Talk

Advanced search

Elena v. Nina (or Elena nickname Nina?)

(9 Posts)
prince4ever Mon 27-Feb-17 10:19:27

I like Elena (Uh-LAY-na -- controversial pronunciation I know), and my husband prefers Nina. I was thinking that maybe we could do Elena nickname Nina. Is that too far off? Gives us options, but I don't want to make her life too annoying!

Also is the Uh-LAY-na pronunciation uncommon? The only Elena I know pronounces it this way and I prefer it to Ellen-uh (though that's also lovely.) In the UK if that matters.

Rockaby Mon 27-Feb-17 10:39:32

Elena smile.

Rockaby Mon 27-Feb-17 10:42:18

Oh sorry, re Nina as a nn... I think it might be a bit forced personally. She's more likely to become Ella, Ellie, Elle or Leni imo.

I would have assumed it was pronounced Uh-lay-na too. There's a character in peep show called Elena who pronounces it that way I think.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 27-Feb-17 14:39:12

Sorry OP, I don't think Nina lends itself as a nick name for Elena.

Sophronia Mon 27-Feb-17 22:59:43

I prefer just Nina

IamNotDarling Mon 27-Feb-17 23:02:23

Not a nickname for Elena. E-ley-na is how I would say it.

SuperBeagle Mon 27-Feb-17 23:18:22

Elena and Nina are two separate names, and I can't see getting Nina from Elena as a nickname. It won't stick.

I like the look of Elena more, but like the sound and simplicity of Nina more, so I'd choose Nina.

sycamore54321 Mon 27-Feb-17 23:38:48

I agree that Nina and Elena just look like two different unrelated names. It doesn't really work to shorten one into the other.

Didiusfalco Mon 27-Feb-17 23:46:02

Have you been watching the Vampire Diaries?? I think that's the pronunciation they use. Both beautiful names but Nina as a nickname for Elena makes no sense to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now