Talk

Advanced search

Mars/Marz as a nickname?

(9 Posts)
maya7161 Sat 25-Mar-17 12:04:59

Hey everyone,

I was just hoping to get some thoughts on the name Mars/Marz as a first name/nickname. I posted this question earlier but missed out the fact it's supposed to be a nickname! I don't know how to edit my previous question - so sorry!

It's for someone (adult) who has already been named 'Marouf' (different culture) but doesn't like his name much. He was asking me what I think of Mars as a nickname as he doesn't want a nickname that just seems overly unrelated to his actual name. He says he's thinking of going by this name amongst friends and at work etc. but he's unsure and so am I.

Would really appreciate the insight smile

1horatio Sat 25-Mar-17 13:53:01

Uhm, why not? It's a nickname.. Nicknames can be pretty much everything.

Does he like the chocolate bar? (a mars for a guy called Mars...)

Marouf... Well, Roof? Maro? Idk. Mars is fine imo smile

WyfOfBathe Sat 25-Mar-17 13:56:16

It sounds fine. It seems to follow the same lines as Karen = Kaz, Garry = Gaz

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 25-Mar-17 17:36:36

He could go for Maz.

1horatio Sat 25-Mar-17 21:36:57

Max?

HoratioNightboy Sat 25-Mar-17 21:50:40

I think it's fine, especially as I've come across many Marses through my research (plus feminine forms!).

It might be hard for those who already know him as Marouf, but I'm sure no-one new would queston it. I used to have a penpal from Zaire called Zeus and thought nothing of it, however when he told me his actual name, from the Lingala language, I realised he had chosen it himself! It wasn't a problem though - he was always just Zeus to me.

NeonGod73 Sat 25-Mar-17 21:59:10

I give almost everybody a nickname (sometimes just secretly behind their back) but Marouf is kinda hopeless. How do you nickname it?Maybe you can call him Momo? Rouferz? Marmite? Marge...

Wenchelda Mon 27-Mar-17 21:03:43

What about Rou (pronounced Roo) as a nickname?

NurseryNightmares Thu 30-Mar-17 08:55:45

I second Maz or Rou

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now