Talk

Advanced search

Boys name Cassius

(21 Posts)
user1490955528 Fri 31-Mar-17 13:56:19

Hello,

we are both really like the name Cassius for a boy but wondering if it is a bit chavvy??

Thoughts and opinions on the name Cassius be much appreciated?

Thanks x

ScarlettFreestone Fri 31-Mar-17 15:24:33

I don't like the term "Chavy" but no I wouldn't think if it that way.

The name Cassius does always make me think "Brutus and ... " though. (sorry)

WaitrosePigeon Fri 31-Mar-17 15:25:07

I really like it!

Blumkin Fri 31-Mar-17 15:26:28

I'd say it's more posh than chavvy. Always makes me think of that shakespeare quote 'yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look, he thinks too much. Such men are dangerous'

goodpiemissedthechips Fri 31-Mar-17 15:27:46

Makes me think of Cassius Clay.

Brokenbutbreathing Fri 31-Mar-17 15:29:32

It's fabulous, and the last thing it is is chavvy.

smilingsarahb Fri 31-Mar-17 15:30:24

Love it

blue2014 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:43:26

Really love it

Iris65 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:45:24

It depends on the age group - my mind links it to Cassius Clay, a boxer, who became Muhammed Ali 😀

ClaryBeanHorshAndMe Fri 31-Mar-17 15:54:39

It does seem rather 'trendy' but not particularly "chavvy", no.

Joinourclub Fri 31-Mar-17 15:58:43

Love it. I love cash for short.

florascotianew Fri 31-Mar-17 16:32:14

This name was mentioned on a different thread a short while ago.

Points that came up there:

Cassius (of Roman history/Shakespeare) was one of the great betrayers of all time. A famous general, however, and a wily politician. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_Cassius_Longinus

Boxer Muhammad Ali rejected the name Cassius Clay. It is said that he called it 'a slave name'. www.independent.co.uk/news/people/muhammad-ali-death-cassius-clay-why-did-he-change-his-name-nation-of-islam-a7065256.html In the past, in the southern states of the USA, slave owners ironically - and cruelly - often gave Black slaves grand-sounding names from Greek and Roman history: an earlier Cassius Clay was a famous anti-slavery campaigner en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassius_Marcellus_Clay_(politician)

For many people, presumably including Muhammad Ali, Greek and Roman names, such as Cassius, remained a symbol of an oppressed past long after slavery was abolished. For others, they became rathr more aspirational - a link to the culture of ancient Greece and Rome.

I don't think Cassius is particularly classy or otherwise. Instead, I think of it as a name with a LOT of associations.

ohdoadoodoo Fri 31-Mar-17 16:33:06

I don't like it at all, sorry.

Mrsknackered Fri 31-Mar-17 17:20:31

I want it for DS2 but my partner said it was better suited for a dog.
I personally love it but after the recent (ish) death of Muhammad Ali I would avoid it for a bit.
Bit like all the kids being called bloody Bowie now.

OneSecondAfter Fri 31-Mar-17 17:31:58

FWIW, lots of African Americans (particularly members of the Nation of Islam) renounced their "slave names", which includes basically every English name you can think of used in the last 200-300 years. It just so happens that this one was famous and spoke about it publicly, in addition to his name being less common. Doesn't mean Cassius in particular is a "slave name" any more than Robert or John was to those African Americans previously known as Robert or John.

TheBookIsOnTheTable Fri 31-Mar-17 17:36:48

Great name! It is DS1's middle name. Has to be pronounced Cass-ee-us in my opinion rather than Cash-us which is horrible.

harderandharder2breathe Fri 31-Mar-17 20:32:41

I know one, not chavvy!

I'm not a big fan of it in general though

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 31-Mar-17 20:46:32

Not keen, but not chavvy either.
Caspar.

BounceBounceSplishSplash Sat 01-Apr-17 22:24:40

I don't think it's chavvy. If I was forced to make a judgement I'd think the parents were wannabe hipsters rather than chavs. I quite like it but wouldn't use it myself.

EllaHen Sat 01-Apr-17 22:27:48

My dh wanted it for dc2. I wasn't brave enough.

It's certainly not chavvy.

Sunshineandlaughter Sat 01-Apr-17 23:25:02

Love it. Not chavvy. I'd use cass for nn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now