Talk

Advanced search

Have I accidentally started a theme?

(32 Posts)
user1487804542 Tue 21-Mar-17 19:57:44

I have two DDs, Miranda and Imogen and we have just found out we are expecting DD3. By accident, my girls' names are both from Shakespeare plays. Our favourite name this time is Cecilia, but I worry that her name doesn't 'match' her sisters (especially because there's a Shakespearean Celia, but I don't love it!).

Will DD3 feel left out of the Shakespearean theme or am I overthinking this?

BikeRunSki Tue 21-Mar-17 19:58:31

You're over thInking

MrsHathaway Tue 21-Mar-17 19:59:49

Overthinking.

A friend with an Imogen and a Miranda named her DD3 Lydia. I think they and Cecilia have a very similar feel.

TisapityshesaGeordie Tue 21-Mar-17 19:59:53

My degree is in theatre, and I wouldn't automatically make that connection anyway. It's not like you've gone for Juliet and Ophelia.

MadamePomfrey Tue 21-Mar-17 20:00:23

I'm not a Shakespeare buff so I may not help but I wouldn't even click that your DDS had Shakespeare names so I would just go with what you like and not worry about it

ExcellentWorkThereMary Tue 21-Mar-17 20:01:09

Overthinking.

MrsHathaway Tue 21-Mar-17 20:01:45

If you were naming a DC6 and the other five had very Shakespearean names (Hermia, Valentine, Ferdinand, Hamlet, Ophelia) then she might feel left out. But not as the third when the name you like is stylistically similar.

cementedminds Tue 21-Mar-17 20:05:10

Overthinking! I like a bit of Shakespeare but it wouldn't have been the first thing that sprang to mind. However if you did want to stick with the theme how about Cecily (from Richard III)?

user1487804542 Tue 21-Mar-17 20:11:20

That's what I was hoping to hear smile Thank you!

lazycrazyhazy Tue 21-Mar-17 20:21:45

I'm into my Shakespeare too but wouldn't have thought of it. If you wanted a C name though from Shakespeare I know a lovely Cressida and also a Cordelia... Cecilia is love though!

Neverknowing Tue 21-Mar-17 20:23:04

You're over thinking! My neice is Cecilia I love the name so much. Be prepared to have everyone sing Cecilia to you though.

SuperBeagle Tue 21-Mar-17 20:47:22

It's not an obvious theme.

As a PP said, it's not as though it's Juliet and Ophelia.

Go with the name you love. If you'd intentionally chosen Shakespearean names for the first two, but not for the third, then I could see her being "left out" but since there was no intention there, it's fine. smile

harderandharder2breathe Tue 21-Mar-17 22:57:11

Overthinking! It's not obvious to most people that there is a theme and it's accidental anyway so if on the off chance she grows up to be a Shakespeare buff and queries it you can pretend not to have known grin

Sophronia Tue 21-Mar-17 23:51:09

Overthinking. Cecilia is a lovely name.

LittleIda Wed 22-Mar-17 00:43:11

I think it's fine. It's not obviously breaking away from a theme like Faith, Hope and Kevin

highinthesky Wed 22-Mar-17 01:07:27

Have you considered Portia?

PetalMettle Wed 22-Mar-17 06:22:24

I can't even think which play Imogen is from and I've read them all many many years ago so I don't think it's over obvious and agree that cecilia goes nicely

Scribblegirl Wed 22-Mar-17 06:24:31

Faith, Hope and Kevin

grin

RJnomore1 Wed 22-Mar-17 06:30:08

I want to have three more kids now so I can call them faith hope and Kevin!

AutumnalLeaves38 Thu 23-Mar-17 11:50:03

"Faith, Hope and Kevin" grin grin

Any Indie bands out there looking for the perfect name?!

You win Mumsnet quote of the day, Littlelda.

OP,

Cecilia is beautiful. And, IMO, blends very well with your elder DDs' names.

LittleIda Thu 23-Mar-17 12:55:59

I should say I didn't make up Faith Hope and Kevin. Someone is supposed to have called their children that, although it could be an urban myth! smile

GinAndTunic Thu 23-Mar-17 12:58:12

I love Faith, Hope and Kevin. Thank you for the much-needed laugh.

ScarlettFreestone Thu 23-Mar-17 13:01:32

I love Shakespeare and wouldn't have identified it as a theme, Miranda and Imogen are daily commonly used names anyway.

You could just go with it and call DD3 Viola. wink

(Cecilia is lovely though!)

ScarlettFreestone Thu 23-Mar-17 13:02:06

^^daily? Fairly

squoosh Thu 23-Mar-17 15:06:41

You overthinking it but if by chance anyone points it out just loftily tell them that the theme is ‘Pre-Raphaelite paintings’ instead of ‘Shakespeare’. I’m sure John William Waterhouse has paintings of both St Cecilia and Shakespeare's Miranda, and there's a painting of Imogen by another Pre- Raphaelite whose name escapes me at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now