Talk

Advanced search

Child changing their name...

(84 Posts)
howdymums Thu 09-Mar-17 18:51:08

My DD wants to change her name for various reasons and I completely understand why and am allowing her to do so.

The question is how do you go about picking a new name?

She can't decide on one she likes, so we are all a bit stuck! Is a nickname sort of name better and easier to catch on? Sorry this seems like a bit of a pointless question ://

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 09-Mar-17 19:15:55

I'm sure she will soon have something in mind.
Of course, we're more than happy to help out ! 😄

ClaryIsTheBest Thu 09-Mar-17 19:33:46

Well, you could "give" her a new name? Or give her 2-3 options you like?

I personally am not a fan of too nickname-y names. I think they just take away choice. I mean, I'm assuming she's a minor... And people change. Soo much, right?

But yes, we're obviously happy to help smile!!

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 09-Mar-17 19:37:13

How about a friendly get together with her friends /close family? Put names /nicknames in a hat, make it an occasion and help her choose.

PoloZolo Thu 09-Mar-17 19:45:10

You don't say how old she is, but I think it would make a difference in how you'd go about introducing the new name. E.g. If she's quite young it would be quite easy as small children are more accepting, but if older may be easier with a nickname type name and also wait till she changes schools/goes to Uni or something where there's a natural time for her to introduce herself to people etc.
Maybe think of all the important things to her that she likes, places, animals, seasons, flowers, and see if there is anything with a special meaning to her?

howdymums Thu 09-Mar-17 19:54:32

Thanks all, she is 17 so uni would probs be the next best place but would like to get used to a name we pick. She like nature and music if anyone has any suggestions! Eg ivy

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 09-Mar-17 20:01:07

Is there anything fairly similar to her current name that she would like, to make the transition a bit easier? Or would that defeat the purpose?

Nature names I like include;

Rowan
Willow
Ivy
Poppy
Iris
Fern
Holly

howdymums Thu 09-Mar-17 20:07:58

santas, the closest thing to her name is Susan, as its not English, sadother than than not really. And she doesn't like Susan or Susie ! Xx

ClaryIsTheBest Thu 09-Mar-17 20:11:26

Ivy is lovely.

So... something short and nature or music related? Flora, Maple, Spring, Rowan, Willow, Glen, Dawn, Wren, Holly, Hazel, Rose, Lilac, Lily, Ash, Brooke, Poppy, Posy.

Aria, Piper, Reed, Talea, Melody, Cadence, Harmony would be pretty musical choices, I guess.

ClaryIsTheBest Thu 09-Mar-17 20:12:16

Btw... Does she like Suki?

PoloZolo Thu 09-Mar-17 20:13:19

Hmmm, can't think of many music names (Melody?) but nature names...

Iris
Daisy
Lily
Olivia
Dawn

How about going through the office of national statistics list for last year with her and go from there, there's literally all the names on it and you can see how popular they are.

PoloZolo Thu 09-Mar-17 20:13:53

Suzannah?
I also like Ivy by the way.

howdymums Thu 09-Mar-17 20:14:44

Other names we were considering Eden or Edie?

Bythebeach Thu 09-Mar-17 20:15:56

Saffron?

howdymums Thu 09-Mar-17 20:16:01

Polo, thanks that's a really useful idea smile

WallisFrizz Thu 09-Mar-17 20:16:20

Summer, Autumn, holly, heather, violet, viola, melody, Rose,

MarcelineQueen Thu 09-Mar-17 20:18:18

Eden/Edie are great choices. Eden formally with Edie as a nn. Love it

ClaryIsTheBest Thu 09-Mar-17 20:18:58

Eden is lovely! And Edie is cute!!

But Ivy is also nice.

MarcelineQueen Thu 09-Mar-17 20:19:12

Does she have a middle name and is she looking to change this too?

Whatslovegottodo Thu 09-Mar-17 20:22:58

Rosie/ Rose
Suki/ suri/ Suzy
Savannah
Willow
Rowan
Ash
Sara

Whatslovegottodo Thu 09-Mar-17 20:23:29

Love Eden and Edie!

howdymums Thu 09-Mar-17 20:23:57

Marceline, no middle name unfortunately! xx

howdymums Thu 09-Mar-17 20:26:43

Her name does have a Z in it, so any suggestions of names / nicknames with a Z in may be great ! smilesmilesmilesmile

PoloZolo Thu 09-Mar-17 20:27:23

Here's another idea, what about thinking of the people she admires? Could be someone she knows personally, like a teacher, family friend etc or someone well known or from history.
Good luck with choosing!

howdymums Thu 09-Mar-17 20:31:08

Polo that's another good suggestion thank you!

I mentioned Summer to her, she likes it but is worried it sounds too "made up" if you know what I mean?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now