Worried about regretting baby's name

(14 Posts)
Thinking6789 Sat 18-Mar-17 21:45:25

Hi, I'm worried that I'll come to regret the name I choose

Has anyone else regretted and how did they handle it?

blue2014 Sun 19-Mar-17 21:44:46

Why would you regret it?

cheersbye Sun 19-Mar-17 21:49:19

It will very quickly become their name, and so you will love it because it will be part of them. Sometimes I wonder whether we should have chosen something different for DD, but no idea what, and you've got to call them something!

Rockaby Sun 19-Mar-17 21:52:42

"Why would you regret it?"

This^^

Are you unsure if you really like the name you've chosen OP? If you aren't sure then maybe we can help you find another option? If your baby hasn't been born yet you could wait till they arrive and see what suits them.

Singingforsanity Sun 19-Mar-17 22:36:47

I never regretted it as such, but it took a while to become 'his name'. I think probably because things felt so unreal for a while his name became a part of that and felt a little unreal too. But I really, really love it now that it's 'his'.

crapfatbanana Sun 19-Mar-17 22:52:26

I never had the 'we must wait to see who they are' attitude.

We had a few names we liked and very quickly picked one from those shortly after the birth without too much debate or discussion. Never questioned the choice. If we'd had the baby another day we might have gone with a different name, but we'll never know.

My only 'regret' is that I can't have another half a dozen babies to use all the names I liked and didn't use.

TheShapeofYou Sun 19-Mar-17 22:54:43

DH chose ds2's name. I kinda liked it at the time, but now I'm not so sure (ds2 is now 3yo). There were no other names we could agree on, and I did kinda like it so went along with it.

My advice would be not to rush it or be pressured by anyone.

DaisyBlameless Mon 20-Mar-17 06:56:34

From these boards, baby name regret is reasonably common.

I didn't name any of mine until they were actually here, but had ideas in mind. Would that help, to see what they look like? brew

Pencilvester Tue 21-Mar-17 18:39:31

Do you have a name you really love, OP?

SuperBeagle Tue 21-Mar-17 19:45:54

I worried about this with both DDs, because I found girls names so difficult. But my DDs are now almost 2yo and 2mo, respectively, and I love both of their names. I didn't love them as much at the time I chose them, but they're a part of them now.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 22-Mar-17 18:28:50

I worried about it when I was pregnant, but only until I found the "right" two names. Then baby arrived and only one was right. Haven't gone off it or regretted it yet, though she's not yet 2 so there is still time I suppose!

kel1493 Wed 22-Mar-17 18:36:11

Why do you think you will regret it? Do you know the sex? Have you chosen a name or names if you don't know what you're having?
We didn't want to know the sex, so had to choose both a boy and a girl name. For us the boys name was easy- it was decided when I was about 6 months pregnant and that was set. The girls name we found a lot harder to choose.
If you have chosen a name, what made you chose it? If you have a list of names you like, think about each one individually. What made you choose it?
Some people do prefer to wait until the baby is born, others (like myself) prefer to have names decided before. Also remember that even if you do decide on a name before the birth, you can still change your mind once the baby arrives.

Thinking6789 Wed 22-Mar-17 18:51:36

I

Thinking6789 Wed 22-Mar-17 18:53:48

Sorry, pressed enter by mistake

I have anxiety and have trouble making/worrying over/sticking to decisions

Also worried that I'll psyche myself out of a beautiful name because I'll worry that it's it's Too Much. Then, I'll end up choosing something boring/safe/that I hate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now