Talk

Advanced search

All our girl names similar to existing family members

(15 Posts)
BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 04-Apr-17 10:15:47

DS is called Jos. My sister is called Jess. I didn't make this connection until she pointed it out when DS was a few weeks old. It doesn't bother me, I love his name, he's a total Jos, but now we're expecting DC2 and all our girl name choices are similar to relatives, and I'm worried it's just going to make us look very unimaginative and ridiculous?

Adelaide (would most likely get Addy?) - DNiece is called Abby. Adelaide has been our girl name since before DS and DN were conceived. Also like the nn Heidi.

Avery - my Nanna's name and I think she might think naming after a relative is a bit naff? I'll have to ask her, but then it would be awkward if we changed our minds grin

Anna - I have a cousin called Hannah

Zara - my mum is called Sarah

Do you think any of that matters, are we overthinking things? FWIW none of those people have the same surname as us except for Abby.

To make matters more complex, DNiece is due a brother or sister 7 days before my DC2 is due (but I'm having a section). Luckily I don't think BIL & SIL have similar taste to us. DS and DN were due 2 days apart!

(I realise this is very outing but can't think why that might be a problem for me. <Waves> if you know me! grin)

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 04-Apr-17 10:50:53

I don't think it matters at all.
I love your name choices. Surely it could only be seen as a compliment, to have a relative name their baby after you, or with a similar name.
As you say, you also have a different surname.
Use your favourite name Bendy, I certainly would. 😄

Crunchymum Tue 04-Apr-17 13:43:35

How do you get to Heidi from Adelaide?

Jooni Tue 04-Apr-17 15:22:55

I think you're overthinking, but why not just go with Heidi then it's not too close to anything? Plus it's a really lovely name smile

ClaryBeanHorshAndMe Tue 04-Apr-17 16:01:55

I like Adelaide.
Adelheid, nn Heidi would be an option, I guess?

I don't think Adelaide is too similar to Abby (even if the nn ends up being Addy).

It's a gorgeous name and it sounds like it's your favourite... smile

DuggeeHugs Tue 04-Apr-17 16:44:35

Could Adelaide NN to Della or Delly?

Go with the name you love - even if you know 10 people with the same name or similar!

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 04-Apr-17 16:52:18

Crunchymum because Heidi is a diminutive of Adelheid, which is where Adelaide comes from.

Thanks everyone, maybe it's not such a big deal! It might sound funny '
Jos and Anna/Jess and Hannah... my poor grandma would get so mixed up haha! But if you're all saying it's not a big deal I can easily accept that and pick from all the names we love smile

...Adelaide... <swoon> smile

ClaryBeanHorshAndMe Tue 04-Apr-17 17:10:17

Adelaide. Gorgeous name. Pick that one... (sorry, I'm way too invisted in this. But the name is seriously goregous... And I'm somewhat bored.)

Plus, Adelaide has soo many nns (that aren't Addie).
Dela, Ada, Dellie, Ellie, Ella, Laida, Dell/Delle, Adele, Dale; Leia/Laia, Leda, Aidy, Ada, Lea, Ally, Lee ... Idk.

Oysterbabe Tue 04-Apr-17 17:40:04

Just go with Heidi, it's a lovely stand alone name, no nickname required.
I'm biased, I have a Heidi smile

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 04-Apr-17 17:58:41

Haha Oyster, great taste! I must say I much prefer Adelaide for my DD, obviously still love Heidi though. Sorry!

Clary yes I often thought Ada would be good too, so much scope as you've demonstrated! I've talked DH round to Adelaide over the years too ;) AND he came up with Jos too, so my turn this time ;)

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 04-Apr-17 19:27:44

Totally agree with ClaryBean, Adelaide is gorgeous, definitely go with it !
Your turn to call the shots OP ... 😄

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 04-Apr-17 19:39:25

Yay! How I love Mumsnet grin

Sophronia Wed 05-Apr-17 11:58:56

Love Adelaide

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 05-Apr-17 16:46:23

I vote for Heidi. I might not worry about the Abby/Addy situation if the girls didn't share the surname.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 05-Apr-17 16:47:56

Ignore me, you have already decided! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now