Talk

Advanced search

Struggling to agree on a girl's name

(44 Posts)
FamilySpartan Mon 03-Apr-17 13:43:46

DH and I can only agree on two names - Alexa and Charlotte. We won't be using either as Amazon Echo have ruined Alexa for us and we feel Charlotte is too ubiquitous.

May I have your opinions on these names, please?

Jemima*
Alexia
Abigail
Annabel
Francesca*
Daphne*
Susanna

Of all of these, the only one we can sort of agree on is Susanna, and I like it but don't love it. We'd both like a classic name, but DH really seems to like Elizabeth, Catherine, etc and we have too many friends with these names and it feels a bit weird.

Also, we love Sophie and Imogen but have friends with children who have these names.

* indicates I love the name but DH hates it.

ClaryBeanHorshAndMe Mon 03-Apr-17 13:53:12

Jemima: I don't like it
Alexia: It's ok
Abigail: Sorry, I really really dislike it
Annabel: It's nice. But I know many middle-aged Annabels, tbh.
Francesca: Love it.
Daphne: Really really love it.
Susanna: I prefer it with an h, but it's one of my all-time favourite names.

Francesca, Daphne and Susanna(h) are my favourites of your list smile

Do you like names like Carlotta, Clarissa, Serena, Josephine or Antonia?

Montsti Mon 03-Apr-17 13:55:11

I have a Charlotte so am biased but think it's the nicest of your choices. Yes there will be some around but it's a classic and not "of the moment"...I know many more Kates/Katies so would think Catherine (even though the full name isn't too widespread) perhaps would feel at least more popular..

I also like Annabel (biased again😜)...

What about Alexis? Beatrice?

Montsti Mon 03-Apr-17 13:56:04

Victoria? Alexandra?

FamilySpartan Mon 03-Apr-17 13:58:17

Clary - I feel like we are almost the same person! The ones you like/dislike are almost exactly the same as mine! grin

FamilySpartan Mon 03-Apr-17 14:00:22

Montsti - DH really likes Alexandra but I'm not sold on it. It's not a massive step from Alexia to Alexandra so I don't know why I'm not liking it so much.

GruffaloPants Mon 03-Apr-17 14:06:23

Jemima - a bit wet
Alexia - this is also a term for a reading disorder, this is what I think of. Problematic if she wants to be, or work with, a neurologist or a speech therapist.
Abigail - OK
Annabel - hate this, but it seems popular.
Francesca - like this most from your choices. Works well across ages, recognisable but not overused. Nice nicknames.
Daphne - think this will date again quickly. Also makes me think of Daphne Broon, but if you aren't Scottish it won't be a problem!
Susanna - a bit frilly. Prefer the underused Susan.

How about Verity, Edith, Jane, Mary or Ingrid as similar types of name.

GruffaloPants Mon 03-Apr-17 14:07:48

Or Lydia?

BasicBetty Mon 03-Apr-17 14:14:04

My favourite is Francesca, but really like Alexa too. Don't let Amazon put you off!

FamilySpartan Mon 03-Apr-17 14:45:19

Thanks all for the suggestions. Some are names we hadn't considered, some we have already discussed. A couple are too close to my name and a few have an odd alliteration with our surname but you have definitely given us more to talk about! Thanks smile

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 03-Apr-17 15:52:11

I like ;
Charlotte
Jemima
Abigail
Susannah.

hayli Mon 03-Apr-17 15:58:13

aw don't let Amazon ruin the name Alexa for you. it's a lovely name and sure the echo hype will be over soon anyway...

CakeRattleandRoll Mon 03-Apr-17 15:59:34

I really like Abigail and Francesca.
How about Genevieve, Miranda or Cassandra?

Gaaaah Mon 03-Apr-17 16:00:48

What about Allegra as an alternative to Alexa?

Moonshine86 Mon 03-Apr-17 16:03:01

What about Savannah?

Just named my little girl pearl!

MelinaMercury Mon 03-Apr-17 16:03:33

Dislike Jemima, Annabel, Daphne and Susanna.

Like Alexia, Abigail and love Francesca as it was on my list last time smile

How about Alexis, Allana, Carla, Melody, Danielle/a, Eliza, Elise, Georgia, Hannah, Elena, Jessica, Olivia, Zoe.

FamilySpartan Mon 03-Apr-17 16:25:26

Gaaah, I flippin' love the name Allegra, esp since I'm half Italian but DH likes it even less than Jemima hmm I'm determined to use Allegra when we get a pet grin

FamilySpartan Mon 03-Apr-17 16:27:36

Moonshine86, congratulations! Pearl is a gorgeous name, and it was on my original shortlist. It doesn't work with our surname though, which is an unusual occupation-type name.

Diamondsandpurls Mon 03-Apr-17 16:29:49

If you're half Italian how about Lucia or Gabriella? Both beautiful names imo.

BertrandRussell Mon 03-Apr-17 16:32:07

There aren't that many Charlottes about are there?

BertrandRussell Mon 03-Apr-17 16:34:02

Less than 2000 out of 300,000 girl babies last year and declining.

Go for Charlotte!

FamilySpartan Mon 03-Apr-17 16:37:59

Diamonds, both lovely. Lucia was my grandmother's name. I like Francesca more as it's the feminine form of my grandfather's name and I love the idea of Frankie, which works brilliantly with our surname too.

Secretly hoping that once DH witnesses the birth, he'll be so traumatised that he will let me name her whatever l like!

Diamondsandpurls Mon 03-Apr-17 16:39:30

Big tip: whatever name you like,just keep mentioning it and subconsciously he will grow to like it. wink

FamilySpartan Mon 03-Apr-17 16:44:23

Bertrand- what's your source? I'd like to investigate this further. grin

Diamonds- one step ahead of you wink

Rockaby Mon 03-Apr-17 16:46:37

I agree with Bertrand. I don't think Charlotte is that popular at all. I haven't heard of a baby Charlotte for years (except the royal).

Was also going to suggest Beatrice but it's already been suggested!

Maybe Harriet, Xanthe or Saskia?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now