Talk

Advanced search

Names you used to not be keen on, but now love?

(16 Posts)
Rockaby Sat 11-Mar-17 10:33:37

Hoping this will be a happy, positive thread!

I have had a total u-turn on some baby names, which I used to not be all that keen on and now absolutely love.

Boys:
Edmund
Christopher
Robin

Girls:
Penelope
Beatrice
Caroline

Wonder if anyone else has had similar big changes of heart for the better about some baby names.

TheTartOfAsgard Sat 11-Mar-17 17:11:25

I used to hate the name Imogen but if ds2 (due in June) was a girl that would have been what I called her.

As an opposite, If ds1 (now 12) was a girl he would have been Enid, which I cringe at now 😂

Izzyathome Sat 11-Mar-17 19:58:10

Ooh good thread! I am terrible for changing my mind about names as time goes on (and often because other people have used them and verify them for me, yes I'm that fickle!)

I used to shy away from overly posh boys names, 5 years it seemed very try hard to call your son Sebastian or Barnaby or Hugo. Now I really love these names.

For girls I used to think the old lady names were a step too far and preferred pretty names like Isabelle, Elissa, Georgia, Lucia. Nowadays I really really love Margot, Agnes, Audrey, Nancy etc.

Ask me again 5 years from now! Wonder if everyone else is as changeable...

Izzyathome Sat 11-Mar-17 19:59:58

Also I'm with you on Penelope OP! Used to cringe at it and now love it, esp with Nell as a nnsmile

Rockaby Sat 11-Mar-17 20:19:37

YY Imogen is another one I love now but wasn't keen on before.

I wonder what I'll think in a few years too izzy.. I was looking at my old list of names when I had my DD and some of them I really don't like anymore. The name we chose, I still love though.

ChippieBeanAndHorro Sat 11-Mar-17 21:00:39

Amynta! ;)

Love it so much... If DC2 is a girl. At first I was a bit unsure (like a butchered version of Araminta) but I absolutely adore that name nowadays.

crapfatbanana Sat 11-Mar-17 21:13:54

Jocelyn
Sharon
Beatrix
Ivana
Emma

crapfatbanana Sat 11-Mar-17 21:15:31

Forgot the boys:

Leon
Charles
James
Henry

crapfatbanana Sat 11-Mar-17 21:20:06

Thought of more that have grown on me:

Josephine, Frida, Maude, Nancy

Davey, Gregory, Tobias (still hate Toby), Glen

PageNowFoundFileUnderSpartacus Sun 12-Mar-17 17:19:05

Izzy Hugo was the first boy's name I thought of when I read the thread.

My biggest u-turn name is Harriet. Really disliked it when I was younger, absolutely love it now.

longestlurkerever Sun 12-Mar-17 17:24:56

I think i have more tolerance for upper middle class names now than when i was younger. Dm wanted to call me Imogen and i used to be so glad she didn't but now i think maybe i could have pulled that off. Agnes yes, agree. Not so keen on other old lady names though except Edith.

fluentinsarcasm Sun 12-Mar-17 23:03:25

I used to swing towards 'frilly', prefer strong names now like Ingrid and Claudia.

Astro55 Sun 12-Mar-17 23:10:51

DH refused Clara and Hariet - now quite popular so gutted we didn't use them!

Also liked Zac and Jacob but don't anymore!

Strange isn't it?

SaudadeObama Mon 13-Mar-17 02:13:01

Lucas. When DH suggested it I hated it. Now I love it and my little Lucas.

I hated Bernard, Hector and Lorenzo. Now I quite like them.

As a teen I loved the names Jade, Hannah and Aimee. Not keen now. Also Kyle and Kieran. I don't dislike them, I'm just not keen.

octonuddle Mon 13-Mar-17 11:22:38

Samantha! When I was a kid I'd call all my dolls Samantha....thought it was the most beautiful name in the world and certainly what I would call my daughter. I think it was because of Sam Fox shock. Thankfully when naming my DD 18 months ago it didn't make it near the list.

Gummibears Mon 13-Mar-17 11:36:08

I think 'posh' names tend to become mainstream over time, like

Sebastian
Quentin
Hugo

Isabella
Penelope
Arabella

I know quite a few of these now and like them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now