Talk

Advanced search

Agnes? (Nn Nancy?)

(63 Posts)
Izzyathome Thu 09-Mar-17 07:13:21

I recently met a really adorable blonde curly two year old girl called Agnes and it has really turned me on to the name. It's my grandma's name so it would have a nice meaning for us. She was always known as Nancy and we already have Nancy on our list - but suddenly the full name of Agnes feels fresher.
Do you think Agnes is nice on its own? Would you have Agnes nn. Nancy? Or just Nancy? Or neither?

toomuchfaster Thu 09-Mar-17 07:16:26

I like both, but in no way is Nancy an nn for Agnes. Choose the one you love best and go with it.

Izzyathome Thu 09-Mar-17 07:21:41

I think you're right. Makes me wonder for the first time how gran ended up as a 'Nancy'! Thanks.

ClashCityRocker Thu 09-Mar-17 07:28:46

I don't recognise nancy as a nickname for Agnes either.

I like Nancy though. Not keen on Agnes personally but that's just personal taste.

By grampy was Peter nicknamed Joe! No idea why, think maybe the older generation had an odd approach to nicknames.

Floralnomad Thu 09-Mar-17 07:30:11

Nancy is a common nn for Anne / Ann / Agnes as well as being a name in its own right . I don't like either of the names and you risk Nancy ending up as Nan at school / friends .

Floralnomad Thu 09-Mar-17 07:32:15

Btw , lots of older people were never known by their proper names because they had been named after people in the family so we're called something else to differentiate . I had an uncle Terry and his real name was Sidney .

sonlypuppyfat Thu 09-Mar-17 07:34:13

Ages will end up as Aggy do you want that

LittleCandle Thu 09-Mar-17 07:34:54

Nancy is not a nickname for Agnes. Senga or Nessie are the nicknames for that. You know you're Scottish if you have an Agnes in the family! Its practically the law.

Jooni Thu 09-Mar-17 07:35:03

I think Agnes is fab! Less keen on Nancy but it's a sweet nickname, especially considering the most obvious alternative is Aggie confused

EsmesBees Thu 09-Mar-17 07:37:06

I prefer Ness or Nessa as a nickname for Agnes.

danTDM Thu 09-Mar-17 07:40:07

It's lovely and also really sounds fab in French.

Not keen on Nancy.

heron98 Thu 09-Mar-17 08:53:33

I think it's really ugly. Sorry.

whifflesqueak Thu 09-Mar-17 08:58:01

Nancy is a nickname for Agnes. you can ask my very Scottish nana.

my dd is called Nancy at home and is an Anne on her birth certificate.

it has never caused any confusion. it's a perfectly legitimate nickname. Google it.

user1478957523 Thu 09-Mar-17 08:58:28

My mum is 72 and her birth name is Agnes, but she has always been known as Nancy! So I think it was quite common then to use Nancy as a nn. I think they are both nice but I prefer Agnes.

HarrietVane99 Thu 09-Mar-17 09:04:59

Not keen on Agnes. What about Annis? It's a variant of Agnes, also Scottish, I believe, and would avoid people calling her Aggie. Autocorrect wants to make it Annie, so you'd probably get a lot of that, though.

HelenDenver Thu 09-Mar-17 09:14:01

The "sound" is quite similar so I can see why Nancy was a NN.

I do prefer Nancy because I don't like the "ag" sound, also think Aggie is a likely NN

Abetes Thu 09-Mar-17 09:18:11

I know two teenage girls called Agnes amongst my dc's friends. Both are shortened to Aggie. I wouldn't have liked the name at all before meeting these two girls but they are so lovely that I have warmed to it.

MrsNuckyThompson Thu 09-Mar-17 10:05:05

Nancy is an extremely normal nn for Agnes in Scotland, so ignore PPs who disagree!

I like both names but didn't use because of an abundance of aged relatives jn the family!

ToastVacuum Thu 09-Mar-17 10:10:27

I haven't heard of Nancy as a nickname for Agnes but clearly it's legit so go for it smile

ClaryIsTheBest Thu 09-Mar-17 12:32:18

I like Nancy smile

FirstSeemItThenBeIt Thu 09-Mar-17 12:34:49

Agnes is an old lady name, and not in the good way. And I'm Scottish!

Just go with Nancy. Using Nancy as a nickname for Agnes is like calling your daughter Susan and giving her the nickname Bella. confused

villainousbroodmare Thu 09-Mar-17 12:36:01

Nancy is lovely, sort of fresh and ruffly and bouncy. I also like Annis a lot.
Agnes is grim enough to my ears and Aggie is a shocker.

ClaryIsTheBest Thu 09-Mar-17 13:02:54

Nancy is lovely, sort of fresh and ruffly and bouncy.

Right? it's a really lovely namesmile!!

Agnes is a very depressed name imo. And of a person with greasy hair.

Maybe because of an adoption of Fucking Amål I once watched?

2014newme Thu 09-Mar-17 13:05:27

Both fine but neither is a shortened or nickname of the other they are two different names

ThursdayLastWeek Thu 09-Mar-17 13:08:35

I love Agnes.
Personally I wouldn't use Nancy as a nn but only because it's a perfectly sensible stand alone name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now