Talk

Advanced search

Why do you keep spelling my son's name Elliott!?

(39 Posts)
Plutive Fri 17-Mar-17 18:24:50

This is to the posters who have clearly spelt a name in a certain way in their OP, but people still spell it in a way that they prefer grin I see it with Elliot/Elliott, Aidan/Aiden, etc. and it's written right in front of them! I get it in real life.

Why do you do it, when it's written right there???

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Fri 17-Mar-17 18:26:38

Auto-correct.

Mine won't let me spell Phyllis with one L, despite knowing a Phyllis with one L.

Getmeouttaherenow Thu 30-Mar-17 09:20:56

For the same reason people make it to adulthood without being able to spell their/they're/there correctly despite it being there in front of them for several decades I'd imagine!

crapfatbanana Thu 30-Mar-17 10:44:21

If there is more than one spelling I try to use the preferred spelling of the OP, but being a Bear of Small Brain I often forget which spelling was used when I've read the thread and I'm about to compose a reply. I'm also too lazy to scroll back up to check. I figure the OP will not be too bothered as they don't know me and my opinion or choice of spelling really doesn't matter in this context.

It doesn't bother me much when discussing potential and undecided names here, but in real life my daughter has her name spelled incorrectly a lot (she is Elspeth and people keep writing Elsbeth on cards and invitations, grrrr) which annoys me as I think it is very rude to not use the spelling we use.

Isadora2007 Thu 30-Mar-17 10:48:33

Oh that's interesting CFB as I wanted to call dd Elsbeth but was told it wasn't even a name and she would be called Elspeth forever. So she is a Beth(any).

crapfatbanana Thu 30-Mar-17 10:52:57

Bethany is lovely - that and Bethan were options for us. Elsbeth is definitely a name in its own right though. There is Elspet without the final h too!

iklboo Thu 30-Mar-17 10:58:01

I'm 47. People still spell my name wrong - including people I've worked with for 12 years and FIL & his wife. They even spell it wrong when replying to emails that have my full name in the email address and the signature.

Writerwannabe83 Thu 30-Mar-17 11:10:13

Loads of people spell my son's name wrong (they typically use the traditional spelling) even if the correct spelling is right in front of them - it's really annoying grin

RedSandYellowSand Thu 30-Mar-17 11:18:00

Tell you what tho, if you spell their name wrong, they will pick up on it.
Lady with a several legitimate spellings kept getting my name (with a couple of legitimate spellings) wrong. I'd ignored it. I'd mentioned it. No change. Got her name once, all hell broke loose - but she rarely got my name wrong again.

MaroonPencil Thu 30-Mar-17 11:23:19

It can be autocorrect. I messaged a friend called Katerina and my phone corrected it to Katrina, it's mortifying because I do know her name!

In real life it just can be very hard to remember, although that's not an excuse when it is written in front of you. People I know with names I find very hard to remember how to spell are Vicki (is it Vicky), Milly (Millie?), Callum (Calum?), Ally (Ali?) and Nikki (Nicky?). Some of those are members of my family and every Christmas I have to trawl Facebook to try to work out how they spell their name.

Chocolatecake12 Thu 30-Mar-17 11:28:01

The shortening of my name can be spelt in many ways.
I send an email, sign off with my name spelt my way, get a reply addressed to a different spelling! Drives me nuts!!

MrsMeeseeks Thu 30-Mar-17 11:28:54

Some people are just not very good at spelling. It's not worth getting upset about.

CaoNiMartacus Thu 30-Mar-17 20:27:49

Argh I get that too, Chocolatecake.

For example, I write:

Dear X,

Blahblahblah.

Best wishes,

Lizzie

The reply:

Dear Lizzy.

angry

IT'S RIGHT THERE BEFORE YOUR EYES! -IE! NOT -Y!

SuperBeagle Thu 30-Mar-17 20:34:30

To be fair, the Elliot(t)s I know both spell their name Elliott.

I often get Elisabeth instead of Elizabeth. Doesn't bother me, even though I've never met anyone with the Elisabeth spelling and assumed it wouldn't be common here.

MelinaMercury Thu 30-Mar-17 21:05:21

I have this issue with my name too, even my Gran spells my name with an "e" as do most people but I guess that's because it's the most commonly used form.

Although to be fair there are 4 variations of it (think popular 80's, ends in y, ey, i or ie). Drives me mad!

HecateAntaia Thu 30-Mar-17 21:11:42

I think with reading, people see what they expect to see and this this can mean that they sometimes don't see what's actually written. their brain 'corrects' it without them even noticing.

SoupDragon Thu 30-Mar-17 21:33:27

Even the bloody tax office can't spell DS2's name correctly and his is spelt the correct way. He has had his NI number issued in an incorrect name.

Joeybee Fri 31-Mar-17 06:27:21

My Husband is called Bryan, and people write Brian ALL the time, even when he's spelt the name out.
My name is Joanna. People don't spell my name wrongly but often SAY it wrongly...it is SO annoying. I get called Joanne all the time.

Elliot is one of my favourite baby names, but the spelling is an issue for me as I know people would spell it Elliott.

Thats why I'm trying to find names which are obvious to both spell and say!

DaisyBlameless Fri 31-Mar-17 06:29:22

Elliott does have two tts though halo

Whatatododo Fri 31-Mar-17 06:38:18

I have a friend called Philippa and I can honestly never remember how many 'l's or 'p's even though I have seen it written down many times and she gets quite offended about it.

SuperBeagle Fri 31-Mar-17 06:59:17

My Husband is called Bryan, and people write Brian ALL the time, even when he's spelt the name out.

My grandfather is a Bryan/Brian. His parents wanted it spelt Bryan but it was spelt Brian on his birth certificate and so Brian he is. confused grin

00100001 Fri 31-Mar-17 07:03:53

That's the trouble with giving a child a name that has different legitimate spellings

It's the same problem as calling then something like Tanya. People will call them tar-nya when actually you pronounce it tan-ya (or vice versa)

SoupDragon Fri 31-Mar-17 07:15:38

That's the trouble with giving a child a name that has different legitimate spellings

No, it's the trouble with people who can't be arsed to read the name in front of them.

SquedgieBeckenheim Fri 31-Mar-17 07:20:46

My Dad's name is always spelt wrong. There are many ways to spell it, but we use the traditional correct spelling. It bugs me mostly when people use the wrong spelling when they have the correct one in front of them!

ShowOfHands Fri 31-Mar-17 07:23:42

People get my name wrong all the time as it's unusual. DD has a less common but perfectly legitimate spelling for her name. People use the common one sometimes. I don't give a hoot. It's auto correct or an oversight or dyslexia or confusion with a friend who has the other spelling or they're in a hurry and on and on.

People make mistakes. I can't waste time getting irate about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now