Talk

Advanced search

Elsie Mabel

(68 Posts)
ExpatMrs Mon 10-Apr-17 19:22:01

I know it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks other than me and DH, however, my DM (who is the only grandparent - rest deceased 😞) absolutely detests it. She thinks it's so old. Whereas I think it's classic.

Anyway - what's the MN's thoughts on it?

ExpatMrs Mon 10-Apr-17 19:23:15

To clarify baby would just be known as Elsie. Mabel is the middle name.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 10-Apr-17 19:25:00

I like it! Both lovely names and they go together nicely

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 10-Apr-17 19:26:34

They're not classic because although both are now fashionable it wasn't that long ago they were considered to be "old lady" names.

Unless Mabel means something to you then maybe pick something genuinely classic just for balance.

Or do what you like. Once the baby's here your Mum won't care any more!

Astro55 Mon 10-Apr-17 19:28:17

I know 4 Elsie's - so very now I think it's the next Ellie or Milly type name

goodpiemissedthechips Mon 10-Apr-17 19:28:26

I agree they're not classic. They were very dated and have now come back. Nothing wrong with that.

ExpatMrs Mon 10-Apr-17 19:28:27

Mabel was my MIL. Passed away years ago before we were even together. It's all boys in the family so would like to include her name.

Itaintme Mon 10-Apr-17 19:29:30

Pick a more modern middle name. I don't think she will thank you for both those names as a teenager.

reuset Mon 10-Apr-17 19:30:20

It is going to feel more dated/old fashioned to your mother. Both names fine to me. Though I like personally Elizabeth with shortening of Elsie, but Elsie is more than fine on its own of course.

YoungYolandaYorgensen39 Mon 10-Apr-17 19:33:13

They are old lady names to your mum. My mum didn't like my name choices either and said they were old fashioned. She likes the names now the kids are here. Don't worry too much. You can be disapproving of your own grandkids' names in the future when you're told they will be called Darren or Donna.

ExpatMrs Mon 10-Apr-17 19:35:48

YoungYolanda - I was almost Donna apparently and still very relieved that I'm not!
(Apologies to those who are called Donna, it's just not for me blush)

Itaintme Mon 10-Apr-17 19:38:55

Names like Elsie are not really classic names or they would never have gone out of fashion.

goodpiemissedthechips Mon 10-Apr-17 19:42:33

expatmrs a friend of mine has a baby
Mabel. It may not make a huge comeback or anything but there are certainly a few of them out there. I wouldn't worry too much, if you love the names I don't think they'll be a problem for your daughter.

As a PP said, in a generation or two we can be horrified at plans to call new babies things like Darren, Donna, Gary and Karen wink

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 10-Apr-17 19:45:35

I quite like Karen.

Dh and I saw some family trees in a craft shop window and they were just perfect examples of changing tastes in names.

Debbie and Darren have Evie and William.

Karen and Steve have Imogen and Sebastian.

Sarah and Ian have Max, Henry and Jemima.

SumAndSubstance Mon 10-Apr-17 19:45:43

I agree they sound worse to your mum because they were 'old lady names', but old lady names are very much back in at the moment and won't seem like that to your daughter, I think. Incidentally, my grandmother was horrified by my name and told my mother it was a 'servant's name'! I've certainly never had anyone else think of it like that wink

ExpatMrs Mon 10-Apr-17 19:47:02

ItAintMe I've misused the term classic. You're all right, it's not classic. I meant that it's more old fashioned and not currently in the trending list of Olivia/Imogen etc (which I love but find too popular)

ExpatMrs Mon 10-Apr-17 19:48:52

SumAndSubstance
What constitutes a 'servants' name?! People do come out with the funniest things.

nannyplumislostinspace Mon 10-Apr-17 19:52:19

I love Mabel. Sorry but I really don't like Elsie at all. How about Mabel Elizabeth? Mabel Alexandra? Mabel Elise?

ExpatMrs Mon 10-Apr-17 19:55:30

NannyPlum I loved Alexandra but DH not a fan.
I don't mind Mabel but I don't love it enough to be a first name.

We have our boys name sorted so should probably just hope that the baby is male and then we won't have this worry!

SumAndSubstance Mon 10-Apr-17 20:01:34

What constitutes a 'servants' name?!

'Emma', apparently grin

merrymouse Mon 10-Apr-17 20:07:12

I think they are both lovely.

ExpatMrs Mon 10-Apr-17 20:08:40

Well now I know why no one else has ever thought it! I know a good few Emma's and they're all hugely different - servant never jumped to mind.

I'm now imagining I'm writing a book with a servant character in it and need a name... I actually can't think!

user1471558436 Mon 10-Apr-17 20:10:01

Maeve Maude Mabel. All lovely.

Thatextrainch Mon 10-Apr-17 20:26:45

Op Imogen was the 34th most popular name in 2015. Elsie was the 33rd most popular

FrenchLavender Mon 10-Apr-17 20:27:04

They are not classic names. They are names that were typical of a certain era and are fashionable again now. Elsie in particular is becoming quite popular.

Your mum is obviously of an age where she remembers the older women around her being called things like Elsie and Mabel and she associates the names with those older women from her childhood. It's difficult to get past those associations and see those names as cute or trendy or aspirational.

I suppose it's like you trying to imagine your DD one day calling her own child a name that is typical of your mum's era, like Pauline, Jackie, Donna, Diane, Maureen, Hilary, Wendy, Joanne etc. You wouldn't love it, would you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now