Talk

Advanced search

Any teachers about? Would you judge a Jayden?

(74 Posts)
Shapelle Wed 15-Mar-17 21:07:00

Just that please. Thank you.

GuinessPunch Wed 15-Mar-17 21:09:58

These mumsnet kinda teachers would yes.

TheFirstMrsDV Wed 15-Mar-17 21:10:49

Why on earth would you care?
As soon as someone posts 'I am a teacher and I would judge a Jayden' their opinion becomes worthless.
Because they are a twat.

BackforGood Wed 15-Mar-17 21:11:07

In what way?
Do you mean make decisions about them before meeting them because that is their name? Of course not.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 15-Mar-17 21:12:06

I'm not a teacher but I know a tax accountant at a Big 4 firm who is a Jayden.

I expect his teachers are proud of him.

TheElephantofSurprise Wed 15-Mar-17 21:12:20

Teachers don't have time to be prejudiced. If a child works hard and is polite, makes progress and doesn't cause any harm, s/he could be called Smelly-Bottom Fartpants for all they care.

superram Wed 15-Mar-17 21:12:54

I try not to, I wouldn't use it myself as in my experience the 3 I have taught have all been a bit naughty but also lovely with it (one wasn't). I there are exceptions to the 'naughty' name stereotype.

Shapelle Wed 15-Mar-17 21:13:56

I care because my son starts nursery soon and I didn't realise his name wasn't liked and I'm just a bit worried now as he's a very sweet boy and if he's going to be judged I really do blame myself.

TheFirstMrsDV Wed 15-Mar-17 21:14:41

I there are exceptions to the 'naughty' name stereotype
Of course there are. Its not a science. Its a prejudice.

LucyFuckingPevensie Wed 15-Mar-17 21:14:57

I judge the teachers who judge children by their names.
I used to be a TA, we wouldn't have a preconception about a Jaiden, Kai or whatever other names MN hate. Teachers and support staff who do are obviously in the wrong job.

TheFirstMrsDV Wed 15-Mar-17 21:16:14

People judge on MN.
They don't tend to in real life. If they do they keep it to themselves.

Its a name. A perfectly nice name. I have no time for grown, educated adults who claim to know what a child will be like from their name and nor should you.

StrumpersPlunkett Wed 15-Mar-17 21:16:16

Not a teacher but a t/a
Having met Jaydens Kaydens Haydens
Channel, Mercedes, Tiaras
I no longer judge by name. Although if I am honest I did before
The children above are a true mix of gorgeous, clever, mischievous, nerdy, from backgrounds of married 30 somethings and single 20 somethings and 4 different nationalities.
Go with a name you love and bugger the rest. 😀

Ca55andraMortmain Wed 15-Mar-17 21:17:04

No of course not. If someone asked me outside of work what I thought of a name I might have opinions or think of certain names as 'posh', or otherwise. But honestly when I get a class list I look at the surnames ( ie any siblings of previous pupils to see if I already know anything about their families etc) but I'm not very interested in what they're called, only in what they're like as people!

SuperPug Wed 15-Mar-17 21:17:12

Not at all. It would be pathetic to judge a child on a name.
I think it's a good name and Jay is also nice.

PrimeMinistersQuestionables Wed 15-Mar-17 21:18:11

I would wonder if you liked will smith films/ the fresh prince of bel air, based on the Jayden smith link. But no I wouldn't judge you or your son!

Bordersarethebest Wed 15-Mar-17 21:22:18

It's a heart-sink name when going through the register before the start of a new school year, sorry! But I'm sure your lovely boy will be appreciated for himself.

LucyFuckingPevensie Wed 15-Mar-17 21:22:38

The naughty name stereotype is utter bollox, I have seen all sorts of different names on there, they can't all belong to the dreaded déclassé social group that would "sentence" their child to a name like Kai or Jayden. It's just another stupid way of putting people down.

Crookshanks24 Wed 15-Mar-17 21:25:09

I am a teacher and no, absolutely not! I have enough to worry about rather than think on little ones names! I would be disgusted and ashamed of any teachers that do.

Bitofacow Wed 15-Mar-17 21:29:15

I've name changed because of all the judging going on.
You can virtually set the kids by name and hair cut.

You do your best to give them all a level playing field, but teachers are not the only ones susceptible to stereotyping. Jayden would give me pause but I would try to be fair. It would depend on his hair cut.

LucyFuckingPevensie Wed 15-Mar-17 21:35:54

Well, there you go . You could call your child Buttplug if you wanted and Cow wouldn't judge if he had naice middle class hair.

Moussemoose Wed 15-Mar-17 21:37:27

Buttplug would be a hippy not a naughty boy.

Shapelle Wed 15-Mar-17 21:38:35

@Bitofacow what kind of hair do you judge? confused his hair is this http://tinypic.com/r/2hz5m2u/9

coolaschmoola Wed 15-Mar-17 21:39:11

As a teacher I can honestly say that I never judge a child by their name... But, as I'm being honest, I DO judge their parents! grin

Not for normal names like Jayden - it's more for the Kcley (Casey-lee), Ulysses, Zeus, Neveah and K-a (Kadasha and no, I didn't make it up).

Sadik Wed 15-Mar-17 21:39:45

"You can virtually set the kids by name and hair cut."
Doesn't work in dd's secondary school - the all round golden boy pupil has a 'unique' spelling of a frequently judged name, and the top sets are well supplied with other names that would be shot down in flames on here.

Terfinator Wed 15-Mar-17 21:40:11

Please don't worry OP. Most teachers are nice, smart people who do the job because they love children. smile

Also, Jayden is a lovely name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now