Talk

Advanced search

If you had a long awaited baby girl, against all the odds, what would you call her?

(96 Posts)
needtobeanonforabit Wed 01-Mar-17 11:28:35

Hypothetical day dreaming thread as currently awaiting some potentially nasty test results for baby so looking for a welcome distraction to help keep calm/positive and think about other things.

We don't know the sex yet, but if a girl what could you call her that would be a special, but non tacky, name? Something that has a special meaning or other? It's been a very long road to get to this point and she would be our only child.

Am thinking Hallelujah is a bit much...? grin (Although you could shorten it to Lu/Lou or Halle for everyday?!) We really like this but it has not been well received by others. sad

Hope was another thought I had, but wondered is it a bit plain? Would it cause too much confusion in conversation every time someone used the word hope? I generally like traditional names e.g. Beatrice, Amelia, Harriet and etc

Not a fan of Joy or Faith either (sorry, hope not to offend anyone)

MrsDustyBusty Wed 01-Mar-17 11:31:25

I had an Argentinian friend whose mother was called Miracles. I thought that was wonderful.

Jooni Wed 01-Mar-17 11:33:00

My first thought was Beatrice or Beatrix! Beautiful, not overused, and means "she who brings happiness".

I like the reasoning behind Hallelujah but it is a bit much for an actual name. Maybe something like Mirabel, meaning "miracle"?

Really hope all is well with your little one. Very best wishes flowers

KatyBerry Wed 01-Mar-17 11:33:59

I know a Hosanna, Hosy for short

YoureMyWifeNowDave Wed 01-Mar-17 11:40:04

I have and her name is Caitlin Ellen, Caitlin means pure and Ellen means bright or shining light.

Orangebird69 Wed 01-Mar-17 11:41:01

Lois

ithakabythesea Wed 01-Mar-17 11:44:29

We had a daughter after tragedy and her middle name is Solace. I didn't want to give her a first name that marked her as our saviour, if you see what I mean, although she is.

needtobeanonforabit Wed 01-Mar-17 11:47:50

Awww Jooni, I didn't realise that Beatrice had such a special meaning, it's just a name I like the sound of. That gave me goosebumps, thank you blush

Hmm, not sure about Miracles, it is sweet though. I was going to reply that Hosana is a religious reference isn't it and we aren't, but then I think Hallelujah is also so that poopoos that too! Although we would be using Hallelujah more as an exclamation of joy, rather than as a biblical reference .. If that makes sense?

needtobeanonforabit Wed 01-Mar-17 11:50:52

Sorry cross posted, lovely names * ithakabythesea* and YoureMyWifeNowDave smile

thisismadness77 Wed 01-Mar-17 11:54:11

Abigail means fathers joy or similar...
I like names with lovely meanings but you've got to love the name too. I like Grace. We have a Neve.

blue2014 Wed 01-Mar-17 11:56:33

I love the name hope, it's what I would have called (IVF) DS if he'd been a girl

Alyx80 Wed 01-Mar-17 11:56:56

I would choose Mireya or Mireille, Names meaning miracle in Spanish/French.

lullaby23 Wed 01-Mar-17 12:26:53

Felicity - meaning happiness smile

NapQueen Wed 01-Mar-17 12:28:41

Aurora or Aurelia

BlueChampagne Wed 01-Mar-17 13:34:36

Second Felicity (has implications of luck, good fortune).

Backhometothenorth Wed 01-Mar-17 14:10:32

Miriam (and Maria) mean 'wished for child'. But we chose Esther for our 6 month old beauty as it means 'star' star

Yeahfine Wed 01-Mar-17 16:03:16

I know a Hope and think it is a beautiful name.

jaffacake2 Wed 01-Mar-17 16:05:56

Amy meaning beloved.

HeteronormativeHaybales Wed 01-Mar-17 17:35:47

Miranda.

NotRumpole Wed 01-Mar-17 18:04:27

I was coming on to say Abigail and Mireille, but she both have already been mentioned!

needtobeanonforabit Wed 01-Mar-17 19:06:39

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I am very taken with both Beatrice and Hope (although also still love Hallelujah too grin Do you think they work together as a first and middle name (not hyphenated)? Hope Beatrice [surname] or Beatrice Hope [surname]

I know a Felicity and she's not nice, despite her name so that's out! And Mirella just makes me think of the coil ... Isn't it called summit like that? 😂

This is really helping me to keep positive, thank you ladies xx

StarSpotter Wed 01-Mar-17 19:11:46

I was served by a woman in M and S called Blessing which I thought was gorgeous.

Mrscog Wed 01-Mar-17 19:12:57

I love the name Melody - might not be joyful enough though.

LemonBreeland Wed 01-Mar-17 19:13:15

Clementine

wobblywonderwoman Wed 01-Mar-17 19:15:03

Ah, hope all goes well for you. I named my first baby after a saint I prayed to while expecting (we are catholic)

But I always loved the name Anna - so pretty and elegant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now