Talk

Advanced search

Claudia/middle names meaning "strength"

(15 Posts)
HowcanIearnthis Tue 11-Apr-17 09:05:33

DH and I have quite different views on what would be a lovely name for DD2, arriving this summer. We have come down to Harriet and Claudia.

I do absolutely love Claudia. All the Claudias I have ever known have been strong, elegant women, and i know there are lots of German Claudia's and French Claudes. However, I am struggling a little bit to get past the meaning - lame. I understand that the Claudii imperial family were actually really strong rulers etc and that historically, the meaning has just attached to the last, lame, emperor, but it is the meaning which most people know.

Do you think it would work if paired with a middle name which means 'strong'? Bridgit is a family name, so might work, but if anyone had any other suggestions/thoughts on whether you would use the name under those circumstances, I would be really grateful. As D-Day gets closer, it has been going around in my head all night and I am driving myself ever so slightly crazy with it. Pregnancy insomnia is a terrible thing... Thanks for tolerating my slightly sleep deprived ramblings!

SherbertLemon2011 Tue 11-Apr-17 09:12:55

Claudia is very classy I think. Valerie also means strong if you want an alternative to Bridget

HelenaJustina Tue 11-Apr-17 09:13:33

I love both Claudia and Bridget.

Both were on our lists, I think the meaning of a name is fairly irrelevant tbh, how many times a year do you tell people what your name means?

But then I chose a name which means 'blind' so I'm perhaps not an unbiased observer!

HowcanIearnthis Tue 11-Apr-17 09:38:22

Thanks very much, both. That makes me feel a bit better. And apologies for the rogue apostrophe - oh the shame! It's my runaway autocorrect.

HowcanIearnthis Tue 11-Apr-17 09:38:34

Thanks very much, both. That makes me feel a bit better. And apologies for the rogue apostrophe - oh the shame! It's my runaway autocorrect.

neonrainbow Tue 11-Apr-17 09:41:08

Claudia is my favourite ever girls name. I would have used it but i had boys. I wasnt bothered about the meaning personally. Day to day they mean absolutely nothing. I think it used to have a different meaning pre Emperor Claudius anyway.

Lissette Tue 11-Apr-17 09:43:59

Astrid

Audra

Lissette Tue 11-Apr-17 09:45:38

Sorry, misread your post. Love Claudia as a name.

CaipirinhasAllRound Tue 11-Apr-17 10:12:30

Claudia is our choice for a girl.
I have no idea what my name means at age 39 so wouldn't let that be an issue

Sophronia Tue 11-Apr-17 13:20:15

Love Claudia.

Matilda means "strength in battle". Claudia Matilda might be nice.

kathkim Tue 11-Apr-17 13:25:57

Claudia is beautiful. You could also have the French Claudine.

HowcanIearnthis Wed 12-Apr-17 20:44:50

Great - thanks for taking the time to reply. Am feeling a good bit more confident about it now.

ChippieFishieHorshie Wed 12-Apr-17 20:59:25

My mother is a Claudia. She's (imo) the strongest woman I've ever met. It's a lovely name.smile

Names with a strong meaning are imo also Louisa/Louise/Ludovica, Mathilda and Victoria (or Vittoria/Victoire). I also like Bridgit.smile

FreeNiki Wed 12-Apr-17 21:02:02

Alexandra means defender of mankind / woman kind.

notanothernamechangebabes Wed 12-Apr-17 21:03:36

I'm a middle-named Louise- which has French origins and means "renowned warrior". My first name also means "warrior" in another language.

I am, unsurprisingly, pretty feisty.

Louise - and Louisa - is a lovely name. I think sadly underused as a first name, actually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now