Talk

Advanced search

Do these work in the UK? Are they ok? Top 4

(108 Posts)
ClaryBeanHorshAndMe Tue 28-Mar-17 13:00:47

Louisa (it's my least favourite. But I think it would work pretty much everywhere?)
Isadora (2nd favourite)
Virginia (absolute favourite. But it it too virginal?)
Isolda

Arik
Emmett
Yaron
Yonatan (that's not a creative spelling, btw)

ClaryBeanHorshAndMe Tue 28-Mar-17 13:31:55

DD1 is Clarissa, btw. Not sure if it matters... Yup. thank you for anybody taking the time to read this/respond. smile

EverythingEverywhere1234 Tue 28-Mar-17 13:48:25

I like Isadora best... Virginia is a fairly unusual name now and yes, sounds like virgin, which shouldn't matter but kids will be kids etc.
I like Emmett best for the boy options, followed by Arik smile

Lemondrop09 Tue 28-Mar-17 13:53:44

Isadora is beautiful. I went to school with a Virginia and she got a lot of mocking from the boys "Vagina" - but then kids can twist most names if they want to.

I like Arik and Emmett. Yaron is nice enough to. Yonatan seems like a bit of a mouthful and doesn't feel like it flows/rolls off the tongue will.

Practicalpam Tue 28-Mar-17 14:18:44

I would not go with Virginia or I sold a in the UK. I like the other 2 girls names but sorry all the boys names look made up to me. I have never heard of any of them.

ClaryBeanHorshAndMe Tue 28-Mar-17 14:33:04

sorry all the boys names look made up to me

No need to be sorry smile I mean, they're not made up, but there are probably many names I've never heard of either.

but then kids can twist most names if they want to.

True. Virginia is very Virginia Woolf imo. (and it also reminds me of Pepper Potts in Iron man...)

Thank you for taking the time to comment smile

PonderLand Tue 28-Mar-17 14:36:46

I like Virginia and emmett! I'd probably end up shortening Virginia to Gina though

Pencilvester Tue 28-Mar-17 14:41:51

Your girls' list is great and I think they would all work in the UK. I especially love Virginia, shortened to Ginny.

From your boys' list, I think Emmett would be the most recognisable here.

Arik is lovely and I might nick it for my boys' list! Where's it from?

ClaryBeanHorshAndMe Tue 28-Mar-17 15:37:00

ponder I lile Gina smile and Vivi, Gigi and Ginny as well.

pencil yes, Emmett is the most anglophone, I think.
Awww, thanks. Arik is used in Israel and according to wikipedia also in Russia. And it's also the short form of Alberich....
I think it works in many cultures and languages, which I really like...

DizzyDigestive Tue 28-Mar-17 15:49:01

I like Louisa and Emmett, think they would both work well in the UK grin

Elbi Tue 28-Mar-17 17:23:58

I like them all! Some Brits might pause over the pronunciation of Yaron and Yonatan but would soon get the hang of it.

HeteronormativeHaybales Tue 28-Mar-17 18:06:03

I love all your girls' names except Virginia - Isadora and Louisa are my favourites, and Louisa is very underused atm IMO - and like all your boys' names except Arik (although it's not bad as such, and would definitely travel well).

ErrolTheDragon Tue 28-Mar-17 18:22:48

Don't use Emmett if you're anywhere near Cornwall or anywhere else IMO, I mean you wouldn't call a kid Grockel

'Emmet (alt spellings emmit or emit) is a pejorative nickname that some Cornish people use to refer to the non-Cornish. It originally referred to tourists who visit Cornwall but has also been used by native Cornish Folk to refer to "incomers" or residents who have moved to the county but were not born there.' (it also means 'ant').

The other boys' names are unusual but not difficult to spell or pronounce. I rather like Yonatan (is that a variation of Jonathan?).

The girls's names are all perfectly normal and pretty. I think Isolde is the more common spelling here but IMO looks nicer with the A and more logical.

Epipgab Tue 28-Mar-17 21:16:57

I like Louisa, Isolde (with an e) and quite like Isadora too.

How about Vanessa, Victoria or Vivienne, instead of Virginia?

I'd use Georgina for nickname Gina.

SuperBeagle Tue 28-Mar-17 21:26:56

Virginia is awful. It reminds me more of vagina than or virgin.

Isadora is quite nice. I like Dora as a shortening.

The other two are fine.

SuperBeagle Tue 28-Mar-17 21:27:49

And I like Emmett most of the boys names. The only one I think wouldn't work well in the UK is Yonatan.

Kazzawazza69 Tue 28-Mar-17 21:28:15

I love Isadora. Not so keen on the boys names but Emmett is my favourite out of the boys options.

BumbumMcTumtum Tue 28-Mar-17 21:30:45

The only name I don't like is Isadora but that's because it conjures up pensioners that go by Isa and also some god awful CITV programme called Wizadora (we adore her!) grin

DramaAlpaca Tue 28-Mar-17 21:34:22

I like Arik and Emmett from your boys list.

I love Louisa, and Isolda/Isolde and Isadora are fine. I especially like Isadora with Clarissa.

I don't like Virginia.

PlymouthMaid1 Tue 28-Mar-17 21:36:13

Emmet is not good for reasons above. Isadora but keep away from long scarves. Not Virginia as such but could you use Ginny for everyday as Harry potter has made that familiar. Love Isolda.

EssentialHummus Tue 28-Mar-17 21:37:05

No comment about your girls' names. Of the boys' names, Emmett is best imo. As a England-based Hebrew speaker, I'd spell Yonatan "Jonathan" here.

TwentyCups Tue 28-Mar-17 21:39:50

I love Emmett and Isadora. Actually I like all your boys names.

ThoraGruntwhistle Tue 28-Mar-17 21:40:45

I like Louisa, Virginia and Arik smile

Starlight2345 Tue 28-Mar-17 21:41:57

Isadora is my favourite,

Emmett does remind me of the Lego Movie but I still like it.

ClaryBeanHorshAndMe Tue 28-Mar-17 21:47:53

is a pejorative nickname that some Cornish people use to refer to the non-Cornish.
Hm... I'm not trying to be rude... But, are there many people that know this?

essential I know what you meam, but the pronunciation is so different here. Plus, there's a th... And then I thought that Jonatan may genuinely look as if we simply forgot the h.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now