We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Iago?

(38 Posts)
Badge2 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:02:07

Hi I'm new to this so bear with me...

Found out we are having a Boy and really want a Welsh name, out of all the names me and my DH have heard we love Iago (pronounced ee-ah-go)

Only problem is no one else seems to like it and keep getting told it's a bad-guys name (Othello/Aladdin?)

Is it really a that bad a name? Any other suggestions?

Megatherium Mon 13-Mar-17 19:05:30

Yes, it is that bad a name. Jago?

ErrolTheDragon Mon 13-Mar-17 19:09:02

I'm sorry, but Shakespeare really did ruin the name Iago - it's on a par with Judas or Cain. Anyway, isn't Iago a Spanish name?

The most similar name I can think of is Inigo - again, not Welsh but the most famous one was at least a Jones.grin

Kazzawazza69 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:10:47

It's quite a cool name but it does make me think of Aladdin. I don't think I'd be brave enough, but if you like it go for it!

florascotianew Mon 13-Mar-17 19:11:27

It's a nice enough name - version of Jacob if I remember correctly - but also if I remember aright the Welsh pronunciation is more like eih-yahh-gaw. Though there may well be regional variations.

Jago, as pp says, is the Cornish version

It's THE baddie name in classical English literature, and there's no getting away from that. It all depends on whether you and your family and friends think that Shakespeare is going to be referred to all the time in everyday life. I'd say that it probably won't be ....

Jooni Mon 13-Mar-17 19:13:08

I can definitely see the appeal but it does make me think of the villain in Othello. I love Jago though, but it isn't Welsh.

What about Iolo?

Badge2 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:13:11

My husband did say that when typed it could look like jago or Lago but it's iago

It was in a Welsh names book that we had gifted to us it apparently is the Welsh version of James or Jacob

Badge2 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:16:50

I do like Iolo but just seem to have Iago stuck in my head,

Thanks everyone good to know people opinions smile

caffeinequick Mon 13-Mar-17 19:22:13

I like it and probably wouldn't worry too much about the baddie aspect smile Saying that we live in wales and picked a name that very few people can pronounce (llion) so most of my family and friends call him 'the baby' 😂

Wolfiefan Mon 13-Mar-17 19:23:07

Iago is the ultimate villain. I wouldn't.

Backingvocals Mon 13-Mar-17 19:25:47

Shakespeare's taken Iago I'm afraid. You'd be giving DS a baddie name and I'd assume you really didn't know or you wouldn't have chosen it.

VanellopeVonSchweetz99 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:27:17

I actually like it but I wouldn't either. It's almost in league with Adolf or Judas.

ijustwannadance Mon 13-Mar-17 19:28:01

Yep, the bird in Aladdin.

Lumpylumperson Mon 13-Mar-17 19:28:53

Iago is the mouthy parrot from Aladdin isn't he?

As PP have said, what about Jago?

Pleasemrstweedie Mon 13-Mar-17 19:38:39

Ianto?

MoominMamma3 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:38:44

I love it OP! But if you're worried about the connotations what about Ianto?

MoominMamma3 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:39:27

Great minds mrstweedie wink

Knifegrinder Mon 13-Mar-17 19:42:00

I know it's just James, but I'm afraid that Shakespeare has really sewn up the branding of this one. You might as well call your baby Crookback or Shylock. People will expect him to toddle about hissing 'I am not what I seem' into his bib. grin

Mollyboom Mon 13-Mar-17 19:44:18

It is a Welsh name and there are plenty of them here. I understand the negative Shakespearean connotations but if you live in Wales nobody thinks of that. In fact there is a poem by R S Thomas a notable Welsh Poet in which the protagonist is named Iago Prydderch. For clarification it is pronounced "yaa go" ( two syllables). I think it is a wonderful name. Alternatives are Iolo, Ioan Iwan.

VictoriaMcdade Mon 13-Mar-17 19:44:43

Iago is shorthand for a very particular type of villain. Someone spiteful, jealous, and manipulative. A cursed creature who would sacrifice innocence and with no moral code.

Call him Oliver instead.

Badge2 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:46:44

I think it'll be back to the drawing board then!

Not to fussed with Ianto,

I like Ifan (was going to be high on he list) but quite popular around here,

Would like something a little bit different...

elQuintoConyo Mon 13-Mar-17 19:47:19

Santiago, nn Iago.

I haven't seen/read Aladdin. Don't care about Shakespeare - the guy's been dead a while grin

I like it.

BarInSpace Mon 13-Mar-17 19:51:00

I like Ianto.

Ieuan
Aidan
Alwyn
Owain
Tomos
Iestyn
Seth
Steffan
Morgan
Edwyn
Lewys
Ifor
Hywel

Mollyboom Mon 13-Mar-17 19:53:00

How about Caio, Iestyn, Dyfan, Llew. Owain?

LotisBlue Mon 13-Mar-17 19:54:11

How about idris?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now