Talk

Advanced search

Middle name for Adam

(17 Posts)
mum2be2boys Mon 13-Mar-17 18:07:07

We have chosen to call our little boy Adam (after what felt like months of deciding!)

Due date is fast approaching and we are struggling with a middle name. OH wants David after his Dad. I know it is fair as our eldest has a middle name honouring a member of my family (who passed away several years ago)

The problem is that I don't like the idea of naming our son after a living relative (especially as they will also have the same surname), I don't particularly like the name David, and my father in law and I don't get on very well! I also don't like that his first two initials would be the same as the first two letters of his name!

I know I'm being unreasonable, but the closer we get to the end, the stronger I feel about it.

We've discussed other middle names
Adam James
Adam Joshua
Adam Samuel
but OH doesn't like them and wants to go with Adam David.

Just wondering what you think of the middle name options, or if you have any other ideas? Am I letting my hormones cloud my judgement of using David?!

Thank you! (Sorry for the very long post!)

Pancaker Mon 13-Mar-17 18:09:54

Middle names don't really get used much so if you both agree on Adam then I would just go with David as a middle name, also sounds fair to your DH tbh. It might also help improve your relationship with your FIL!

mum2be2boys Mon 13-Mar-17 18:47:57

Thank you Pancaker, I wondered if that would be the best thing to do. I just think in my heavily pregnant, hormonal state I've been trying to avoid admitting it!

Pancaker Mon 13-Mar-17 18:56:30

I have 2 boys, it's fab, hope the birth all goes well

Kazzawazza69 Mon 13-Mar-17 18:59:11

Could you have 2 middle names?

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 13-Mar-17 19:02:26

I really like Adam David.
Suggestions ;
Adam John/Jon
Adam James
Adam Daniel
Adam Luke
Adam Charles
Adam Paul
Adam Alexander

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:06:17

Adam David is great to be fair.

I think if you've honoured your side of the family, it's not unfair for your DH to as well.

oleoleoleole Mon 13-Mar-17 19:51:38

My first born was going to be Adam David or another two names which he ended up with. I'd have Adam David or Adam Charles?

housewifebynamenotnature Mon 13-Mar-17 19:53:51

Adam John sounds really good to me, I don't know why.

SixFeetUnder Mon 13-Mar-17 19:56:42

Good choice on name! I have an Adam Alexander and his middle name is after his dad and FIL.

ZoSanDesu Mon 13-Mar-17 20:06:50

What about choosing your DHs first or middle name?

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Mon 13-Mar-17 20:18:28

Adam Christopher was my immediate thought.
I felt the same way about relatives names as you do.

NuffSaidSam Mon 13-Mar-17 20:31:22

I don't like Adam David because they both have the same number of syllables. I would put David in though, but just have another middle name first.

Adam Benjamin David
Adam Christopher David
Adam Gabriel David
Adam Nathaniel David
Adam Jonathan David

mum2be2boys Mon 13-Mar-17 21:32:58

Thank you everyone!

I hadn't thought of two middle names to be honest, the rest of us only have one so I'd automatically only thought about one. No reason he couldn't have two though!

oleoleoleole - My eldest son's middle name is Charles after my Grandfather :-)

My husband, Dad and brother all have the same name (and it is also my father in law's middle name too!) so I'd rather avoid that one. I like the idea of using husband's middle name - maybe as a second middle name? I will run it past him and see what he thinks!

Thank you for helping my hormonal brain think more clearly and logically about things! :-)

dementedma Mon 13-Mar-17 21:34:17

Adam James is nice

Sophronia Mon 13-Mar-17 22:40:22

I'd just go with Adam David

MrsHathaway Mon 13-Mar-17 22:55:25

I think they're all fine. I have an Adam Matthew myself and have never regretted his name don't ask about DC2 or DC3.

Our surname begins with J so in some circles he is known as AJ. Kind of cool and edgy for a kid whose only real nn potential otherwise is "Ad" (he gets that too).

I think middle names are largely ceremonial so they are a good place for honour names you don't actually like that much. I do think it's better to go with a meaningful name than a euphonious one unless it's really hideous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now