Talk

Advanced search

Does this make you think of...?

(23 Posts)
calimommy Mon 10-Apr-17 04:51:06

So DH and I settled on Benjamin James for baby and I was quite pleased and impressed that we decided a name so early this time and that I liked it so much. I've been thinking of it in the back of my mind for a few weeks and I'm still happy. But today DH mention that it might be shortened to BJ as a nick name (it's a First and middle name) by school mates. Thoughts?? I do not fancy him being called BJ!

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Mon 10-Apr-17 04:52:41

Nah, it'll get shortened to Ben.

ohidoliketobe Mon 10-Apr-17 04:55:52

My DS is called that. It did cross our minds but we went with it. No one has ever mentioned it. He's only 3 so obviously still has school to come, so who knows if there will be any comments then. If you're going to worry about initials, I'd be more concerned about first name / surname.

Out2pasture Mon 10-Apr-17 05:35:49

my son's initials are bm....never been mentioned by friends or family
another son's initials are pj....again never mentioned
Benjamin James is a lovely classic combo

calimommy Mon 10-Apr-17 05:56:45

Thanks 👍
Even after I posted my question I still thought, nah I really like it. Hopefully it will never happen. I'd really hate him to get nicknamed after a blow job😑 obviously!!!

nympthinyellow Mon 10-Apr-17 06:51:26

My first name is usually shortened so with my surname as a child my initials were BJ. Even then it was only noted a couple of times and I was never teased about it. He'll be fine, lovely name.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 10-Apr-17 08:10:05

It's really lovely OP, go with it.

calimommy Mon 10-Apr-17 15:18:25

👍

passingthrough1 Mon 10-Apr-17 15:24:04

I think if firstname surname were BJ you might want to think about it, not first and middle no. Most people don't know other people's middle names and if they do they will know in context of whole name (e.g. full initials BJA or whatever). Often you write down people's initials as short form or sometimes boys are known by initials but I've never ever heard of people using first and middle initial.

2014newme Mon 10-Apr-17 15:25:03

Sorry, bj was my first thought

Rockaby Mon 10-Apr-17 15:40:29

Both such lovely names op! But, I would probably avoid the initials BJ personally (sorry), but I'm an over thinker!

I hear James a lot as a middle name. Is there a particular meaning linked to the name James for you or your DH? If not I'd probably go for something else personally or else swap then round so it's James Benjamin.

I think these below also go well with Benjamin and are a similar sort of style to James:

William
George
Matthew
Luke
Peter
Andrew

goldenrachita Mon 10-Apr-17 16:09:42

It's a lovely name. Personally I'd avoid the initials UNLESS the names were so special you literally couldn't replace them. If that's the case (ie. Benjamin is your perfect boy name and James is an essential family name) then he can probably live with it. I'd draw the line at a girl with BJ as initials but boys could probably take it. It's not really insulting if used for a boy the way, for example Mr U. G. Lee might be! It probably would end up a bigger problem on his CV or at work when he's older- the odd snigger etc, than in the playground.

However, if there are any other options at all, I'd change James to another similar name. James is a very nice, but common middle name and could be substituted by all sorts of traditional names.

SuperSix77 Mon 10-Apr-17 18:12:12

It's a lovely name. However, I have a friend with a son who is Ben James and SHE CALLS HIM BJ!!!!!! It makes me cringe everytime. Poor kid!! What hope does he have of avoiding it in school if his mum calls him BJ?! 😞

InvisibleKittenAttack Mon 10-Apr-17 18:18:40

yep, teenage boys can be cruel, and he'll get BJ comments/jokes, but frankly, there's always going ot be something. Hopefully he'll learn to style it out so it's more of an 'in joke' than an insult joke. (Hope that makes sense!)

He'll be called Ben, few people will ever know what his middle name is if he doesn't chose to tell them.

WhiteHairReally Mon 10-Apr-17 18:26:51

Teacher of adolescent boys. Have taught two 'Benjamin James''. Yes, they were known as 'Ben' but I'm afraid their charming peers were well aware of the 'BJ' option.

Queensparkles Mon 10-Apr-17 18:48:51

Although it makes me seem very immature we recently found out a colleagues initially were 'BJ' and mixed with his surname (not going to divulge that obv) it made the whole thing pretty hilarious! blush prob best to avoid the initials BJ in my opinion

Queensparkles Mon 10-Apr-17 18:49:08

Initials were *

CPtart Mon 10-Apr-17 19:01:07

Benjamin was on our shortlist both times and James is DS1 middle name. If we'd have gone for Benjamin we'd have put it with Edward as a middle name for that very reason!

Crunchymum Mon 10-Apr-17 19:46:57

My DP is a B.J. Surname.

He vetoed giving our "B" daughter a "J" middle name.

Crunchymum Mon 10-Apr-17 19:48:26

I once had a cat with a B.J name. He was lovingly known as "BJ" and "Beej"

olderthanyouthink Mon 10-Apr-17 21:33:21

My brother is AJ, a kind of cool nickname, no one has ever called him that.

My dad is BJ, as far as I know no one bullied him for that (being a massive nerd yes but not the name). I remember realising his initials were BJ and it cracked me up for a while but I never told him.

I know a Ben Samuel <another middle name> <surname> and I instantly realised that he was BS. He quite liked being called BS <surname>. Maybe not so much BJ.

calimommy Tue 11-Apr-17 04:10:18

DH is James. We used both grandfathers for two previous boys middle names so thought to use DH as this is our last. Alternatively it could be Benjamin Scott but I think James does sound better... I might mull it over. We also have a Lewis Anthony & Alexander Mahon. I'm a mother of sons!

Rockaby Tue 11-Apr-17 08:59:37

Fwiw, I prefer Benjamin Scott actually, even without the whole BJ thing. Benjamin James is a little heavy on the J sounds when I say it, but could just be me. I love James though, so see why it's a dilemma for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now