Talk

Advanced search

I have a very gorgeous 6 week old little boy but he doesn't have a name :(

(207 Posts)
BabyBoy2017 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:01:44

He is 6 weeks old tomorrow and we do have an appointment to register him but I am crossing my fingers that I'm able to change it.

The issue is that we just can't agree. My favourite name is Elliot but he doesn't like it and his favourite is Montgomery (I had never heard of this name before I met him). He seems to like really over the top 'posh' names? confused my offer was Hugo - I thought that was an amazing compromise! He doesn't like that confused

I'm struggling massively sadsadsad

WankersHacksandThieves Mon 13-Mar-17 19:07:03

I really like Elliot but i'm not your OH. grin

Acceptable posh or fairly neutral?:

Miles
Marcus
Piers
Edwin
Edgar
Gregory
Felix
Benedict
Matthew
Austin
Alexander
Keir
Evan
Harvey

BabyBoy2017 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:11:09

We both like Evan from that list (we like others too but not both of us!) but I don't know if I can imagine him being an Evan sad

TheOnlyColditz Mon 13-Mar-17 19:11:35

Percival
Jonathan
Benedict
Maximillian
William (it's a prince's name, it's posh by default)
Edward
Harold
Henry

Snap8TheCat Mon 13-Mar-17 19:11:46

What about James? Everyone loves James!

WankersHacksandThieves Mon 13-Mar-17 19:13:54

I'll try again smile
Euan
Owen
Alban
Dorian
Whittaker
Edmund

switchitoff Mon 13-Mar-17 19:13:56

Acceptable posh:

Milo
Casper
Caspian
Jago
Laurence
Henry
Edward

StruggleAvenue Mon 13-Mar-17 19:14:07

What have you been referring him to him as for the past 6 weeks? Does your DH imagine him being Monty for short? Elliot is lovely by the way.

WankersHacksandThieves Mon 13-Mar-17 19:15:29

It's hard to imagine the name on a tiny baby, but they are babies for such a short time and you don't tend to use their name so much in the beginning.

Greenvalleymama Mon 13-Mar-17 19:16:30

Monty is pretty cute? I know a little boy called Monty. Not sure if his full name is Montgomery or not.
How do you feel about it being shortened to Monty?

Otherwise, I would suggest that you gave birth to him so you get ultimate say!

We were stuck between Henry and George, I wanted Henry and he wanted George, so we put both names into a hat and my DD chose one (Henry!). You could do that (if you could live with Montgomery?)

Or there is a baby name website which lets you both say yes/no to a huge list of names, and at the end it gives you any that you both agree on. I cant think of the name of the website. Might be worth a shot?

SimonNeilshair Mon 13-Mar-17 19:18:26

what about

Gabriel
Rufus
Alfred
Arthur
Edward
Jonathan

Jooni Mon 13-Mar-17 19:18:58

Just Monty is nice. I agree that Montgomery is a bit OTT though.

Elias
Jasper
Finnian
Hector
Jonty
Eben
Rufus
Nathaniel
Raphael
Gabriel
Maxim
Theodore

SimonNeilshair Mon 13-Mar-17 19:19:42

Or Laurence is lovely..Laurie is a very cute NN

PotteringAlong Mon 13-Mar-17 19:20:15

What do you call him now?

BabyBoy2017 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:21:30

Thanks all.

I call him a bunch of things secretly thinking his name is Elliot but silly things that can't be names.

Edmund is one we also both like (he's now gone off Evan angry).

Edmund just seems extremely posh.

VanellopeVonSchweetz99 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:22:26

Samuel
Alexander
Nicholas
Magnus
Orlando
Alisdair
Rufus
Emerson
Joakim
Benjamin
Simeon
Victor
Caspar

VanellopeVonSchweetz99 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:23:42

Finley
Emmet
Fabian
Edwin

Bringmewineandcake Mon 13-Mar-17 19:27:16

If you can't change the appointment I would register him as Elliot Montgomery and then once the pressure is off you can decide on his final full name. I think you can change their name fairly easily Up to 12 months old once registered.
Sorry OP, it must be very stressful to still be unable to agree 6 weeks on flowers

228agreenend Mon 13-Mar-17 19:28:45

Edmund nn Ed?

Edward
Donovan
Samuel
Rupert
Milo
Crispin
Tobias

apotheke Mon 13-Mar-17 19:31:18

6 weeks with no name? So sorry you are having such a hard time OP but I cannot comprehend how this is possible. We agreed our girls and boys names pretty early on in each pregnancy. Did you each think the other would concede after your DC arrived?

I guess I agree with a previous poster that you should register both names as first and middle and decide later which will be the 'known as' but I am genuinely incredulous.

StruggleAvenue Mon 13-Mar-17 19:32:06

Edmund, Eddie or Ed for short is lovely and IMO nicer than Edward. It doesn't seem ridiculously posh either.

Monty is cute for a little one but may potentially be a bit hmm when he's an older teenager or adult. Then again he could totally pull it off and no one would bat an eyelid! If he decided he didn't like Monty though I can't imagine that he'd want to use the full Montgomery on a day to day basis!

Quentin/Oscar/Vincent/Jocelyn/Miles/Alastair/Sebastian/Tobias/Jeremy/Charles/Julian are all great names that err towards being a bit 'posh' and all have lovely short name alternatives!

Goldnick Mon 13-Mar-17 19:32:11

I went to school with an Edmund (1970s Glasgow), not posh, known as Ed or Eddie. I really like it.

Enko Mon 13-Mar-17 19:32:28

Montgomery is a fantastic name. Monty is cute and a Montgomery can be anything there is IMO no idea of it being POSH it is just a good solid name.

Elliot for me will always be ds friend who whilst very sweet really lack in ambition to do or become anything.

I have known 2 Edmunds they were both lovely boys .. (no longer in contact with either hence boys)

What about Reginald? Reg for short IMO it is due a revival

apotheke Mon 13-Mar-17 19:33:06

And also Elliot is lovely OP. Montgomery is condoning your child to a lifetime of piss taking so I really hope you 'win' for your DS's sake.

Rockaby Mon 13-Mar-17 19:34:58

I love Edmund and don't think of it as posh. I do find Montgomery a little OTT myself.

How about Edward or Edwin maybe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now