Talk

Advanced search

Emilia or Emily

(33 Posts)
Halfanhour Fri 14-Apr-17 13:42:34

And does Mia work as a nn for both?
thanks

SumAndSubstance Fri 14-Apr-17 13:47:11

Personally, I prefer Emily, but Mia is a name in itself, so why don't you just call her that if that is what you would like to call her? Otherwise, I do think Mia works better as nickname for Emilia than for Emily. All nice names, by the way!

squoosh Fri 14-Apr-17 13:52:48

I'd forget about Emily and Emilia if she's going to be called Mia day to day.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 14-Apr-17 13:56:04

I prefer Mia, it's lovely, and not as well used.

MistressMolecules Fri 14-Apr-17 14:12:31

I actually know quite a few children called Mia (under four). Of the two names I prefer Emily.

Halfanhour Fri 14-Apr-17 14:16:54

Thank you thanks.

Emily flows better imo. Emilia sounds 'posher' blush. Mia is sweet but I feel it's too short. I have always loved Mia having known one very smart and fun girl when I was at college. Is Mia for Emily pretentious then?

squoosh Fri 14-Apr-17 14:19:42

It's not that it's pretentious it just seems a bit pointless. Having said that I wouldn't question it if someone called Mia told me their name was actually Emily. But Mia is a proper name so if that's the name you love you should go with that. It's not as though it's the kind of name that will embarrass her when she's older.

mistermagpie Fri 14-Apr-17 14:40:57

Mia is lovely but it isn't short for either of those names in my opinion. You can't really 'force' a shortening either in my experience, people will probably call her 'Em' for short if anything.

Just call her Mia, it's a nicer name than the other two anyway!

MrsPringles Fri 14-Apr-17 14:42:22

My sister is an Emily. We have never called he Mia, she's usually just Em

Yika Fri 14-Apr-17 14:45:21

Emily. I agree with the others (a) why would you need a shorter nickname for a simple name like Emily (b) if you like Mia, call her Mia.

BounceBounceSplishSplash Fri 14-Apr-17 14:49:35

No matter how much I stretch my imagination I can't see how Mia is a nn for Emily or Emilia.

I prefer Emily but if you like Mia, call her Mia as a name rather than as a nn for a completely unrelated name.

Rockaby Fri 14-Apr-17 14:59:14

I prefer Mia to either Emilia or Emily, but I prefer Emily to Emilia.

Emily could be Mi-mi or Mia as a pet name.

ScarletSienna Fri 14-Apr-17 16:23:03

I don't like Mia very much as it sounds whiny. Love Emily but less keen on Emilia. I wouldn't think Mia is a natural nickname for either. Emilys that I know get shortened to Em and one goes by Milly.

Mrsknackered Fri 14-Apr-17 17:30:42

Mia on its own. Not a fan of Emilia or Emily

Polkadotties Fri 14-Apr-17 17:31:39

I'm an Emily and no one has ever shortened it to Mia

ChippieFishieHorshie Fri 14-Apr-17 17:32:35

I've never heard of Mia as a nn for Emily, they seem to be called Emmie or Milly. I like Emilia, it's really lovely. smile

MikeUniformMike Fri 14-Apr-17 17:38:04

Emily and Emilia sound nothing like Mia. Mia could be short for Maria (like Mia Farrow).

BackforGood Fri 14-Apr-17 17:46:10

I don't like Emilia. Would go for Amelia if you'd consider that? I think Emilia would be a pain due to people not being sure of spelling.

I like Emily. I don't think Mia is a natural shortening of it though. If you like Mia, then call her Mia.

Emily7708 Fri 14-Apr-17 17:54:54

I'm an Emily. You will never get Mia to stick as its just too different. I get called Em, Ems, Emmy, M&Ms, Embem - all sorts of weird things but never Mia or anything like it.

FaithAgain Fri 14-Apr-17 17:57:24

I know an Emilia, they call her Millie for short. I like Emily, Emilia and Mia smile I think I'd have them all in mind and see what she looks like when she arrives!

Judgejudy1 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:38:27

Emilia is one of my favourite names, and I love Mia as a shortened version - you can also have Lia, Em, Emmy... To me, Emily is very plain.
Nothing wrong with going with a longer name if that's what you like, even if you intend to shorten it from day one. I think that way, you can see what the child grows into a bit more.

relaxo Fri 14-Apr-17 18:47:54

I'd say that the more common (frequently used not chav) nicknames for Emilia would be Em, Millie, Lia, Mills... Mia would be best of it's own imo. My friend has just just had a Mila (one letter longer than Mia 😂)

MikeUniformMike Fri 14-Apr-17 18:53:41

How do you get Lia from Emilia? I've heard Emilia pronounced Em-ill-ya and Em-eel-ya but not Emm-ill-ee-a

Judgejudy1 Fri 14-Apr-17 19:21:23

I've heard it pronounced all three ways! I suppose with the 2nd and 3rd pronunciations, there's not too much of a difference if you're saying it quite quickly, if that makes sense?

ChippieFishieHorshie Fri 14-Apr-17 19:23:33

mike

Makes sense imo. I've known Giulias/Julias that were called Lia. So, why not Emilia? winkSeems reasonable to me personally...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now