Talk

Advanced search

A real but unique name for a baby boy

(71 Posts)
RortyCrankle Sat 11-Mar-17 12:13:02

I am currently enjoying watching Sleepy Hollow on Amazon Prime and one of the main characters is Ichabod. It is apparently a real name: Ichabod is named by the Books of Samuel as the brother of Ahitub.

So who's going to be first to name their new baby son Ichabod? grin

PhilODox Sat 11-Mar-17 12:17:30

grin Ichabod Crane is the only person I've come across named Ichabod!

I give you Athelstan, Cuthbert, and Osbert. Highly popular a millennium ago.

Ontopofthesunset Sat 11-Mar-17 12:22:12

If it's 'real', it's not unique.

reuset Sat 11-Mar-17 12:31:05

Yes, ontopofthesunset. Also it is and has been used in the UK, it's just a rarity. I can't think why grin

RortyCrankle Sat 11-Mar-17 12:40:40

Aww you had to spoil it Ontopofthesunset. It doesn't exactly trip off the tongue doesn't it grin

Wasn't there a professor at Hogwarts by the name of Cuthbert something or other, so a bit more recent than a millenium smile

Pencilvester Sat 11-Mar-17 12:51:02

Has 'unique' had its definition changed, like 'literally' did?

RortyCrankle Sat 11-Mar-17 13:34:27

Not really - it's just the holy grail on here is often to find a 'yoonique' name and Ichabod isn't likely to be found in many or any baby name lists which makes it rare but quite rightly not unique.

I am duly admonished - this was meant to be a lighthearted thread :P

ImperialBlether Sat 11-Mar-17 13:36:47

Cuthbert was quite a popular name around the end of the 19th century. I doubt anyone would choose it now, though.

ClaryIsTheBest Sat 11-Mar-17 15:44:33

Yup, Cuthbert Binns (?) the boring ghost teaching about goblin wars :D

Emmett, Ulrik, Benajah, Cassian, Uriel, Aurelius, Alois, Castiel, Albus, Arrow, Gunther, Bertram, Bernhard, Lars, Koah... I think these are pretty unusual (although admittedly not genuinely unique wink

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 11-Mar-17 15:49:59

I really like Lars and Arrow. 😄

ClaryIsTheBest Sat 11-Mar-17 15:53:03

sugar I also like Lars. It's like the little ice bear, which is imo a really great name association smile

Plus, it has ben outside the top 1000 names since at least 96 (according to names.darkgreener) which is pretty "unique" with out being "oonique" I'd say ;)

NuffSaidSam Sat 11-Mar-17 16:27:12

I know an Athelstan. Only one though, so he is unique among his friends/classmates etc. although obviously not unique among all people who have ever lived anywhere, ever.

I quite like Cassian. Not keen on Ichabod though.

Ethelswith Sat 11-Mar-17 16:32:19

I know a teenage Cuthbert

AuntieStella Sat 11-Mar-17 16:34:52

You could try Godfrey, Adolf, Hrothgar, Grendel, Obed, Habakkuk?

JonSnowsWhore Sat 11-Mar-17 16:44:08

Ichabod or now 'bodie' is my step dads nickname for my 3 year old. Was having a nightmare agreeing on names with the OH & his family getting involved with our choices so I said right sod you all! I might aswell just call him ichabod! & now it's stuck with my step dad lol

crapfatbanana Sat 11-Mar-17 16:50:50

Uther, Ethelred, Gailard, Galadriel, Feock, Casvelyn, Carasek, Branwalather, Alwar, Branok, Uuorien, Vorgenos, Henna, Hicca, Isarnouallanos, Hannibal, Jodoc, Wella, Ythel, Ust, Drustan,Teudar, Rewan, Rumon, Raedwulf, Pascus, Meriawn, Lallow, Lleu, Kenver, Cuby, Keby.

Not unique, but old Celtic (Cornish, Breton, Welsh) and old British. Probably not many of these around.

RortyCrankle Sat 11-Mar-17 18:02:54

JonSnowsWhore
Ichabod or now 'bodie' is my step dads nickname for my 3 year old. Was having a nightmare agreeing on names with the OH & his family getting involved with our choices so I said right sod you all! I might as well just call him ichabod! & now it's stuck with my step dad lol

Brilliant grin

Wow that's quite a list Crapfatbanana shock

LarrytheCucumber Sat 11-Mar-17 18:08:01

I remember a woman on Radio 4 talking about why her son was called Miraculous Joseph. She sounded Irish. He must be nearly 40. I bet he calls himself Joe.

TeenAndTween Sat 11-Mar-17 19:07:29

Of course Ichabod is a real name!

Dr Seuss ABC: Ichabod is itchy and so am I

How about Walter or Cecil?

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 11-Mar-17 20:10:26

Or Wulfric, or Cedric.

SenseiWoo Sat 11-Mar-17 20:14:19

I know an Ulric. It's a fantastic name.

HainaultViaNewburyPark Sat 11-Mar-17 20:23:02

I know boys (all aged 12 or younger) called Boaz (it's biblical), Clement, Columbus, Dennis, Elvis, Enoch, Ivo, Joachim, Perseus and Quinn. I can't imagine any of these are terribly common names these days.

ATailofTwoKitties Sat 11-Mar-17 20:28:34

I know an Edric, Ignatius and Edred.

And DS claims to know a Spinoza.

Purplebluebird Sat 11-Mar-17 21:46:23

My "ex brother in law" was Lars. Lars-Terje in fact (Terye).

ShowOfHands Sat 11-Mar-17 21:49:57

Quinn is quite popular atm with boys and girls. I also know 2 Ivos under the age of 5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now