Talk

Advanced search

Middle name Ernest (DH family tradition)

(33 Posts)
tuliipi Sun 12-Mar-17 18:39:10

I hate it so so much. DH won't budge. How much can a shitty middle name really affect a child?

First name we both love Samuel.

Jooni Sun 12-Mar-17 18:41:44

Ernest really isn't that bad! I think Samuel Ernest is rather handsome, actually. He can always tell people it's E for Edward or Eli or something if they ask.

Joinourclub Sun 12-Mar-17 18:42:52

Nobody needs to know his middle name. I'm not sure I know anybody's apart from family! And Ernest is cute anyway.

LoveDeathPrizes Sun 12-Mar-17 18:43:10

I think it's really nice but if you don't, then don't!

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 12-Mar-17 18:51:49

Start singing that Ernie the fastest milkman song until he's totally put off.

I don't think middle names matter that much. DH has a male friend with Mary as his middle name

BubbleBed Sun 12-Mar-17 18:52:19

Tis DSSs middle name. Not sure it's ever affected him tbh. I know my kids don't use their middle names for anything. And it's not a bad name tbh!

allegretto Sun 12-Mar-17 18:52:19

I like it.

greeeen Sun 12-Mar-17 18:53:32

I like it! I immediately pictured a handsome man when I said the name in my head.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sun 12-Mar-17 19:11:32

I had a really lovely Uncle Ernest, so I quite like it.
It certainly isn't a name to be ashamed, or embarrassed of.
Samuel Ernest, very nice.

Logolphin Sun 12-Mar-17 19:14:52

I love it! Could you dilute it a bit with two other names, so DH gets to chose the surname and Ernest and you get the first two names?

Samuel Henry Ernest Surname
Samuel James Ernest Surname

SuperBeagle Sun 12-Mar-17 20:00:19

Samuel Ernest is lovely. smile

Middle names can be completely out there. Most people they come into contact with won't have the vaguest idea about their middle name. All of mine have more unusual middle names than first (more unusual than Ernest), and it's a non-issue.

PollytheDolly Sun 12-Mar-17 20:02:02

Samuel Ernest is so cool!!!

paris1982 Sun 12-Mar-17 20:04:49

I like the two middle names idea - middle names are meant to be a bit funny or random arnt they? My dads middle name is Malcolm which always makes us laugh

Loungingbutnotforlong Sun 12-Mar-17 20:10:48

Samuel Ernest sounds really lovely- just conjures up a picture of a kind, handsome, gentleman smile

DrSeuss Sun 12-Mar-17 20:12:05

Surely you can see the Importance of being Ernest?
smile

tarheelbaby Sun 12-Mar-17 20:15:10

Family names are an excellent tradition. Since it's only a middle name, I think you should use it. As others suggested, it goes well with Samuel and in addition to Samuel, you could choose a middle name you like too. My dds both have family names with 2 middle names and love hearing their connections with other relatives. Maybe choose a name from your side (your father, grandfather, uncle?) or important to you (author, artist?) to balance the stories. DD1 has a name which has been passed down 7 generations and being part of that chain bolsters her. DD2 is named for a 'famous' lady in DH's family. Her surname is still carried in other relatives' names, so she feels part of a 'clan' too.

dailyshite Sun 12-Mar-17 20:16:43

Samuel Ernest is a great name!

Champers4Pampers Sun 12-Mar-17 20:21:36

I like Samuel Ernest.

My Great Grandfather was Ernest and DB has it as his middle name.

I understand you don't like it but it's just his middle name so it's not something he'll use in day to day life.

SingaSong12 Sun 12-Mar-17 20:24:53

I love Ernest so wouldn't think of it as shitty. I live Samuel too. What ever name you chose some will love, some be neutral and think it's horrible. I try not to think of any name as horrid in case I come across someone with the name (what's the betting a new colleague joins?).

ComeTheFuck0nBridget Sun 12-Mar-17 20:24:54

Ernest is lovely. I think it will be having a revival soon.

PetalMettle Sun 12-Mar-17 20:49:23

I love it. But realistically middle names don't matter that much. My mums family always used to do mother'S maiden name and I was quite sad it stopped with her

bluenose1986 Sun 12-Mar-17 21:05:27

I love it, I might be a little biased as my DS2's middle name is Ernest. I think it's a really strong name for a boy and Samuel is a brilliant first name.

Yika Sun 12-Mar-17 21:09:54

I think it's quite nice and I like family middle names. I think giving a second middle name to 'dilute' it if you really dislike it is the best solution as a pp has suggested.

TheApprentice Sun 12-Mar-17 21:10:20

My 8 yr old has Ernest as his middle name! It's after dhs grandad and dh has it as a middle name too. I'm glad its got so much positive feedback on this thread.

I wouldn't worry about it OP. I don't think anyone except family is aware of ds middle name at all.

ToastVacuum Sun 12-Mar-17 21:25:19

I quite like it, but that's not the point - you don't.

Traditions are all very well, but they should be flexible enough to allow for change too IMO, and to allow you to choose names you both like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now