Talk

Advanced search

Middle name for Ben?

(20 Posts)
Penguin13 Tue 14-Mar-17 06:01:25

We are expecting a surprise (surprise in the sense of don't know sex- was very much planned!) DC2 and have a girl's name lined up and after much deliberation reached, 'Ben' for a boy. Don't know why but we are struggling to find a middle name to go. Ideally would be just Ben rather than Benjamin although I don't think we would necessarily be averse to using Benjamin and shortening to Ben. Surname begins with F and two syllables if it makes a difference. Generally into solid trad names (hence Ben in the first place I guess!) but also like slightly less common but not totally wacky like Evan, Dylan, Elliot etc. Thanks in advance for any help!

JonesyAndTheSalad Tue 14-Mar-17 06:04:40

Having had two children and struggled with middle names for both...I would advise not using one unless there's a family name you want to include or unless there's a second boy's name which one of you adores and wants included.

We gave our first DD a middle name which neither of us was passionate about and we really regret it as it means nothing and makes her name too long in general as our surname is a big one.

DD 2 came along and got one name. You don't have to have a middle name.

MrsMontgomerySmythe Tue 14-Mar-17 06:10:57

Benjamin John?
Benjamin George?

But known as Ben

Oysterbabe Tue 14-Mar-17 06:22:30

Alexander

Penguin13 Tue 14-Mar-17 06:27:28

Thanks for the replies both. DD has a middle name I love as it's my mum's name but can't do similar for DC2 as my older sibling has done as per family tradition. Just feel a bit mean not giving DC2 a middle name when DC1 has one although I guess they are unlikely to care that much really grin

John is out for abovementioned reason. Beginning to think Benjamin shortened to Ben might be the way forward as it seems easier to put middle names that flow with it.

Sophronia Tue 14-Mar-17 06:52:15

Benjamin Eli
Benjamin Asa
Benjamin Luke
Benjamin Isaac
Benjamin Leo
Benjamin Eric
Benjamin Lewis
Benjamin Daniel
Benjamin Ezra
Benjamin Hugo
Benjamin Louis
Benjamin Levi
Benjamin Philip
Benjamin Seth
Benjamin Thomas
Benjamin Felix
Benjamin Rory
Benjamin Patrick
Benjamin Lucas
Benjamin Theo
Benjamin Zachary

Ben Alexander
Ben Christopher
Ben Gabriel
Ben Lucas
Ben Patrick
Ben William
Ben Lewis
Ben Zachary
Ben Robert
Ben Nicholas
Ben Elliot
Ben Nathaniel

RuthB4 Tue 14-Mar-17 06:53:05

Does it matter if your DC2 and his/her cousin share a middle name? Several of my nephews and nieces share middle names as they are named after family members. Could you ask your sibling?

I agree that it is lovely to have a mn that means something.

JonesyAndTheSalad Tue 14-Mar-17 07:06:06

My second child couldn;t care less she has no middle name!

60percentofthetime Tue 14-Mar-17 07:13:15

Benjamin Charles
Benjamin James?

Penguin13 Tue 14-Mar-17 07:29:38

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone - there has to be one on Sophronia's huge list that works smile

WanderingTrolley1 Tue 14-Mar-17 07:30:39

James

Ifailed Tue 14-Mar-17 07:35:12

Dover?

Penguin13 Tue 14-Mar-17 08:12:48

Ifailed grin believe me when I say my husband has listed every single comedy possibility hmm

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Tue 14-Mar-17 09:19:52

The Bens I know have these middle names:

David
James
Alexander
Robert

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 14-Mar-17 09:23:23

Benedict. .

FourKidsNotCrazyYet Tue 14-Mar-17 09:28:18

If you dont really want a middle name then don't. My three boys all have two middle names each (after lots of relatives in our family) but our daughter has a hyphenated/double barrelled first name and no middle name. Not because she's a girl but because it was causing too much family friction at the time so we went without. None of them mind, care or have ever really mentioned it.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 14-Mar-17 09:28:46

Well OP Ben Elliot sounds great!
Ben Cassidy
Ben Curtis

Or something like Hunter?

Twistmeandturnme Tue 14-Mar-17 09:32:21

Came on to say Alexander. If I'd had a boy Benjamin Alexander would have been his name. Then a saw lots of pp have beaten me to it!

Starduke Tue 14-Mar-17 09:33:59

Our Ben has his dad's name as his middle name.

And DS2 has a male version of my name as his middle name.

Can't see the point in middle names unless they're an acknowledgement of someone.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 14-Mar-17 09:47:41

Ben Elliot Surname, does go well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now