Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on this baby name please

(48 Posts)
pixiehollow Sun 12-Mar-17 13:02:03

I've narrowed down my baby's names, OH wanted Summer, I have so many that I love but he didn't like any of them. (I love hippy unusual earthy names) I Like summer have always liked it, but didn't find it stood out enough for me, and also have a friend with a daughter called summer. I said to him I would like Rae in the name, half from my name and from a baby girl that we lost, her middle name had Reya in it, he said what about Summer-Rae and it stopped me in my tracks.. I felt goosebumps and think this might be THE name, so what do you guys think?

daisypond Sun 12-Mar-17 13:09:03

I really don't like double-barrelled first names, sorry. But Summer is very nice.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sun 12-Mar-17 13:23:31

Summer Rae Last name.
Drop the hyphen.
You can still refer to her, as her full title.
It's a lovely name, and a lovely tribute to your baby daughter.

theothercatpurred Sun 12-Mar-17 13:25:52

Summer Rae is lovely.

Summer-Rae is awful, sorry sad

SimplyNigella Sun 12-Mar-17 13:27:27

It's fine with Rae as a middle name but I hugely dislike hyphenated names.

Mumzypopz Sun 12-Mar-17 13:32:30

Too long with the hyphen. I always think hyphenated names are a bit chavvy sorry.

LizzieMacQueen Sun 12-Mar-17 14:01:43

Will she be born in the summer?

Sophronia Sun 12-Mar-17 17:44:55

I'd use it without the hyphen.

googietheegg Sun 12-Mar-17 19:39:48

I totally understand the importance of Rae but I can't help thinking your daughter might not feel like 'her own person'.

Puremince Sun 12-Mar-17 19:45:39

I'd also avoid the hyphen, because I think the two names run into each other. Summer Rae is lovely.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 12-Mar-17 19:48:23

Summer-Rae runs together too much and is too long also it reminds me of Summer Bay from Home and Away. Summer Rae Surname is fine though.

passingthrough1 Sun 12-Mar-17 19:53:45

Without the hyphen

SuperBeagle Sun 12-Mar-17 19:56:36

I have a DD with a double barrelled first name (without the hyphen though), but I'm not a fan of Summer-Rae. It's too wordy. It sounds like a description.

KeepCalm Sun 12-Mar-17 20:04:15

As the owner of a hyphenated name please don't.

As the mother of a DD with Rae for a middle name please do smile

NuffSaidSam Sun 12-Mar-17 20:05:29

I think it sounds like you're saying 'summery' with a speech impediment.

What's the weather like?

It's ver-ray summer-ray.

Also, the Home and Away thing. Also the chav thing.

But, if you love it then you should go for it. I've heard a lot worse and tbh the Rae will get dropped from everyday use quite quickly and she'll just be Summer.

I would have Summer and then Rae as a middle name. I would probably have another middle name inbetween Summer and Rae as well.

oleoleoleole Sun 12-Mar-17 20:28:02

It immediately makes me think summer ray of sunshine!! Or Summer Rays

ChippieBeanAndHorro Sun 12-Mar-17 20:31:42

Summerrae or Summer Rae imo.

It's a lovely sentiment.

HOWEVER; if you love Summer-Rae? Go for it. I'm not a fan of the hyphen. But it's not absolutely dreadful.

Buntysoven Mon 13-Mar-17 00:46:29

Sounds a bit like summary to me sorry. Rae is lovely as a mn tho

Elbi Mon 13-Mar-17 01:27:52

If it gives you the feels, go for it smile

It did make me think of Sugar Ray though! "Every morning there's a halo hangin from the corner of my girlfriend's four post bed..."

LouisevilleLlama Mon 13-Mar-17 01:54:55

Summers not bad but Summer Rae I'm not a fan of, sorry

LouisevilleLlama Mon 13-Mar-17 01:56:04

I also agree with the summary comments

sycamore54321 Mon 13-Mar-17 02:03:17

Like another poster, I don't think you should name a child in memory of a previously lost baby. That is too much baggage for her to carry and understand - although im sure it's not your intention, she might feel like she is merely a 'replacement' and not wanted and cherished in her own right. I don't say this to be hurtful and I am sorry for your loss.

ILikeSalmon Mon 13-Mar-17 05:49:07

Another vote for no hyphen

Hyphens are VERY chavvy
And there's really no need for a hyphen.

ChippieBeanAndHorro Mon 13-Mar-17 09:02:52

What about Summer Rose?

KeepCalm Mon 13-Mar-17 19:46:53

Thanks ILoveSalmon, nothing nicer than hearing someone call my name of 40yrs 'chavvy' hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now