Talk

Advanced search

Is Violet too popular ?

(43 Posts)
pixiepoop Mon 06-Mar-17 02:42:11

i like it but I really dont want everyone to be called it, opinions? is it too popular?

FreeNiki Mon 06-Mar-17 02:46:12

I know two new baby Violets in my circle of friends alone.

Also all you need to do is add the letter N and it becomes Violent and sounds exactly the same too. It isnt a nice sounding name imo.

Rockaby Mon 06-Mar-17 06:58:50

It's fairly popular, but we're not exactly swarming with them here (SE). I don't know many newborn babies thoughz

meettherussians Mon 06-Mar-17 07:48:15

No, it isnt. It was around 75 last year. To freeniki if you added a letter to most names it becomes another word, its just such a pointless thing to say.
My best friend had a Violet 2 years ago,it was adorable as a baby, so sweet on her as a little girl and a graceful beautiful name on a woman. She has had compliments wherever she goes with her, whenever anyone asks her name and they hear it, they always respond with a happy and immediate smile and remark how lovely it is. If you love it, go with it. People will always come up with negatives whatever the name.

Rockaby Mon 06-Mar-17 07:51:01

whenever anyone asks her name and they hear it, they always respond with a happy and immediate smile and remark how lovely it is

I like Violet, but this^^ is no measure of how nice a name is imho. I do this with every child I meet when I learn their name.

meettherussians Mon 06-Mar-17 07:53:36

I can see by the warmth of their smile and sparkle in their eyes they love it, its clear to see by body language when people are just being polite, IMO.

Scattymere Mon 06-Mar-17 07:56:49

I love Violet. I know one little girl, no others, there aren't enough Violets! By far the least common of the "flower names" out there but gorgeous.

Rockaby Mon 06-Mar-17 08:00:12

Well that is quite something meet. I've never come across a name which every person who hears it loves so much it puts a sparkle in their eye. OP, you'd be a fool not to use it by the sounds of meet's experience.

meettherussians Mon 06-Mar-17 08:02:32

Why such bitter sarcasm rock ? Just expressing my fondness, and many other peoples - for a lovely girls name. Hope your Monday gets better.

Ecureuil Mon 06-Mar-17 08:03:17

I only know one, she's two. I think it's lovely. It puts a sparkle in my eye wink

Rockaby Mon 06-Mar-17 08:03:29

I'm amused rather than bitter. Thanks for your concern though smile.

Ecureuil Mon 06-Mar-17 08:04:06

Hope your Monday gets better

grin

Rockaby Mon 06-Mar-17 08:04:17

I like the name too though OP, fwiw.

FiveMinutesAlone Mon 06-Mar-17 08:16:15

I've only ever met one Violet. She'd be about 7 or 8 now.

It's not a particularly popular name - as a pp says, in the bottom half of the top 100 girls names - but, looking at the Darkgreener website (lets you look at name popularity in England and Wales based on official ONS stats), it is a name that's risen a lot in popularity since 2006, and looks like it's still on the up. Whether it's going to keep rising and get very popular, or whether it's going to level out or even plummet in popularity soon is anyone's guess.

Joeybee Mon 06-Mar-17 08:55:58

In the UK Violet is only at 71 in the charts for last year. So it's not that popular..but I feel like it is gaining popularity. I can see why though, it's a fairly classic name, a strong name, nn potential, it's nice. I'm tempted by Violet too, but I want to see how much more popular it gets before I commit to it!

mum2be2boys Mon 06-Mar-17 09:23:38

I've never met a Violet in real life, I think it's a really pretty name :-)

ToastVacuum Mon 06-Mar-17 09:41:31

I like it and have never met a Violet.

Sistafromanuthamista Mon 06-Mar-17 12:24:46

It's becoming more popular but I don't think it'll ever be top 10. it's beautiful but I'm biased as it's my dds middle name (DP wouldn't have it as first name sad). I've not come across any irl but I would expect to.

Kweeeeeeenin84 Mon 06-Mar-17 12:26:13

If I have a girl I'm naming her Violet Rose smile I love it, even shorted to Vi its very sweet xx

mumsiedarlingrevolta Mon 06-Mar-17 12:26:42

I have never met a Violet IRL either-but think it is a lovely name smile

Jooni Mon 06-Mar-17 13:37:34

Love it, and it's really not that popular! I know of one little one, who's 4. It is trending upwards in popularity but it's the sort of name that's not to everyone's taste, so I can't see it becoming top 10. Such a great name.

Twinkletwinkle4 Mon 06-Mar-17 13:38:51

I always say I want to like this name but also hear violent and vile hmm

SerialCerealKiller Mon 06-Mar-17 13:41:19

Can't stand it. I know an adult Violet who is the strangest person you will ever meet though so that's probably why. I only know one child with the name.

Fluffylittleraccoon Mon 06-Mar-17 13:46:05

I like it, but I've met loads over the last couple of years. I think it'll become very popular in the next few years, if that bothers you.

MrsKnackered Mon 06-Mar-17 13:46:26

I know 3. One is 4, one is 17 and the other is 21. I wouldn't deem it too popular at all.
But then according to mumsnet everyone is called Noah also and I only know 2 hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now