Girls name Mayanna

(22 Posts)
xBIBIx Mon 20-Mar-17 22:02:40

Hi there, we like this pretty but very rare name. It has scandinavian roots (pronounced Myanna as in how Maya is actually pronounced Mya) and DH is half danish although it's origin seems unclear from google search. Just worried its too unheard of! There is a swedish actress from Ripper Street called Myanna but that's about it...

Wondering what you think of this name? Thank you!!

Usanayme Mon 20-Mar-17 22:23:23

I've never heard it before but it seems fairly intuitive. Although I'd probably say may-ann-uh at first for the pronunciation.

Do you not like the Myanna spelling, it'd help with the pronunciation

Joeybee Tue 21-Mar-17 00:54:59

I think it's a lovely name, easily spelt and pronounceable, it sounds modern and classic.

LorLorr2 Tue 21-Mar-17 01:45:53

It's likely to be pronounced how it sounds (May instead of My) but even that mistake is pretty so it's not a huge problem! You could go with My or Annie for short which is cute.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 21-Mar-17 02:02:47

I would have said May-Anna but people will get used to it. I do really like the Myanna spelling though. Looks pretty. Sounds lovely.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Tue 21-Mar-17 02:06:15

I know one of those but she spells it Maianne (she's German).

nooka Tue 21-Mar-17 05:01:49

If you go for My as a diminutive then she can have Little My as a namesake which would be appealing to many fierce little girls I imagine smile

I'd not personally take very seriously anything about origins of names on most baby name websites. I've found that you can pretty much put any random collection of letters in and somewhere will tell you in all seriousness that it is a legitimate name with a history.

Mayanna sounds more like a cognate of May and Anna - wouldn't Maja be more likely for Scandinavia?

SumAndSubstance Tue 21-Mar-17 10:28:20

I know one too. She spells it Mianna.

Pencilvester Tue 21-Mar-17 10:38:06

There is an actor (the wife from Kill List) called Myanna something, I think she's Swedish.

It's a lovely name.

I think people would be likely to want to pronounce the first 'A' if you spelt it as in the thread title, though.

EssentialHummus Tue 21-Mar-17 10:38:26

I would have said May-Anna

Same here. But easy enough to clarify.

JDelanysCleanHorse Tue 21-Mar-17 10:49:49

The actress is MyAnna Buring.

buttercup54321 Tue 21-Mar-17 10:58:48

Prefer it spelt Myanna, but yes its pretty

OneSecondAfter Tue 21-Mar-17 11:04:21

I would naturally pronounce it My- Anna.

It's nice.

ImperialBlether Tue 21-Mar-17 11:06:05

I know a Mayan (pronounced My-Ann.) It's a lovely name.

BasicBetty Tue 21-Mar-17 13:10:47

I've not heard it before. It's pretty. I'd pronounce it My-Anna too.
I wonder if it might get misheard as Marianna? Also a gorgeous name.

Annie592 Tue 21-Mar-17 13:18:04

I think it's a gorgeous name

Olbersparadox Tue 21-Mar-17 13:24:18

Sounds like Vaiana. I would go with Maya. Lots of Maya/ Maja in Scandinavia. Or Amaya as an alternative.

EssentialHummus Tue 21-Mar-17 13:29:21

There's also Maayan / Mayaan (not sure which) in Hebrew.

marmitecheesetoast Tue 21-Mar-17 13:48:06

Haven't heard the name before but think it's lovely!

xBIBIx Tue 21-Mar-17 21:21:27

Thank you all... I want to steer clear of scandinavian Maja or Maj as would be forever correcting the UK folk's pronunciation... Fo example Jenson is a lovely boys Danish name but is meant to be pronounced Yenson. Their J is actually a Y sound!

It's a tough one Myanna or Mayanna - I agree it's really pretty - wonder why it's not used more...? It's not even in top 1000 names!

crapfatbanana Tue 21-Mar-17 23:11:21

Awww, Little My! nooka

Mayanna is fab.

surroundedbyblondes Wed 22-Mar-17 05:19:47

Just saying that if you it's important to keep authentic scandi prononciation (Jensen/"Yensen") then in Sweden they don't pronounce the letter y as the English do. So My in Swedish is pronounced more like "muui" (difficult to write phonetically).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now