Talk

Advanced search

Patrick

(36 Posts)
CaipirinhasAllRound Mon 06-Mar-17 18:05:48

Anyone know any Patricks and if so does their name get shortened? I love it but hate Pat and Rick and not keen on Paddy (not Irish in the slightest, assume Paddy would perceived to be Irish?)
Having written all that, guess Patrick would be a daft option hmm

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 06-Mar-17 18:38:55

Yes, usually Paddy, but I love it.
Don't like Pat, or Rick.

Leanin15yearsmaybe Mon 06-Mar-17 18:43:15

I know several Patricks who are just Patrick. Nobody shortens their name. One who is Irish gets called paddy but that is how he introduces himself. People will mostly call someone how they wish to be addressed ime

BertrandRussell Mon 06-Mar-17 18:48:20

I have a Patrick. He is usually Patrick- but sometimes Pat or Rick or Trick. He was Patch as a baby but very firmly put a stop to that as soon as he was old enough! He is Padraig or Little Pat (despite being over 6ft!) to older Irish family.

He is never Paddy. He is named after his granddad who hated Paddy because he had suffered a lot of anti Irish prejudice when he came to England in the 50s.

We are a family with lots of Irish blood, although we live in the South of England, the children and I speak posh and dp Yourshire. Nobody has ever questioned why ds is Patrick. Go for it. Lovely name!

Sophronia Mon 06-Mar-17 18:56:08

I know one who goes by Tricky

babyunicornvomit Mon 06-Mar-17 18:56:56

I know a Patrick, he's always been Patch or Patchy haha x

wobblywonderwoman Mon 06-Mar-17 18:58:03

My younger is Patrick and gets called 'P'

Zhabr Mon 06-Mar-17 18:58:40

I know Patrick who is Patrick and Patrick who is Paddy but not Irish. They are teenagers.
I love Tricky, never heard of that.

Sabistick Mon 06-Mar-17 19:00:05

Lovely name, practical a d varible

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Mon 06-Mar-17 19:01:03

The Patrick I know is about 40 and is just Patrick. I don't know if he used a cute version when he was a kid, but I can't see him putting up with it now.

JaniceBattersby Mon 06-Mar-17 19:04:18

My Patrick is known by everyone as Patch or Patchy. I'm guessing I know babyunicorn. smile

He's only little yet though, so it may evolve as he gets older. My eldest son's name was 'changed ' by his pals at school, which is fine as long as he likes it.

Tartyflette Mon 06-Mar-17 19:05:39

DS is Patrick and family/friends of family have never shortened it, however all his friends call him Paddy and that's how he introduces himself.

Obviously I like it very much, and it's a family name on DH's side -- 2nd generation Irish. Both versions suit him, IMO.

Also I don't think Paddy is necessarily seen as Irish -- e.g. Paddy Ashdown, the writer Patrick Leigh Fermor, also known as Paddy. Racing driver Paddy McNally (Sarah Ferguson's squeeze before she married Andrew.)

hoddtastic Mon 06-Mar-17 19:07:09

i know quite a few.
Patch, Podge, Patsy, Paddy and Patrick.

viques Mon 06-Mar-17 19:07:35

I know a baby Patrick who is absolutely my favourite baby ATM, he is a sturdy , solemn faced,thoughtful and totally gorgeous little chap. He is definitely a Patrick, no nicknames for him, he would just give you The Look.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 06-Mar-17 19:08:04

My friend Patrick is Patch. He's a musician and it really suits him.

BikeRunSki Mon 06-Mar-17 19:09:34

I know 2 Patricks (60 ish and 10 ish) who are just Patrick.

Sweepingchange Mon 06-Mar-17 19:10:48

I love the name Patrick and was planning to call my baby that if I'd had a boy.

It is a name that is classless and it works well in many different languages too!

April241 Mon 06-Mar-17 19:16:06

I have 5 month old twins and my son is Patrick. We call him Patrick and Paddy, either or really. My OH's cousins wee boy (2 years old) tried to say his name the other week and came out with Patch so that's what he shouts anytime he sees him.

Gummibears Mon 06-Mar-17 19:16:22

We know a Patrick known as Pat

Letyoufly Mon 06-Mar-17 20:04:59

I know three 4/5 year olds called Patrick who are just known as Patrick. The Patricks I know who are my age are all known as Paddy but their families call them Patrick! I'm Irish- not sure if it would different elsewhere!

CaipirinhasAllRound Tue 07-Mar-17 09:27:53

Am liking Patch! Thanks all

BertrandRussell Tue 07-Mar-17 09:45:50

grin my Patrick's first independent, clearly vocalized decision was a complete and immediate veto on the name Patch. He was about 2!

Rockaby Tue 07-Mar-17 10:03:33

Patrick is a very nice name. I've known a few.

Most have been Paddy, one was Pat and the other was a colleague who was always Patrick at work, though possibly he was something else at home.

wigglesrock Tue 07-Mar-17 11:22:21

Any my kids go to school with are just Patrick - never shortened. I know a few older Pats, no Paddys (for the same reason as Bertrand mentioned) and I've never known it to be shortened to Rick. It's a lovely name - we have a few in our family.

SumAndSubstance Tue 07-Mar-17 13:58:20

I only know much older 'Pats'. Of the below-40 Patricks that I know, 3 are 'Patrick' and one is 'Paddy', but he is Irish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now