We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can't agree on any names for DS2!

(24 Posts)
Fizzball Tue 07-Mar-17 19:31:01

DH and I can't agree on any names for son number 2. DS1 is Evan and DH picked it so we agreed that I'd get to pick DS2's name but DH makes a face at everything I suggest.

Names I like are:

Mateo - I love this so much but we live in England and don't speak Spanish so I worry people will hate it and make fun of it. DH thinks it's weird. Both of us dislike Matthew.
Cary - I love this too but it will get confused with Carrie all the time, won't it?
Philip
Henry
Bryn
Nicholas
Idris

DH likes:

Fred/Freddie
Alexander
Oliver

I think they're boring!

Would it be terrible to use Mateo? I've got a few weeks to go so I might end up disliking it but it's been at the top of my list my entire pregnancy!

Shylo Tue 07-Mar-17 19:35:06

Did you make at face at your husbands suggestions when he got to choose?

Frankly I'd ignore him. He had his choice and now it's yours. Mateo is lovely

ClaryIsTheBest Tue 07-Mar-17 19:39:02

I really like Mateo. It's lovely!!

Idris, Philip and Henry are also really nice.

Oliver is actually rather boring imo...

Rockaby Tue 07-Mar-17 19:41:09

Mateo is lovely.

I don't know if it 'goes with' Evan all that well, but it depends if that bothers you.

Bryn is really nice too.

Fizzball Tue 07-Mar-17 19:41:57

Oh, it's good-natured face making! He will go along with whatever I choose, really, I just don't like the idea of him not loving whatever name I choose! grin

Mateo is lovely, it just sounds so... sturdy, haha. Right now I can't imagine using anything else!

sonlypuppyfat Tue 07-Mar-17 19:48:37

Freddie is awful, Bryn is lush!

Sophronia Tue 07-Mar-17 22:02:20

I love Cary, and like Philip, Bryn, Nicholas and Idris.

Wolfiefan Tue 07-Mar-17 22:04:10

Bryn and Idris go much better with DS name. I wouldn't use Mateo without a Spanish link.

TheUnicorns Tue 07-Mar-17 23:17:11

Sorry I'm with your husband blush

Nicholas is okay but doesn't go with Evan. Mateo I think is really out of place if you're not in any way affiliated with Spanish/Mexican culture?

Sorry to be a negative nelly!

TheTantrumCometh Tue 07-Mar-17 23:42:33

Potentially not helpful to suggest new names, but what about Isaac? I have one and his middle name is one of your options. I also love Evan but DH has vetoed it.

TheTartOfAsgard Tue 07-Mar-17 23:46:40

Is mateo Matty-oh or matey-oh? I've seen it written before but never pronounced.

Joeybee Wed 08-Mar-17 00:04:24

Go with what YOU want, he decided DS1, so you get to pick now.
I love Matteo and Mathias, but, as a white British person with no Spanish links...I'm not sure if it's okay or not. I've had the same concerns.
Probably people would just accept it, and Matteo isn't too out there. He'd probs get nicknamed Matt or Matti though - not sure how you feel about that. Off your list I like Henry and Nicholas best.

Fizzball Wed 08-Mar-17 00:08:58

It's Mah-tay-oh.

I'm not so bothered about Mateo not going with Evan but the lack of a Spanish link does worry me.
Also people can be so scathing and rude about new baby's names and the way people reacted when we told them we were expecting DS2 makes me believe they won't be nice if I name him Mateo.

No need to be sorry, Unicorns! You do sound like my mum, though... She agrees with DH too shock grin

I'm totally open to new suggestions! Isaac is nice but it's FIL's name so I wouldn't want to use it.

TheUnicorns Wed 08-Mar-17 00:25:46

I do know how you feel though. I desperately love Etienne but as I have no French links it's just a bit too eccentric for me to really use!

Do you like quite classic boys names? (Going by Henry and Nicholas).

Jooni Wed 08-Mar-17 07:43:37

Sounds like Mateo is the one.

I know it's easy to say, but try not to care too much what other people think. If they're going to be scathing and rude about a new baby's name, that's their problem. Pretty soon it will just be his name.

Mateo is a great name and I think it goes nicely with Evan. I don't think you need any Spanish links - it's not that niche. Easy enough to spell and pronounce too. Go for it, sounds like you feel like it's the right name for this baby!

Gummibears Wed 08-Mar-17 08:28:03

Mateo is a great name!

notMarlene Wed 08-Mar-17 08:33:58

Bryn goes very nicely with Evan. Idris too.

Mateo is a great name but odd with Evan. Unfortunately here will probably be years and years of people thinking DS is saying "Matthew" but not able to pronounce his name correctly.

Rockaby Wed 08-Mar-17 09:12:20

I think another thing to maybe consider is how Mateo would sound in the accents where you live. I always do this with baby names! Mateo could be a tricky one in some accents.

Fizzball Wed 08-Mar-17 17:45:08

I like a few classic names but the only 2 we could reasonably use are Henry and Nicholas. I love Benjamin but that's DH's name!

Good point about the accents. DH and I have (I think) plain Midlands accents but live up North currently so something to consider!

I was worrying about people mishearing it but it happens with my own very dull and simple name and people call Evan all sorts too - Heaven, Seven, Even, Ivan... grin

It really does feel like the right name!

TheUnicorns, I think we should both just go for it and use the names we love!

TheUnicorns Thu 09-Mar-17 00:11:13

Yes why not!

Accent is a good point and one I had never considered. Would you be appalled if people pronounced it Mateo, like patio shock

GRW Thu 09-Mar-17 07:03:45

How about Theo which sound a bit like Mateo but is more mainstream?

Gummibears Thu 09-Mar-17 10:53:39

Mateo is much nicer and more interesting than Theo imo!

Railgunner1 Sat 11-Mar-17 07:56:44

Idris!

Mumzypopz Sat 11-Mar-17 21:09:03

Mateo off Benidorm!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now