Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Why does everyone hate the name Hayden? :-(

(76 Posts)
DonaldDuck15 Sat 11-Mar-17 17:55:38

We really wanted to call our newborn Hayden, so did a little Google and found lots of negative posts... Why is this? :-(

whensitmyturn Sat 11-Mar-17 17:56:55

I think it's lovely it was on my shortlist if I had a boy.

10Betty10 Sat 11-Mar-17 17:57:10

No idea. I like it.

olympicsrock Sat 11-Mar-17 17:58:16

I think that because it rhymes with Jayden it sounds a bit Chav - sorry!

WigglyWooWorm Sat 11-Mar-17 17:58:25

In my mind it goes with kayden, jayden etc. Wouldn't be to my taste but use it if you like it!

AuntieStella Sat 11-Mar-17 17:59:11

I really like the actress Hayden Gwynn, so it's got good associations for me.

GLLU Sat 11-Mar-17 18:00:00

If you love it, use it. Its an old english name. I know a retired Brigadier called Hedley who was one of the nicest, kindest men ever.

Its been tarnished by association with Jayden and Kayden which are names people that have poor associations in many peoples' minds.

ZilphasHatpin Sat 11-Mar-17 18:00:12

Reminds me of Hayden Christensen from Star Wars. A worse performance there has never been!

mnbvcxzl Sat 11-Mar-17 18:00:13

In the UK it is definitely seen as chavvy. I think it's a pretty girls name - i.e. Hayden Pan....

triskele Sat 11-Mar-17 18:01:33

Because it's a 'chav' name.

Immediately conjures up and image of a teenage kid in a tracksuit riding a bike that's way too small for him.

MaisyPops Sat 11-Mar-17 18:02:38

Similar to other people. I'm not a fan og hayden, kayden, jaden etc.

Plus, I work with kids and this sounds awful but you end up seeing behaviour/personality patterns in names. (Less obvious patterns for really common names like Sam, Will, Sophie, Jessica etc)

LarrytheCucumber Sat 11-Mar-17 18:03:36

Surely Hayden is Welsh.

TheCakes Sat 11-Mar-17 18:05:12

Is it really chav? I always thought it was posh, like the composer. There was a Hayden at my uni and he was a right toff!

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 11-Mar-17 18:05:13

I dont hate it but prefer Aiden or Hadrian

Mathena Sat 11-Mar-17 18:06:27

I don't know. I know a very civilised respectable :-p and privileged Haydn (without the e though, probably after the composer)

MrsMoastyToasty Sat 11-Mar-17 18:06:43

It's the surname of my former boss. So it's a "no " from me.

Letseatgrandma Sat 11-Mar-17 18:08:40

It's in the Hayden, Jayden, Kayden/Jaiden/Kaiden box in my head-I'm not keen on any of them.

ShowOfHands Sat 11-Mar-17 18:08:55

It's the combination of surname and rhyming with Jayden/Kayden. People make a socio-economic judgement about it.

JonSnowsWhore Sat 11-Mar-17 18:09:20

Maisy can I ask you what behaviour/personality pattern you notice with a Harrison, if any? No reason just wondering blushwink

DonaldDuck15 Sat 11-Mar-17 18:10:08

:-( I think we may have to give it a miss, unfortunately.

Mathena Sat 11-Mar-17 18:11:03

Any name of celtic or gaelic origin which is popularised in the united states and then exported back to us with a twist sounds worn out. (Aidan - normal name, its usage steady over the last few decades. Americans discover it, they like it, they love it, they wear it out. They give it a spin zaydan, Jaydan....)
But Zade is a nice name and so is Jay. I've heard worse. Just plain Aidan safer though.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Sat 11-Mar-17 18:12:04

I have a lovely boy in my class called Kaden so the 'ayden' names aren't tarnished for me.

If you like it, go for it. Try not to let MN sway you. It's been decided on here that the name I gave to my DD is a Kardashian name even though it's not Kim, Khloe, etc... I still think it's beautiful.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sat 11-Mar-17 18:18:53

Chavy I think

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 11-Mar-17 18:20:57

It just screams chav to me. Same with
Jayden
Mason
Rueben
Reilly
Harrison.

DonaldDuck15 Sat 11-Mar-17 18:36:57

Mathena what? Jaden is a biblical name, so I assume Jayden is a spelling variation of that. It didn't come from Aidan. Hayden comes from Haydn (I know it's pronounced differently) and honestly, Caden to me comes from Cadence (although I know it officially doesn't).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: