eimear, neither are the anglicised version, I think?

ScarletSienna Wed 19-Apr-17 12:52:55

In my southern English accent, both beginning and ending sounds are the same but I can see not in an Irish accent so go for it! It's a lovely name.

FrancisCrawford Wed 19-Apr-17 13:02:12

Embers a fairly popular name in Ireland, so can't see any issues there

And it sounds nothing like Emma!

Teabagtits Wed 19-Apr-17 13:21:59

Would people not think you were saying Emily with a south east speech impediment?

lorelairoryemily Wed 19-Apr-17 13:25:04

I'd spell in Eimear, beautiful name and as you're in Ireland ther won't be any pronunciation issues. Ima is a ridiculous spelling!!

MiniMaxi Wed 19-Apr-17 14:07:16

I like Emer Lily!

Personally prefer Orla, but not Orla Lily - too many L's!

RedDogsBeg Wed 19-Apr-17 14:15:50

It's nice, OP, in fact all your children's names are nice even though my English pronunciation probably wouldn't do them justice.

liadaintheirishpoetess Wed 19-Apr-17 15:30:33

Thanks @RedDogsBeg!! Please do keep your advice coming.

greeeen Wed 19-Apr-17 15:38:19

Sounds like Emma in a west county accent to me and I can't get past that. Really like Orla though.

Rockaby Wed 19-Apr-17 15:42:21

I am Irish but live in England. I prefer Orla to Emer, but both are nice. Maybe wait till she arrives and see which suits her best?

FrancisCrawford Wed 19-Apr-17 15:43:44

Emer is pronounced "Ee-Mir"
Emma is "Em-a"

Different vowel sounds at the start and Emma doesn't have an "r" in it so the two names sound totally different

It's a very old Irish name - one of the daughters of Lir?

LapinR0se Wed 19-Apr-17 15:45:05

LOvely name, doesn't need the lily

mumsiedarlingrevolta Wed 19-Apr-17 15:46:56

I have an Irish friend named Emer and she pronounces in EEEEE-ma. (definitely not pronouncing "R" on the end)

You'll just need to be patient and correct people if they get it wrong-my DD's name has two different pronunciations and she hates when ppl get it wrong but I love her name so when ppl get it wrong I just say it back to them how we pronounce it.

CrazedZombie Wed 19-Apr-17 15:48:06

I'm English but the name Emer Lily looks like a misspelled Emily. (Emilily?) I would go for Emer but with a different middle name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now