Talk

Advanced search

Not keen on the name that my wife loves, should I just agree to it?

(6 Posts)
AstridMoon Mon 13-Mar-17 12:20:28

Will it grow on me, do you think? smile I don't mind it, but definitely not a name I love, just wondering if I should just go with it and it will grow on me?

reuset Mon 13-Mar-17 12:29:43

I would say not. You both have to like it quite a bit as you'll be using it a lot. Plenty of names I 'don't mind' but I wouldn't use them for a child.

Gummibears Mon 13-Mar-17 12:54:33

No, choose a name you both love! There are thousands to choose from...

TheTantrumCometh Mon 13-Mar-17 13:26:29

I wouldn't just agree to a name, no. Me and DH have very different tastes in names. We both want the same 'type' of name (i.e. Not super popular but still a well known, traditional name) but our ideas of what names fit this criteria vary greatly confusedgrin

But, we've managed to name to DC already and have a girls name we both agree on for DC3, but haven't found a boys name yet. I think DD's name would be the same if just I had chosen it, or just DH had chosen it, as we both loved it and it was top choice for both of us. DS would have a very different name if either of us had our individual favourites at the time. And actually, I much prefer DS's name now. I can't imagine him being called anything else and it was a perfect fit- but we wouldn't have got to that name if we had just agreed with each other's choices.

If it's getting close to due date it may be worth you both considering a compromise that you're both happy with, but if not then just keep searching smile

TheTantrumCometh Mon 13-Mar-17 13:26:52

*two

sycamore54321 Mon 13-Mar-17 13:31:34

I think it depends. Do you also have a name or names that you absolutely love? If not, then maybe this name that one parent loves and the other likes is better than a name where you both only 'like' it. There is no need for you both to have equal value in the name. It also highly depends on just what your "not keen" means.

Can you tell us the name, the reasons if any that you dislike it (you don't need a reason but if there is one, t might add to the discussion) and wha your approach would be if you were choosing this name entirely solo.

There's also middle names for any additional preferences and whose surname the baby will have plays a small role too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now