Talk

Advanced search

Middle name struggles

(21 Posts)
Jugoo28 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:50:42

So we are pretty set on Clementine and I've posted about picking it as a name before...but now I am getting very indecisive about middle names! I'd like to use Alice which is my sisters name but my partner is a firm believer in babies having their own names as he comes from a large family where the same names are often repeated! Together we both like Lily and Margot for a middle name but I feel I may still be able to get Alice in there too as long as there is another middle name so what sounds better...

Clementine Lily
Clementine Margot
Clementine Lily Alice
Clementine Margot Alice

If the baby comes out and doesn't look like a Clementine, our other first name options are Madeleine or Francesca.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 01-Apr-17 21:09:20

Clementine, stick with it, it's so lovely ! 😄
Clementine Lily Alice.
I personally don't think Margot, although a nice name, goes with Clementine. Alice is great, and a lovely gesture, to your DS.

Yika Sat 01-Apr-17 21:12:44

Clementine Lily Alice.

My DD has Alice as one of her 2 middle names. Very nice choice smile

NameChange30 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:14:57

I can see your partner's point when it comes to first names, but I disagree about middle names. I wouldn't use a family name for a first name but I think it's lovely to use them for middle names. Middle names aren't used much anyway so it's more of a symbolic thing.

What surname will the baby have - yours, your partner's, or both? I hope the baby will have your surname in there somewhere, but if not, there's a strong argument for using a middle name from your side of the family.

Jooni Sat 01-Apr-17 22:20:33

I actually think Clementine Alice sounds nicest, and the family connection to your sister feels like a nice touch to me. I like Margot too though if DH won't have it.

Sunshineandlaughter Sat 01-Apr-17 23:31:09

Just use Alice - repeated names don't matter in middle names and is nice nod to family

DramaAlpaca Sat 01-Apr-17 23:40:06

Clementine Lily Alice

buttercup54321 Sat 01-Apr-17 23:50:24

Alice is best. Elizabeth would be nice but it would be a long name to learn to spell.

SuperBeagle Sun 02-Apr-17 00:05:20

I have to agree with your partner about family names. Both my first and middle name are family names and I hate it. There's no guarantee that your child and the family member they're named after will be close. I share a first and surname with my aunt and there's no one I despise more than her. It's shit.

I like Clementine Lily best of your list, although I do like Madeleine more.

Jugoo28 Sun 02-Apr-17 02:49:29

I really like Madeleine too @superbeagle but my goodness deciding is hard! If she pops out looking more like a Madeleine then a Clementine though...

Yes, she's getting a double barrelled surname but at least they're both one syllable short names so it's not too much for the wee poppet (my nephew's is a different story, such a mouthful!). Even if we were married, I wouldn't change my name due to work reputation and as we're in NZ, there's no extra protection by being married, defacto and married couples are treated exactly the same under the law here.

NameChange30 Sun 02-Apr-17 05:45:54

Super
Would it bother you less if you just shared a middle name with your aunt and not a first name too?

Oysterbabe Sun 02-Apr-17 09:48:31

I agree that Clementine Alice sounds nicest. The rest are a bit of a mouthful.

ClaryBeanHorshAndMe Sun 02-Apr-17 12:23:04

I love Clementine!

I'd like to use Alice which is my sisters name but my partner is a firm believer in babies having their own names as he comes from a large family where the same names are often repeated!

My first name is a family name (of a long dead ancestor). And whilst I genuinely love my name (maybe a weird thing to say) I have struggled with it a biton occasion, tbh.

And I don't think using the names og somebody that's still alive is good, sorry.

Anyhow:

I love Clementine Lily.

Francesca is a really lovely name.

I dislike Madeline. It's a name I personally associate with several public and private tragedies.

NameChange30 Sun 02-Apr-17 13:08:23

Again, Clary would you feel differently if you had the family name as a middle name and not a first name?

ClaryBeanHorshAndMe Sun 02-Apr-17 13:18:48

name
I don't think so, no.

flummoxedworried Sun 02-Apr-17 13:22:01

If the baby comes out and doesn't look like a Clementine

You mean, if the baby is not round with puckered right orange skin wink

Seriously though, I love Clementine as a name. So pretty. I also like Alice. You could spell it Alyss if you wanted to introduce a little difference to keep your DP happy.

BriocheBriocheBrioche Sun 02-Apr-17 13:35:02

I like Clementine Alice too.
My dd1 is Margot and dd2 Clementine. You have great taste in names! grin

crapfatbanana Sun 02-Apr-17 16:32:25

Don't stress about the middle name, it's hardly worth it. For what it's worth, all the options are nice.

CPtart Sun 02-Apr-17 17:39:02

I only like Francesca off your list.
Francesca Alice.

Lenilarch11 Tue 04-Apr-17 14:20:44

Clementine Margot or Clementine Margot Alice.

BasicBetty Thu 06-Apr-17 10:57:25

Clementine Lily Alice. Very pretty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now