Talk

Advanced search

When did you start seriously considering names?

(8 Posts)
Lemondrop09 Wed 08-Mar-17 17:53:06

I'm 10 weeks pregnant. While TTC, I thought about baby names a lot. Now it's actually happening, I'm finding I don't really want to think about it. It's weird.

I've been quite sick with HG, which hasn't helped matters. And suddenly I'm so focused on that, and worried about just getting a healthy baby st the end of it, I'm not really thinking seriously about names (or shopping for equipment or anything really). It's all a bit surreal and I can't really relax and believe this is actually going to happen. I know it's still early days and lots of time for planning, but I wish I could start enjoying thinking about the future, names etc

When in your pregnancy did you start to seriously think about and discuss names with your partner? Did you go off names during the pregnancy so it's better not to decide too soon?

RebeccaCloud9 Wed 08-Mar-17 20:01:49

First time round I thought about it a bit from around half way through but we didn't discuss names until she was born and didn't choose her name until she was a few days old. This time round, I've been making a list for the last week and again, we won't discuss it until the baby is born. I just like the idea of deciding the actual name once the baby is born and we can see it. Also that way, we can't go off the name by the time it is born, or get too attached to one that is then chosen by one of our pregnant friends.

There really is no rush - you don't have to register the name until the baby is 6 weeks old! Don't put pressure on yourself and just start thinking when the time is right for you. You'll find the perfect name at some point, it doesn't matter when.

user1472334322 Wed 08-Mar-17 20:29:55

With ds1 we'd thought about girls names but not really about boys. Ironically we talked about boys names the night I went into labour!! We knew ds2 was a boy but didn't really think about names for him until he came along. It was so hard to choose as he looked so like ds1 as a newborn! In the end we went for ds1's choice of name!

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Wed 08-Mar-17 20:32:52

My last ds was dh first dc. The night after the 20 weeks scan we decided to stay awake til 2am until we chose a name!! We fell asleep without a result. Both went to work the next day and when we got home both suggested the same name!! And not once had it been mentioned the previous evening!! Mad!!

elQuintoConyo Wed 08-Mar-17 20:34:34

After the 20wk scan when we also found out DS was going to be a DS, we started bandying names about. Didn't tell a SOUL in case of negative or indifferent comments (he has a dog's name according to MN grin). We were going to call him Barnaby but chickened out- pity as he is SUCH A BARNABY!!

Buying baby things and getting things together, from abkut 7 months, when I wasn't too big and unwieldy and tired to shop, but - touch wood - not likely to pop prematurely. As it was we did one trip to Ikea to kit us out and a couple of shops for clothes/supplies and we were done.

For a lot of my pregnancy I was trying not to blow chunks on an hourly basis.

Congratulations Lemondrop09 and don't tell anyone the name until yoyr baby is here winkflowers

lemureyes Sat 11-Mar-17 11:20:31

We decided first names long before we even got married, never mind when we were actually expecting. We decided middle names just before our 12 week scan. It would seem odd if we had any other names for our first boy and first girl!

But there is no rush and just remember a baby doesnt really suit a particular name, it grows into it.

emwithme Sat 11-Mar-17 11:29:05

We've had a boys name - including middle - FOREVER (since way before TTC).

We have another 33 weeks to work out a girl's name (although there are a couple in the running).

Rockaby Sat 11-Mar-17 11:29:16

I started thinking about them when the news I was pregnant had really sunk in. I think I started talking about them with DH after our 12 week scan and decided for sure about a month before I was due. We had very different tastes in names so we talked a lot about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now