Talk

Advanced search

Sesame Street character and our other names... Please rate them. Thanks :)!

(133 Posts)
1horatio Sat 18-Mar-17 21:28:48

Boy:

Elmo (can we? I love Elmo Gabriel ... ....-....) Do children know who Elmo is nowadays? Do you know who Elmo is (I didn't and neither did DH)?
Gabriel (too popular?)
Anton (nice, but isn't it a bit boring...?)
Elric
Clinton (I love the name. But I think it will have to remain a guilty pleasure, right?)

Girl:

Erica (my favourite)
Susannah
Helena (my 2nd favourite girl's name)
Louisa

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 18-Mar-17 21:30:23

Everyone knows who Elmo is.

I can do a really good impression.

BikeRunSki Sat 18-Mar-17 21:30:56

My children know who Elmo is. They are 5 and 8. I prefer Gabriel though.
Love Louisa.

1horatio Sat 18-Mar-17 21:32:57

Everyone knows who Elmo is.

WHY?? He's apparently just a red puppet... (Yes, I'm a bit annoyed. I thought we had the perfect name....)

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 18-Mar-17 21:37:41

You can still use the name.

There's loads of people called Bert or Ernie.

user1489577919 Sat 18-Mar-17 21:38:27

My first thought is the red puppet (I too can do an impressive impersonation of him singing Elmo's World). Then the patchwork elephant with body dysmorphia who is actually called Elmer but I always forget

1horatio Sat 18-Mar-17 21:41:57

Then the patchwork elephant with body dysmorphia who is actually called Elmer but I always forget

Is this also a character of a show...?

*There's loads of people called Bert or Ernie.*¨

But these are more commonly used names than Elmo, right?

Thinking6789 Sat 18-Mar-17 21:43:35

Elmer is a children's book about accepting yourself for who you are

CaipirinhasAllRound Sat 18-Mar-17 21:44:54

Love Erica
I like Gabriel too and Gabe but our surname starts with an M and if you say Gabe Murphy for example, you don't properly pronounce the B in Gabe so it sounds like gay Murphy

ArseyTussle Sat 18-Mar-17 21:45:47

How about Anselm? Still a saint and a bit less Jim Henson.

1horatio Sat 18-Mar-17 21:55:53

? Still a saint and a bit less Jim Henson.

Ah, that is a rather saintly list of name, isn't it? It's honestly not on purpose.

I'm not a fan of Anselm, sorry. But thank you smile! I have to google Jim Henson...

1horatio Sat 18-Mar-17 21:56:33

Elmer is a children's book about accepting yourself for who you are

That sounds like a really nice association, isn't it? smile Thank you smile

emochild Sat 18-Mar-17 21:56:52

If you call your baby Elmo he will be subjected to random tickles for his entire life!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o4x-VW_rCSE

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Sat 18-Mar-17 21:59:01

Elmo has a daily tv series on CBeebies. It's a cute name, but you can't do it.

Sparklingbrook Sat 18-Mar-17 22:01:03

Everyone knows who Elmo is. He's a legend. it would be like calling your child Spongebob.

1horatio Sat 18-Mar-17 22:05:51

Spongebob

Spongebob`? The few times I've seen/listened to the sound of this show (when over at friends etc...) I wanted to shoot the TV...

Are there names that sound like Elmo but aren't... well, Elmo?

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 18-Mar-17 22:10:13

DS used to think that Spongebob was a house made of cheese, despite the presence of the underwater stuff and him not having a door or windows.

Spongebob, the Cheese House, he called him.

Weird child.

CheerfullyIndifferent Sat 18-Mar-17 22:12:03

I showed a picture to my 7 year old of Sesame Street Elmo and she could name him. I think it's still on CBeebies (Furchester Hotel), so most children probably will know.
Still a usable name in my opinion, specially if you love it. If middle name is Gabriel, they can always use that if they don't like Elmo...

PaperdollCartoon Sat 18-Mar-17 22:12:50

My 4 year old nephew has Elmo toys. Pretty much everyone knows who it is and would instantly make the connection.
Anton isn't very common. I've never heard Elric, do you mean Eric?

fruitpastille Sat 18-Mar-17 22:14:48

What about Arlo?

BikeRunSki Sat 18-Mar-17 22:14:56

Errol?

1horatio Sat 18-Mar-17 22:19:01

DS used to think that Spongebob was a house made of cheese, despite the presence of the underwater stuff and him not having a door or windows.
That's so cute! It's absolutely adorable!
I stil don't understand how teens (well, we were teens back then) could like Spongebob. How anybody could like it... If somebody wants to make me angry? Force me to watch it. Or just listen to it....

Still a usable name in my opinion, specially if you love it. If middle name is Gabriel, they can always use that if they don't like Elmo... Maybe... ? I mean, depending on the child they may love the association. An other child may be bullied viciously. It's a bit of a gamble...

I've never heard Elric, do you mean Eric

No, Elric. It's a real name.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 18-Mar-17 22:19:20

Errol!!

Have you seen 15 Story's High??

Character in that called Errol and he has a 'thing' for peeling off wallpaper. Can't help it!

1horatio Sat 18-Mar-17 22:20:58

Arlo?

I have issues pronouncing the English are and l if they're next to each other (world as well, for example).

I don't like it how I pronounce it, with an roled r...

LEELULUMPKIN Sat 18-Mar-17 22:22:42

Don't forget errol, Roland Rat's mate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now