Talk

Advanced search

Changing baby name of 6 week old

(16 Posts)
user1486768000 Thu 23-Mar-17 19:41:20

Hi,
Apologies for the very long post but just wanted somewhere to share my naming issue and gather some opinions.

So we named our son the day I give birth as we wanted to leave hospital with a name in place and we registered the birth about a week later. We chose a very unusual classic name which I did and still do really like. However, we started referring to him as a nickname derivative of said name from the start, again a name which sounded nice in my head. However since then the baby has become known as the nickname only by family and friends and im finding im cringing when some people pronounce it. Thinking about it, although the full name was on our list for a while, i feel i didn't think the nickname through enough whilst i was pregnant - i barely said it out loud and didn't consider what it would sound like with various accents for example.

On reflection, in the beginning I don't really feel like I was in a position in my post-labour state to make such a firm decision and I'm really wishing we had waited a few weeks and tried out a few names out on him first before choosing.

There is another name I didn't fully consider when I was pregnant but now think really suits him and feels much more 'right' when i call him it. The problem being my partner says he's got used to calling him by the nickname version of the name we chose in the beginning and I'm worried about the reaction from family/friends etc.. (many who have posted pictures of him and his name all over social media).

Part of me just wants to get over it to avoid hassle and confusion but everytime I go out or talk to someone about my son I end up feeling a little sick when they say his name (some people have a more irritating pronounciation of it than others I admit).

I realise im over-thinking this and if its really bothering me that much then I should seriously talk to my partner about changing it, but then I don't want to change it to a name he doesn't 100% agree on - it's already started to cause arguments everytime I mention it. So confused with what to do!

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 23-Mar-17 20:32:50

If you don't like the name, then change it. However, if it's just the way that others pronounce the name, I'd keep it. After all, he's your Son, how you say it, is all that matters,
If you do change it, don't concern yourself, about what others may think, it's irrelevant.
Please don't take this the wrong way, you have just given birth, do you think there's a slight chance, that you may be over thinking this ?
Congratulations OP 💐💐💐

reuset Thu 23-Mar-17 20:57:20

Have a serious talk with your partner, see what you can both agree on and be happy with. You're stuck with it a long time otherwise.

Have you registered the birth yet, not that it's a problem if you already have.

anametouse Thu 23-Mar-17 21:13:46

I was in exactly the same situation. We kept the name, by 6 weeks it was his name and I'm glad - do you feel his name suits him? Talk to your partner about it seriously.

Msqueen33 Thu 23-Mar-17 21:17:43

Is it the nickname you're not fond of? If you really don't like it change it. My husband has a regional accent and cannot pronounce the TH sound so bath sounds like barf. It drives me mad so I knew we could never name our children with that sound at the end. All that matters is you're happy with it not what other people think.

user1486768000 Wed 05-Apr-17 19:57:54

Thank you for all the replies.
In case you were wondering, we did change the name in the end, its been unofficially changed for a couple of weeks and official for a few days. I'm so glad we did, so much happier now, don't think I realised how much it was getting me down.

Msqueen33 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:17:59

That's fab. Well done.

reuset Wed 05-Apr-17 20:22:22

Glad to hear that, OP!

AntiHop Wed 05-Apr-17 20:24:06

Sounds like a good decision. Well done.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 05-Apr-17 22:05:14

You did the right thing 😄

Moo31 Sun 09-Apr-17 09:05:28

Op you sound much happier - well done for having the strength to change it. Just out of curiosity I'd love to know what the names are if you are willing to share??

Oysterbabe Sun 09-Apr-17 09:17:49

Can you tell us what the name was now?

user1486768000 Sun 09-Apr-17 14:30:51

The original name was Rudyard, nickname Rudy. I really liked Rudyard before, however it was Rudy which turned to cringe after he was born. I've always loved nature names, especially River. One of the other names on our list was Roscoe, this was the name I came to really love after he was born. He is now Roscoe River. Quite a variety of naming styles there I admit!

reuset Sun 09-Apr-17 14:59:11

Ah I see it more now. The pronunciation I prefer of Rudyard is quite subtle, so I can see why it might irritate. Fine name but I can see why it, and the nick name, bothered you.

Glad you both settled on an alternative. I'm guessing he'll be known as Ross, very Poldark grin

MarcelineQueen Sun 09-Apr-17 15:53:28

I live in an area with a strong regional accent, and there are a fair few Rudy's around. It doesn't sound pleasant on the ear.

Roscoe River is fabulous flowers

Moo31 Sun 09-Apr-17 21:09:36

Roscoe is a lovely name smile thank you for sharing and congratulations on your little one xo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now