Talk

Advanced search

William or Henry?

(42 Posts)
Autumnsunshinebaby Mon 13-Mar-17 20:21:47

What would you choose and which one is less popular in RL? Thank you

NuffSaidSam Mon 13-Mar-17 20:27:14

Both nice.

William is more popular I think, but also timeless.

Henry is less popular, but I think quite 'of the moment' so might not age as well.

William is very universal, Henry is quite posh.

William is more versatile and has more nn possibilities.

Rockaby Mon 13-Mar-17 20:29:09

Henry, but I really like both.

Ontopofthesunset Mon 13-Mar-17 20:40:28

I know loads of boys with both names but have an irrational dislike of Henry. It's the 'hen' part. So William every time for me.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 13-Mar-17 20:41:07

William , love Will

Autumnsunshinebaby Mon 13-Mar-17 20:43:04

I love Will but like Henry more than William. I just don't know which to choose

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 13-Mar-17 20:46:10

If you love Will just call him Will. Everyone will take their lead from you. I knew a Billy at school no one at all tried to call him William.

Joffmognum Mon 13-Mar-17 20:53:40

My DS is called Henry, so I'm biased. I've never met another child called Henry (although a couple of adults). I did have the health visitor call him Harry when he was a couple of months old. Annoyed me more than is reasonable probably.

Eminybob Mon 13-Mar-17 21:05:04

I'm the biased owner of a William.
I prefer it to Henry (obvs) but do like Henry too. As other have said, William gives lots of nn.

I also love Harry. DH vetoed it so we went for William instead, but than backtracked after we had already named ds saying the liked Harry now and think it would have suited him hmm And now if we have another ds we can't use it either, for obvious reasons.

Autumnsunshinebaby Mon 13-Mar-17 21:07:00

For those of you who have your own Williams, is there any trouble at school with inappropriate nicknames?

GMOOH Mon 13-Mar-17 21:08:35

Know loads of lovely Williams and Henrys. Slight pref for William as think like a pp said it's a bit more universal. Wouldn't worry about nn's.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Mon 13-Mar-17 21:11:35

My best friend has both a Henry and a William (and a George).

Both are extremely popular here - although I would say most little Williams are 5+ whereas the Henrys I know are younger.

Eminybob Mon 13-Mar-17 21:12:26

Ds isn't at school yet but I'm not worried about that. I knew Williams growing up and they were called Will, William or Billy or whatever I don't think there was any pisstaking.
My mum made an inappropriate comment when I told her his name (after he was born), but she is a twat.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 13-Mar-17 21:15:02

I have a William op, never ever been called Willy if that's your worry. He's now 21. Firmly a Will.

mum2be2boys Mon 13-Mar-17 21:19:32

Out of the two I prefer William.

Both seem equally popular in our area - a few years ago I had a William, a Billy (full name William) and two Henrys in the same class! They would be 13/14 years old now though.

There is a 3 year old William at my son's pre-school and we used to go to baby groups with a Henry who is now in reception class (4/5 years old)

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 13-Mar-17 21:39:46

OP, if you prefer Henry, go with it.
They're both lovely names.

Autumnsunshinebaby Mon 13-Mar-17 21:48:04

Thank you everyone!

Daytona79 Mon 13-Mar-17 21:48:54

I've a 7 month old William, named after my father who gets called Bill / Billy

Not met any other baby Williams as of yet

Sophronia Mon 13-Mar-17 22:00:24

William. I agree that Henry is more "of the moment", although it is a classic too.

MesmereldaM Mon 13-Mar-17 22:10:37

I've noticed every baby boy now is henry. Literally. It's the new jack and I predict will be number one at some point.

Mrsknackered Mon 13-Mar-17 22:12:38

William! I like Henry too but know a lot of little Henry's.
William is also cute shortened to Will and Billy.

ChippieBeanAndHorro Mon 13-Mar-17 22:17:40

I prefer Henry, tbh.

But both are really nice smile

Gummibears Mon 13-Mar-17 22:33:44

I don't like the Willi part of William. Also, Will sounds like a verb: Will, will you...confused

So I'd choose Henry

wobblywonderwoman Mon 13-Mar-17 22:37:40

I know one baby Henry and no William

I prefer Henry I think

OrlandaFuriosa Mon 13-Mar-17 22:39:39

Charles.

( sorry. Actually, I like both. Why not both?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now