Talk

Advanced search

DH wants to use the name Chelsea. Tack galore?

(134 Posts)
DeanaPiana Mon 17-Apr-17 12:46:00

Our daughter's first name will be Athena. I want Helen (my Mum's name), as her middle name. I highly dislike multiple middle names and so does DH.

He is set on having Chelsea as the middle name. He would've had it as a first name if I agreed.

Chelsea is his football club. Chelsea is where DD will be born.

AIBU to say it's tack galore? Do you think it's tacky? She'll be born in Chelsea and her Father is Chelsea. I cannot get passed it being terribly tacky and distasteful.

sad

Reow Mon 17-Apr-17 12:50:40

Awful tacky name. I would outright refuse.

Gallavich Mon 17-Apr-17 12:53:26

Dreadful!

DeanaPiana Mon 17-Apr-17 12:54:22

I agree Reow, he isn't taking it too well and thinks I'm terribly inconsiderate and thinks the name has even more purpose since she'll be born in Chelsea hmm

FilledSoda Mon 17-Apr-17 13:19:01

Hopefully he is winding you up

DayGlo Mon 17-Apr-17 13:22:01

Horrid and doesn't match Athena at all.

DeanaPiana Mon 17-Apr-17 13:33:18

Filled I've been hoping he has been winding me up, but it appears not.

DayGlo that's exactly what I think!

Bobbins43 Mon 17-Apr-17 13:36:38

I'm sorry but it really is a bit meh.

bear28 Mon 17-Apr-17 13:39:06

My sister has chelsea for my nieces middle name. no reason for it but its my sister all over. I think its tacky which is a shame, no reason behind it, no family meaning but hey ho, each to their own but I am certainly not fond! if you and your partner cannot agree on a middle name then you can't put that on the birth certificate. for the rest of her life you will think what an awful name it is!

Popskipiekin Mon 17-Apr-17 13:40:59

It's not brilliant is it. If he is adamant then tbh I think I might actually be persuaded to go for the multiple middle names, despite your objections. Athena Helen Chelsea X. Your DD can always choose not to use Chelsea. I believe she can also miss it off her passport if she likes? (Others may correct me here, but I've seen it said on MN). Yes it's a bit of a gimmick but I think it's slightly less awful if there's another middle name in there to soften the blow.

Dailymaildailyfail Mon 17-Apr-17 13:41:20

Chelsea is tacky but not sure Athena Helen XX works either? Athena is a gorgeous name and needs something simple as a middle name with two syllables max. Grace, Rose sound better as middle names to me!

BertrandRussell Mon 17-Apr-17 13:41:46

Use it but tell everyone it's because of Joni Mitchell. Much more acceptable.[ grin]

BertrandRussell Mon 17-Apr-17 13:42:54

Or just call her Helen Chelsea. Helen is a nuch nicer name than Athena.

KoalaDownUnder Mon 17-Apr-17 13:43:59

Grandma's name trumps football club, surely.

Also, Chelsea is tack-tastic. Helen is loads better.

DeanaPiana Mon 17-Apr-17 13:45:55

Thanks for backing me up!

If not Helen then what else could I use? Names like Rose and Grace bore me to tears as they're so popular.

My grandmother's name is Diana. I suppose that's too long a sounding? Any suggestions for short two syllable names that aren't overly used/classy and timeless?

DH doesn't want Helen anyway.

BigGreenOlives Mon 17-Apr-17 13:46:19

As it's a middle name so will hardly be used just go with it for entertainment value. Dd was at school with an Athena but we've never met a Chelsea.

DeanaPiana Mon 17-Apr-17 13:50:34

Definitely won't be just 'going with it' BigGreen as middle names and whole named are very important to me. I cannot stand Chelsea and know I'll dislike it forever more.

Athena will 100% be her first name, just wish I had a middle name sorted since Helen is too many syllables envy

RaeSkywalker Mon 17-Apr-17 13:50:52

I'm not sure that Athena Diana sounds right- it's the double "na" sound that jarrs for me.

I'd go with Helen I think. Other 2 syllable names-
Zoe
Kaitlyn
Ellen

DeanaPiana Mon 17-Apr-17 13:53:47

Rae I agree with you, the double a sounding is awful.

Not keen on any of those three middle names though and none ring home as classy and timeless to me sad

Isitjustmeorisiteveryoneelse Mon 17-Apr-17 13:55:48

Make it less tacky with a 'different' spelling? Tchelseee maybe? I'm joking.......
Or if he really loves the club but you can't stand the name, what about Stamford? I'm joking there too btw, I'm not helping am I?

Northgate Mon 17-Apr-17 13:57:25

Athena Helen sounds fine to me, I don't think it's too many syllables.

I wouldnt be keen on Chelsea either. Middle name after relative trumps middle name after favourite football team IMO, but then I'm not a football fan.

If he really hates Helen, would he go for other relatives names?

MrsMeeseeks Mon 17-Apr-17 13:59:08

Under no circumstances would I allow my child to be named after a football team <clutches pearls>

Athena Helen is lovely.

coxsorangepippin Mon 17-Apr-17 13:59:29

Maybe a classic one-syllable middle - Clare, Joy or Maud perhaps?

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Mon 17-Apr-17 14:00:20

Both Athena and Helen are Greek (as is Diana!) I'm always a bit envious of Helen's-she was the most beautiful woman in the world after all! All of my children have at least one Classical Greek name. I think Athena Helen is lovely smile

2014newme Mon 17-Apr-17 14:01:07

Athena is also bad. Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now