Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on this name?

(38 Posts)
justanotheryoungmother Sat 18-Mar-17 20:15:22

So DP and I are expecting our first (32 weeks) and we have argued over names since the beginning. He likes Gaelic names and I'm not as keen. However, we were watching the Gilmore Girls and he decided that the best name that he has ever heard is Lorelai and has his heart set on it. I really wanted Lily, but he won't budge! He hates Lily and no other suggestions take his fancy. I don't not like Lorelai but it's not my favourite, however he's picked a lot worse, so this seems to be the best one thus far; what are your opinions on the name?confused

PaperdollCartoon Sat 18-Mar-17 20:19:28

I love Lorelai - and definitely Rory for short. Lily is so overused and seriously boring.

PaperdollCartoon Sat 18-Mar-17 20:19:57

Or Lori for short is also lovely

EssentialHummus Sat 18-Mar-17 20:20:01

I like it!

helenfagain Sat 18-Mar-17 20:21:33

I love it. Was on my girls name list but we had a boy.

celtiethree Sat 18-Mar-17 20:23:07

Lorelai is great, lily is dull

Someone22 Sat 18-Mar-17 20:23:12

I don't even know how to say it. Lily is beautiful.

celtiethree Sat 18-Mar-17 20:24:42

Plus Gaelic names are usually great as well!

coffeetasteslikeshit Sat 18-Mar-17 20:25:47

Hate it. But that's because I associate it with someone I know.

BakerBear Sat 18-Mar-17 20:28:50

I ve no idea how to pronounce that

helensburgh Sat 18-Mar-17 20:31:48

Names are sidividual.
I'd just wait till she's born.
I'm presuming pronounced lorel I
I like it

Fruitcocktail6 Sat 18-Mar-17 20:35:00

You don't how to pronounce it? Read it again, it's pretty phonetic.

Lor-el-ai

I love it.

NuffSaidSam Sat 18-Mar-17 20:35:00

Love the Gilmore Girls! Lorelai is a great character, I'm not mad keen on the name though.

I also don't think you should settle for something that you don't really like. You're going to have to say/call/shout this name about 10 million times....choose one you like!

florascotianew Sat 18-Mar-17 20:35:04

The usual spelling in English is Lorelei; the usual spelling in German is Loreley. The 'ai' spelling seems to have been popularised by the TV show.

The original Loreley/Lorelei is a rock in the River Rhine in Germany. It's in a dangerous stretch of the river where boats were wrecked in the past. So Loreley/Lorelei also became the name of a mythical water-spirit (rather like a mermaid) that sat on the rock and lured sailors to their deaths. Poems and songs were written about her. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorelei_(disambiguation)#In_geography

Lorelei Lee was also the name of the protagonist (THE original dizzy blonde, who said 'diamonds are a girl's best friend') in the famous novel of that name by Anita Loos. Am not sure that this makes Lorelei a good role model in these egalitarian times ...

DramaAlpaca Sat 18-Mar-17 20:37:37

I'm really sorry, but you did ask for opinion. I think it's hideous.

YogaAndRum Sat 18-Mar-17 20:41:53

Love it for the mythical water spirit connections mentioned about.

Lilly is dull to me. It's nice but I feel like every other little girl I know is called Lilly

YogaAndRum Sat 18-Mar-17 20:42:18

*above

LorLorr2 Sat 18-Mar-17 20:42:27

I think it's lovely. There's something old fashioned-feeling about it yet it's not common. You could name her Lorelai but still nickname her Lily yourself- I know Lorelai doesn't technically shorten to it but who cares, if that's the compromise that is needed.

ThoraGruntwhistle Sat 18-Mar-17 20:43:54

It looks nice written down (spelled Lorelei) but I think it's horrible said out loud confused

TheUpsideDown Sat 18-Mar-17 20:48:18

Is it pronounced Lori-lye or Lori-lee? (Sorry I don't watch Gilmore Girls and never come across this name before)

If its pronounced Lori-lye I don't personslly like it

If its pronounced Lori-lee I do like it. It rolls off the tongue better than Lori-lye (to me, anyway)

florascotianew Sat 18-Mar-17 21:05:19

In German, it's approx Law-rel-EYE (emphasis on last syllable) or Law-rel-eye (emphasis the same on all three syllables)

Sophronia Sat 18-Mar-17 22:00:09

I only like it spelled Lorelei.

Joeybee Sat 18-Mar-17 23:42:05

Why can he not compromise too? Don't see why he won't budge on names. It's your child too. I've read a lot of posts of people regretting names. One of the biggest reasons seems to be going for a name that you don't really like, or going for a name to keep someone else happy. Me and my DH have very different opinions on names, but we are both working together to find one, no way I'd go with a name i didn't REALLY love just because he is stubborn.

SuperBeagle Sun 19-Mar-17 03:44:29

I don't like it.

I'm not a fan of the sound. The "lie" sound on the end bothers me, and it doesn't roll off the tongue nicely.

You both need to love the name. If you don't love Lorelei, it's a no-go. He doesn't get to dictate.

RuthB4 Sun 19-Mar-17 05:28:44

Really really really hate it! Sorry!! I think it would be a pain for her to explain to people the pronounciation and spelling all her life. And she'll forever have people saying "Oh, like the Gilmore Girls". Don't do it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now