Talk

Advanced search

Beatrix, Daphne or Dorothy, which, if any go best with...

(38 Posts)
JanuaryJuniper Sat 18-Mar-17 22:29:24

Eli and Aphra? We have other names on our shortlist. But have always loved Beatrix, Daphne and Dorothy but not sure if they "go" with my other dc?

Two things to note....

I'm not looking for opinions on the above names just whether or not you think they fit. smile

I know some people don't get the concept or importance of sibling names matching, I'm not looking to get into a discussion as to whether this matters or not (it does to me) wink

lurkymclurkerson Sat 18-Mar-17 22:33:24

Dorothy or Beatrix. I love Daphne but it sounds quite similar to Aphra so I trip over it if I say it out loud.

BriocheBriocheBrioche Sat 18-Mar-17 22:36:27

I prefer Beatrix as it has a hard ending - it finishes the trio off quite nicely!

If there is a potential fourth child one day then maybe go with Daphne!

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 18-Mar-17 22:36:31

Beatrix

dannydyerismydad Sat 18-Mar-17 22:38:44

Love Beatrix. If DS had been a DD it would have been our choice.

There aren't enough Daphnes in the world either though.

Never met a nice Dorothy sad

Sophronia Sat 18-Mar-17 22:40:05

Dorothy

Yaz879 Sat 18-Mar-17 22:40:07

Esme or Skye/skylar is nice x

JanuaryJuniper Sat 18-Mar-17 22:41:00

100% no possibility of a fourth winkgrin

notangelinajolie Sat 18-Mar-17 22:44:17

Dorothy is lovely.

Yaz879 Sat 18-Mar-17 22:45:20

Sarah? Carrie? X

Ontopofthesunset Sat 18-Mar-17 22:45:31

None of them really as Eli and Aphra are both Old Testament Jewish sounding and the girls' names aren't. If you want a name that fits you would need something like Esther or Rebecca or Leah.

Yaz879 Sat 18-Mar-17 22:47:21

Grace? Esther I think is nice @ ontopofthesunset

JanuaryJuniper Sat 18-Mar-17 22:49:15

ontopofthesunsey I really really wish I could find a biblical girls name that I love (have a list as long as my arm for boys) but I just don't love any other biblical girls names.

lottieandmia Sat 18-Mar-17 22:56:37

Beatrix - was on my shortlist smile

crapfatbanana Sat 18-Mar-17 22:59:39

Beatrix for the same reason Brioche gave.

My phone wanted me to type Beatriz. That's also good.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sun 19-Mar-17 08:04:10

I don't think they do go very well with your other names OP.
That's not to say that I don't like them.
I would go with Daphne.
Delphine (Delphie).

JungleInTheRumble Sun 19-Mar-17 08:43:29

I think Dorothy sounds nice with Eli and Aphra.

RuthB4 Sun 19-Mar-17 09:01:44

Beatrix is the best fit I think.

TempsPerdu Sun 19-Mar-17 11:55:08

Of the three I'd pick Beatrix as the best fit with the others. Daphne is my favourite, but for me the 'aph' sound makes it too similar to Aphra.

JanuaryJuniper Sun 19-Mar-17 13:19:35

Do you ever feel that you are overthinking something...well I am definitely overthinking this.

It will definitely be our last dc I have lovely options for boys but just can't find anything that is just right for girls so I'm leaving no stone unturned!

I think Beatrix would be my favourite out of those particular three. I understand that it's not Hebrew like my dc but at this stage I will have to get something that in some way goes without being biblical.

NotYoda Sun 19-Mar-17 15:39:41

I think your children have great names, but I'm not sold on your suggestions

Beatrix is nice but i just hear Beer Tricks

It does 'go' best

Can I suggest:

Leah
Rebekah/Rebecca
Phaedra
Joy

1horatio Sun 19-Mar-17 16:53:31

Daphne smile it sounds softer than Beatrix and has less syllables than Dorothy. Which is why it fits in better with Eli and Aphra imo...

I like Dorothy and Beatrix as well. But I don't really think they go with your other names. However, I personally don't think it matters all that much. I mean, they're all individuals, I don't think their names have to "go" with each other...

What about these:
Aliza
Dana
Elah
Nahal
Ziva
Yael
Lior
Liora
Ori
Tova
Rivka
Riva
Eden
Rina
Orli/Orly
Lior
Liora

mummytobemaybe Sun 19-Mar-17 17:57:08

I love Beatrix

Pallisers Sun 19-Mar-17 18:01:48

Beatrix.

The others are more middle class, 1930s names - something you expect in an Elizabeth Jane Howard novel maybe.

Beatrix to me has the same edge as your other names.

(I know you didn't ask but I really don't like Dorothy tbh. Dorothea is so much better.)

DramaAlpaca Sun 19-Mar-17 18:03:57

I love Daphne, but I think Beatrix goes best with your other names, followed by Dorothy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now