Talk

Advanced search

I think we found our DS3s name!

(44 Posts)
Jemimapiddleduck Sun 09-Apr-17 05:32:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsEricBana Sun 09-Apr-17 05:37:02

Yes! (Funnily enough I was going to suggest August on the Gus thread - love that too!)

MiniMaxi Sun 09-Apr-17 05:37:02

I like it!

MiniMaxi Sun 09-Apr-17 05:38:18

Sent too soon... I think it's nice you've found a "family heritage" name for his middle name even though both grandfathers are "taken" smile (what does it mean in Maori, out of interest?)

SnookieSnooks Sun 09-Apr-17 05:41:12

Yeah! Go for it!

Jemimapiddleduck Sun 09-Apr-17 06:35:51

Wait means water and Tohi is a ceremony in which warriors are brushed with sacred water before battle

Jemimapiddleduck Sun 09-Apr-17 06:36:09

Wai!

Jooni Sun 09-Apr-17 07:06:22

Absolutely love it

BertrandRussell Sun 09-Apr-17 07:08:44

Are you Maori?

NameyMcNamerson83 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:37:27

Love it, what a lovely sibset!

BertrandRussell Sun 09-Apr-17 07:42:58

If you aren't Maori I don'5 see how you can possibly name your child after a Maori sacred ceremony.

thebakerwithboobs Sun 09-Apr-17 07:48:18

Why on Earth not? They're naming their child after his home? A nod to New Zealand's heritage. OP I think it's a wonderful name smile

magnolia99 Sun 09-Apr-17 08:11:20

BertrandRussell
You clearly don't understand - Waitohi is a region named after cheif's daughter. Not a ceremony. Secondly, that kind of exclusive mentality is exactly what we as a country are trying to move away from. If a pakeha family wants to give their child a Maori middle name after his place of birth, why the heck not? If they named him Kingi Atua or something obviously ridiculous and bordering on offensive then there would be an issue, or if they used a sacred word that wasn't for them to use, but the name is fine. Beautiful name, great nod to his whanau and heritage.

MamaHanji Sun 09-Apr-17 08:11:52

Very strong names.

Love them!

magnolia99 Sun 09-Apr-17 08:16:17

Tohi may be a ceremony but wai means water; it is a proper name though. The two combined aren't a ceremony.

Keepingupwiththejonesys Sun 09-Apr-17 08:56:06

They all sound lovely together

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sun 09-Apr-17 09:09:18

Fabulous OP ! 😄

Jemimapiddleduck Sun 09-Apr-17 09:26:39

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SuperBeagle Sun 09-Apr-17 10:04:36

It's lovely, OP.

My DS2 is Frederick. Fantastic name. smile Very uncommon here in NZ/Aus too!

DaemonPantalaemon Sun 09-Apr-17 11:26:00

Considering that Australia and New Zealand were established by people who came from very far away, and on land that belonged to the Aboriginal and Maori and other indigenous people, implying that OP is stealing a name belonging to the Maori seems a bit, well, too little too late! Where were you when the ships landed, BertrandRussell smile That would have been the time to protest!

Congratulations on your son's lovely name!

Mrsknackered Sun 09-Apr-17 11:53:56

They're brilliant names!

magnolia99 Sun 09-Apr-17 12:05:53

DaemonPantalaemon just a little history of new zealand, technically the Maori people aren't actually the indigenous population like the aboriginals of Australia are. The Maori arrived from 'Hawaiiki' (a pacific name for the motherland/holy land/original place) between 1250 and 1300 CE, before which the country was uninhabited. Mr Russel is trying to push his leftie white guilt on this mother who is very clearly well educated and respectful of Maori culture. I've never met someone of Maori heritage who didn't want to share it with the other races who share New Zealand, and any chief, Whaea, even the Maori King would give her their blessing to use this name.

goodpiemissedthechips Sun 09-Apr-17 12:07:47

Love it, and people who don't understand the Maori-pakeha relationship in NZ should mind their own business IMO wink

Jemimapiddleduck Sun 09-Apr-17 12:18:58

I was a bit aggressive before, I have just felt very annoyed by mainly white people getting pissed off about these issues.
My children go to Kohanga they speak Te Reo Maori, they participate in Kapahaka. And yes they are white.
Why do they do this? Well my cousin is Maori and we lived with her for years - they simply wanted to go to the same preschools as their whanau.
No-one in our community has had a problem with it. It's only when a photo of my eldest at Kapahaka was posted that I got messages accusing me of cultural appropriation. It really hurt. I'm not dressing my children up for Halloween or giving them names to be "edgy" (Frank is about as from the edge as one can imagine ) I'm just trying to do what I can to ensure my children have more than a superficial knowledge of Maori culture so that hopefully their generation will be a more inclusive one. Knowledge is power and what not.

Jemimapiddleduck Sun 09-Apr-17 12:20:10

I should add the person who accused me of cultural appropriation has shown no interest aside from a few likes on Facebook in the local Marae or Iwi

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now