Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dexter?

(38 Posts)
queenT90 Wed 05-Apr-17 19:46:44

We don't know the sex of the baby yet but if little one is a boy I'm really feeling the name Dexter right now I just think it's so cute and not too common where we live but when I've mentioned this to others they are either shocked I would even suggest this name or they think it's hilarious! Surely it's not THAT out there? I know it's up to me at the end of the day but I would still like some opinions please :D

Jooni Wed 05-Apr-17 19:53:53

Great name! It's not too out there at all - fairly popular without being everywhere, and feels like it would suit all ages. It's a very "cool" choice but nothing wrong with that!

Rockaby Wed 05-Apr-17 20:19:48

The reaction you've been getting IRL is just bizarre tbh! It's not my favourite name, but it's definitely not 'out there' or weird in any way.

This is the problem with discussing names with people (other than partners of course) IRL; someone always has something negative to say, because your tastes are never going to be the same as someone else's. Stick to asking on mumsnet is my advice wink.

queenT90 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:42:42

Honestly no exaggeration the reactions have been like 'omg no way are you kidding' lol dunno if people are put off by the whole dexters lab cartoon thing but it doesn't put me off at all smile

Yogagirl123 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:47:52

I love that name and it was a name I considered, but I was put off by friends family I think because of that cartoon. But if you like it go for it. You will never please everyone with whatever name you decide.

Rockaby Wed 05-Apr-17 20:49:49

Good fir you OP! They are being ridiculous imho.

MumUndone Wed 05-Apr-17 21:09:26

Probably because of Dexter, the TV show about the serial killer.

queenT90 Wed 05-Apr-17 21:36:12

Surprisingly not I don't have any close friends or fam that have watched the show Dexter, I've heard it's good though lol

SuperBeagle Wed 05-Apr-17 21:37:58

Makes me think of the serial killer.

I think that's a much stronger association now than the cartoon.

queenT90 Wed 05-Apr-17 21:40:21

Maybe I should watch this show before baby is born haha mind you could be a girl, just two weeks til we find out! Then I won't need to bother smile

LillyBugg Wed 05-Apr-17 21:41:17

I also thought of the serial killer show immediately. Sorry OP.

LookAtTheFlowersKerry Wed 05-Apr-17 21:41:39

It makes me think of Press Gang.

<old gimmer>

queenT90 Wed 05-Apr-17 21:49:05

I had to google press gang lol

Rollonbedtime7pm Wed 05-Apr-17 21:50:43

Love this name! Wanted it for if either DD was a boy but husband vetoed!

It is more common now but certainly not weird!

Lemondrop09 Thu 06-Apr-17 13:18:49

I really like Dexter. It's on my list.

MN always mention the serial killer, but that's an adult thing. His classmates won't know about that, and I assume the parents would have a fleeting association and then forget about it when it's actually attached to a real little boy.

Littledidsheknow Thu 06-Apr-17 13:41:00

I love it! Was on our list for DS 25 years ago, but we chickened out.

Littledidsheknow Thu 06-Apr-17 13:42:52

Just hope your DS +if it us DS) is not left-handed, though!

Queensparkles Thu 06-Apr-17 21:41:55

I have one DS who is left handed already haha! Thanks everyone

Glitterbubble Thu 06-Apr-17 23:25:12

I love the name Dexter but DH made the mistake of mentioning it to MIL who's nose turned up so high, it nearly hit the roof. ...which pissed me off a lot, so thanks to her, ive told DH names will not be discussed with anyone we know until we're announcing the birth!

And don't worry about Dexter the tv show ...I decided I liked the name back when I watched that series 🙈😂

Wolfiefan Thu 06-Apr-17 23:26:29

Serial killer.
Wouldn't use it.

Queensparkles Fri 07-Apr-17 00:09:57

We do all realise the serial killer is a fictional character anyway? Lol

Glitterbubble - I know exactly how you feel my MIL would be the same, my own parents are just as bad they hated Dexter as soon as I mentioned it, so going forward I just won't be discussing baby names with them they will all need to wait til baby is born!

SuperBeagle Fri 07-Apr-17 00:50:45

We do all realise the serial killer is a fictional character anyway? Lol

Of course, but that doesn't mean it's not still an association people have. Bianca gets shouted down on here because of Coronation St. A fictional character. But an association nonetheless.

Queensparkles Fri 07-Apr-17 00:54:43

I totally get what you're saying, but you don't see many Jacks being associated with Jack the Ripper or Johns being associated with Bible John, I think it's probably because Dexter is a less common name lol I really need to watch this show!

SuperBeagle Fri 07-Apr-17 01:06:42

Queen It's definitely because of the popularity or lack of of the name. Lots of people still name their children Fred and Rose, despite Fred and Rose West; a lot of people still named their children Ian (before it became "outdated") despite Ian Brady. But most would avoid Myra because of Hindley, not because she's exceptionally worse than the others, but because Myra is a more uncommon name so the association is a lot stronger.

Queensparkles Fri 07-Apr-17 09:44:29

Oaft Myra's a no go 100% :/ I totally agree! What I mean is if Dexter was a real life serial killer I'd prob be put off but because it's fictional it doesn't bother me if you get me? I understand the association is still there for some ppl but it wouldn't annoy me as he's not real! We really like it at the moment but you know what it's like some other name might pop into my head or I might just wake up one morning hating Dexter haha the joys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now