Talk

Advanced search

What names have you been put off?

(180 Posts)
porterwine Fri 07-Apr-17 22:40:14

Are there any names you liked but have been put off by association or an event?

For me (A=and it's a shame because it is of course very popular and well liked) but one is George. My grandpa used to talk about "having a George" meaning a number 2...he said it was a navy thing and they'd talk about "going to the John for a George" and now all that side of my family still use the term! Has anyone else ever heard this? I've never come across elsewhere it so I wonder if it was something that someone my grandpa served with came up with and it caught on.

I also think Fraser is nice but put off by a horrible ex and I think Myra is pretty but can't disconnect it from Hindley.

Lana. I absolutely love the name, but once you realise what it spells backwards that cannot be unseen!

Oysterbabe Fri 07-Apr-17 22:49:26

I haven't heard George used in that way but it's my ex's name and he is a shit.

ChippieFishieHorshie Fri 07-Apr-17 22:49:44

Miranda (because of Myra, actually). I wanted Meera as a nickname, which sounds like Myra in English...

ChippieFishieHorshie Fri 07-Apr-17 22:50:20

Oh, and Castor.

porterwine Fri 07-Apr-17 22:52:45

NiceCuppaTeaAndASitDown funny you say that because it is in my top 4 at the moment for DD but don't feel I can use it for that! Am contemplating Alannah instead with nn Lannah

SuperBeagle Fri 07-Apr-17 22:56:12

Emily.

All of the Emilys I've known have been right cows.

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Fri 07-Apr-17 23:04:54

Grace, because of someone with that name I dealt with at work. I later met her in a different context and she was much nicer, but at the time I was picking baby names she was horrible.

SecretNortherner Fri 07-Apr-17 23:35:50

I wanted to call my ds Toby, my partner said only if we can have the surname of carvary sigh

TalkingofMichaelAngel0 Fri 07-Apr-17 23:37:47

Omg lana ruined for me now.

And to answer the original question, a very, very long list. As im sure most teachers have grin

porterwine Fri 07-Apr-17 23:42:27

I also loved Bryony until a friend said it's a male version of Brian- just Brian with a "ee" sound. Now I can't unhear it!

Redpramlady Fri 07-Apr-17 23:47:26

Pippa... and I still love it! Was going to be Dds name until I googled two weeks before she was born
It's slang in European languages for all sorts!

Maybe I'll have to get a dog and call her pippa ha

Emily7708 Sat 08-Apr-17 00:07:41

*SuperBeagle: Emily.
All of the Emilys I've known have been right cows.*

I think it's delightful 😀

Lemondrop09 Sat 08-Apr-17 14:09:49

Esme

I was on a flight with this woman who my grandmother would have said sounded like a fishwife!

She had a gorgeous little toddler called Esme, but she just shouted at her the entire flight. Ez-maaaaaaaay stop that! Ez-maaaaaaaaay get here! Ez-maaaaaaaaaaaay shut up! It was cringeworthy and made a pretty name seem so ugly to me. Put me right off.

porterwine Sat 08-Apr-17 19:13:46

I also liked Amanda until the episode of Friends when Rachel things the lady called amanda is a transsexual and says "oh I get it! A-man-duuuuuh"...never been able to shake that connection

PutThatPomBearBack Sat 08-Apr-17 19:37:54

I loved the name Daisy until I moved house and how I regularly her my neighbour telling her dog to 'do a daisy' when she wants him to do a poo in the gardenhmm

porterwine Sat 08-Apr-17 19:45:37

hahaha never heard Daisy used like that! Like how my grandpa used to say 'George'

Anditstartsagain Sat 08-Apr-17 19:50:54

I knew a woman with a little girl called Sienna she was a proper helecopter parent and spent the full 2 hour group every week saying Siennnnaaa no, Siennnnaaa put that down, Siennnnaaa come here, Siennnnaaa Siennnnaaa, Siennnnaaa in a really high pitched look at me voice. Everytime i hear it now i hear the womans screechy Siennnnaaaa.

passingthrough1 Sat 08-Apr-17 20:09:08

Arthur because of people saying Arf-er.

deluxetrolley Mon 10-Apr-17 08:46:15

Lola- I love it in an English accent (low-la) but we live in Australia where it's laaaau-la and it totally put me off!
Mira (meer-ra)- still undecided on this one but people seem to say mirror or myra and the latter doesn't have nice connotations!

YoungYolandaYorgensen39 Mon 10-Apr-17 08:49:56

Cameron. I loved the name until David Cameron made it unusable.

Connor. I fell in love with this name twenty years ago but then suddenly there were loads of naughty boys all called Connor so that was the end of that love affair.

FreeNiki Mon 10-Apr-17 13:46:24

Abigail.

Abigail Williams was the whore from the Salem Witch trials.

Abigail is also the whore OW in my last relationship

OhHolyFuck Mon 10-Apr-17 13:48:50

Not that I thought much about girls names (had 2 boys) but recently heard a mother calling her little girl who I presumed was called 'sophia' except her mother just said 'sphere' over and over and over and over again...

Scribblegirl Mon 10-Apr-17 13:50:23

Angus. I worked with one and someone once in an email accidentally missed the G. Same logic as Lana I guess!

Scribblegirl Mon 10-Apr-17 13:51:02

(Thankfully not me but the person who sent the email could never look the guy in the face again!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now