Talk

Advanced search

George- names for girls

(17 Posts)
BaffledMummy Mon 13-Mar-17 14:21:40

Love George- names for girls but struggling with which to pick. Interested in everyone's views...here's where head is at so far.
- Georgia...Love it but feel it might be 10 years past its peak....a bit dated? V popular in 90s.
- Georgina....like it but the 'eena' sound at the end is just a bit harsh?
- Georgiana...this is my favourite but is it too much of a mouthful?
- Georgette....I love this too but saw on another board that the -ette suffix in French is the equivalent of calling your child Maureen or Doreen! Also isn't it a kind of cheap material?!

I love Georgie but not as a standalone first name....more likely as a nickname.

Help me decide wise mumsnetters!

Rockaby Mon 13-Mar-17 14:36:06

Georgiana is my favourite.

CatsBatsEars Mon 13-Mar-17 14:39:56

Georgie is nice.

Plumpcious Mon 13-Mar-17 14:51:03

How are you pronouncing Georgiana? It's possibly open to confusion about your preferred pronunciation. [Although does anyone really pronounce it Jor-jay-na in the 21st century?]

BaffledMummy Mon 13-Mar-17 15:01:18

Hi plump - not keen on the counters of Devonshire version bit I don't think most people would be aware of that pronunciation...more like george-anna but without the hyphen and only a slight hint of an EE sound in the middle of that makes sense?

BaffledMummy Mon 13-Mar-17 15:02:06

Countess not counters!

mum2be2boys Mon 13-Mar-17 18:52:28

Georgia is my favourite :-)

Georgina feels more dated to me, but that could be because the only ones I know are from when I was growing up in the 80s, so are all now mid/late 30s (feeling old now!)

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 13-Mar-17 19:06:34

Georgina.

Kazzawazza69 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:07:23

Georgie is currently our front runner if baby number 2 is a girl. We don't care about it being nicknamey but I get that it's an issue for some.

Georgina seems dated to me. Georgette is a bit 'posh'. The other options are nice. I must admit I thought the pronounciation for Georgiana was Georgie-ah-na rather than Georgie-Anna.

ifcatscouldtalk Mon 13-Mar-17 19:09:59

Georgia is my favourite. I think that's because i know a lovely Georgia. I also like the way the name looks written down.

imsorryiasked Mon 13-Mar-17 19:17:10

I like Georgette but wood shorten to Etta.
I know an elderly Georgina and a child called Georgia. But no others.

Jooni Mon 13-Mar-17 19:21:06

I think I like Georgia best. Georgina has always sounded a bit whiny to me, and Georgiana is beautiful but does feel quite grand. Not too keen on Georgette - reminds me of courgette!

BaffledMummy Mon 13-Mar-17 20:05:44

Ha Jooni I will always think of Courgette now too! I think that rules it out once and for all smile
Kazza I think it may just be my inarticulate attempt at phonetics...I'd pronounce it the way you have written it which looks a lot more correct than my attempt!

allegretto Mon 13-Mar-17 20:10:56

I think Georgia is the best.

Chocolatecake12 Mon 13-Mar-17 20:16:16

I know a Geena.
But Georgie is a pretty name.

ChippieBeanAndHorro Mon 13-Mar-17 20:16:30

Georgina is imo the best.

Sophronia Mon 13-Mar-17 21:48:20

Georgina

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now