Talk

Advanced search

Are Tilly and Teddy too similar?

(16 Posts)
VolvicIced Tue 28-Feb-17 15:28:11

We have a Matilda.
We love the name Edward for our son.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 28-Feb-17 15:35:09

Hm, I think they're a bit twee together tbh. Ed or Ned?

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Tue 28-Feb-17 15:38:55

Matilda & Edward are lovely names, but yes, Tilly & Teddy sounds like a CBeebies programme. A short that doesn't end in an -ee sound would work better if possible.

ArseyTussle Tue 28-Feb-17 15:41:31

Yes, barnstormingly twee. Tilly and Ed though, that's really lovely.

EssentialHummus Tue 28-Feb-17 15:46:25

Very twee. Could he be Ed / Eddie?

Jooni Tue 28-Feb-17 18:02:44

They're only nicknames, I think it's OK. Matilda and Edward are both great names and go really well together.

VolvicIced Tue 28-Feb-17 18:06:43

Honestly, I know he'll probably be Ed when older (and Matilda may be Mat) but I really like the NN Teddy, so would love to use that.

Thank you for the comments smile

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Tue 28-Feb-17 18:08:12

Tbf it's better than Tillie and Teddie.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Tue 28-Feb-17 18:09:56

Lovely names, I wouldn't be discouraged from choosing Edward because of one nick name.

Marmalade85 Tue 28-Feb-17 18:14:44

I know someone with a Teddy and Tilly

AmbivalentAmbivert Tue 28-Feb-17 19:11:07

It's not that they're too similar they're just too tooth achingly twee together.

Matilda and Edward sound lovely together though- much better.

Could you go Tilly and Edward? You can just use Teddy as a playful family name.

Edward is brilliant for fun family names:
I have an Edouardo Tedouardo The Bunny Bear (who's 14grin)

LittleMissUpset Tue 28-Feb-17 19:12:46

I know someone with a Tilly and a Ted and I think it works.

Bobbybobbins Tue 28-Feb-17 19:16:32

Eduardo Teduardo is brilliant! I have a 1 year old Teddy so need to come up with some funky nicknames (apart from Tubby because he is plump).

AmbivalentAmbivert Tue 28-Feb-17 19:27:04

Bobbybobbins I can also offer you Teddlington-Bear.

Obviously when your name is Edward you HAVE to add Bear to the end of all versions of your name- or your mother has to.

And of course plain old Edward Bear (I like to add 'Mr' to this: Mr Edward Bear) is Winnie the pooh- so you can riff on that too [grin e.g Bear of little brain when he's a doofus etc etc.

It's the best name.

SuperBeagle Tue 28-Feb-17 19:38:48

Ned and Matilda would be just about the most Australian combination ever. grin

I don't like Teddy as a nickname, but I think it's fine with Tilly. You won't often refer to your two children by name at the same time anyway.

sycamore54321 Wed 01-Mar-17 00:18:50

"You won't often refer to your two children by name at the same time anyway.".

Really? Presumably you aren't including the next fifteen or so years in that? My second isn't even three months yet and I call the pair of them "X and Y" all the time, so much so I run it altogether into nearly a single word!

Tilly and Teddy sound like children's entertainers to me. If you have a handful of other children in between so that it's Tilly, Mike, Jane and Teddy, that might be ok. But otherwise I'd avoid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now